What's With The Smiley Face?

Guest Noosh

Guest Noosh

Our newly adopted girl Emma, has started to become a little Diva!

I'm sure that she isn't the only Grey to do this, so I would appreciate a heads up on this: When she wants to avoid a command, she does the stretching, the wiggly slow walk, and then, that big innocent smiley facial expression! "if I'm cute and adorable she won't make me" look!

It almost works, it does make my heart melt. :beatheart

Is this the dawggie version of a toddler "trying it on?"

How do I handle this? I end up laughing at her, and she almost gets her way! :ghplaybow

She is playful and wants to show you that she means no harm, that she is a friendly girl. I normally call my boys to come to me, give them some attention, like cuddling... and after that we try again with the command.

...and I imitate their walk....

...but my neighbours think I'm kind of crazy. So no problem here with ruining my reputation.😊

Edited by smurfette

Sorry for butchering the english language. I try to keep the mistakes to a minimum.

Nadine with Paddy (Zippy Mullane), Saoirse (Lizzie Be Nice), Abu (Cillowen Abu) and bridge angels Colin (Dessies Hero) and Andy (Riot Officer).

Guest Noosh

She is playful and wants to show you that she means no harm, that she is a friendly girl. I normally call my boys to come to me, give them some attention, like cuddling... and after that we try again with the command.

...and I imitate their walk....

...but my neighbours think I'm kind of crazy. So no problem here with ruining my reputation.

Thanks for the advice; I can't help but cuddle her when she does it!

Not only do my neighbours see some sights- me out in my pink fluffy dressing gown, her in her purple fluffy night coat- but I live on a golf course, and those golfers start playing early. I wonder how many laugh at my encouragement for her to 'do wees' in the cold!

I have actually lost my easily embarrassed threshold.

I shall start doing the wiggle walk tomorrow morning. :clown:gh_runner

It's called grinning. Some greyhound do it and some don't. Enjoy your little Diva. :)

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

And I forget to mention, she is new and doesn't know you. She needs time to build a bond with you. But her interaction with you is very promising.

It sounds like you two are going to be wonderful companions.

Sorry for butchering the english language. I try to keep the mistakes to a minimum.

Nadine with Paddy (Zippy Mullane), Saoirse (Lizzie Be Nice), Abu (Cillowen Abu) and bridge angels Colin (Dessies Hero) and Andy (Riot Officer).

Brandy does the same thing when she does a big no-no and gets yelled at. She'll smile at me as big as she can and occasionally play bow as well. I agree that they do it to show that they're friendly and mean no harm!

Still melts my heart though. It's hard to yell at such cuteness. :wub:

Congrats on Emma, she sounds lovely!

1a_opt1_zpsmbvbxj5k.jpg

It sounds like what my Capri does when she flirts, but she doesn't do it to get out of things. She'll do it to strange men we encounter on walks. You know how dogs just instantly like some people on sight? It's that kind of thing. She'll lower her head a bit and wag it side to side as she walks up to them, with her eyes sparkling and mouth loose. It's a complete flirt!

If she sees that you have food and she wants some, she will also beg by suddenly becoming very pretty. That one is hard to describe but she just "turns it on".

Sharon, Loki, Freyja, Capri (bridge angel and most beloved heart dog), Ajax (bridge angel) and Sweetie Pie (cat)

Visit Hound-Safe.com by Something Special Pet Supplies for muzzles and other dog safety products

:gh_bow

Guest chickenpotpie

It sounds like what my Capri does when she flirts, but she doesn't do it to get out of things. She'll do it to strange men we encounter on walks. You know how dogs just instantly like some people on sight? It's that kind of thing. She'll lower her head a bit and wag it side to side as she walks up to them, with her eyes sparkling and mouth loose. It's a complete flirt!

If she sees that you have food and she wants some, she will also beg by suddenly becoming very pretty. That one is hard to describe but she just "turns it on".

OMG YAAAAASSSSS Lucky does this. There's a guy at the park we go to that she fell IN LOVE WITH. :hehe I told him its because he has a good soul.

OP it sounds like you and your pup have the start of a fantastic relationship. Lucky and I practice commands but when she gets bored with them she comes and cuddles up with her momma (damn near knocking me over at times!) And then there's the times when we're watching tv. She looks at me, I look at her, and next thing you know, LIIIIIICCCCKKK.... the entire length of my face.. (ew!) of course I make a big show of it, and she loves it because the girl is full of jokes.

IMO follow your instincts. Greys are smart and she already has your number. There are times when you have to be firm and they know it, and there's also times when they know that they can wiggle you out of that too.