Scary Day

Guest Jordan33

Guest Jordan33

So our day started at 3:30am when Adrien accidentally kicked my top heavy nightstand while she slept. I woke up screaming to a crash and a scared dog scrambling away on the slippery floor. Thankfully, the two items that got broken are easy to fix, those being a mug I was using to hold pens and a flashlight and for some odd reason when my glasses went flying the nose pads came off. They're the screw on variety, and will have to be replaced. Still have the screws! And a second pair of glasses!

Anyway, once we got our wits about us and fully took stock of the situation we laughed it off, picked everything up and went back to bed.

The lamp, alarm clock, and radio which also could have broken didn't! So grateful.

At noon we went for a walk, intent on some socializing during a sidewalk sale, which turned out to be very boring. We decided to go to the dog park instead. We had a good day there yesterday. She didn't play with the other dogs, but sorta sniffed them and walked around for a bit. Today there was only one dog we didn't know. The other dog wanted to play, but Adrien doesn't play. She growled at him once. The other dog liked to jump on people (me) just to say hi, and seemed really sweet. But he really wanted to play with her. She then approached him to sniff him, and the other owner and I thought this might be good. But not so much. She just wanted to say hi and walk away. He still wanted to play and became more active, now trying to jump on her. Well, don't cross this one for sure. We had a little tussle on our hands. We tried to separate them, but it took some doing. I ended up holding an empty martingale I'd grabbed wrong in my rush, before stepping far away and calling her to me. Thankfully she does come when called. Once we had them corralled, we both decided not to stick around.

Adrien and I continued our walk and then went home. It wasn't until I got home that I saw the "damage" that hadn't been visible earlier. She's got quite a few scratches and possible teeth marks. Nothing bleeding, thankfully, but still. I coated everything in neosporin and wrapped the worst looking ones on her leg in gauze and am now trying to keep her from chewing the gauze off, at least until bedtime.

I'm just glad that we're all in one piece, no one was seriously injured, but I'm still a little shaken over the experience.

She needs that dog park because there is no other fenced area near here and she needs some socializing. We'll be going back, but it's hard to know sometimes another dogs temperament ahead of time and whether it'll be a problem. She prefers hanging with people, or very chill dogs and likes to just follow me around. I know given time she'll get more comfortable and might actually start running around on her own, but it seems like we're a long way away from that happening at the park.

I would love to meet up with other greys, but they all seem to meet far away and i can't drive yet. (I've got to get my learners permit and start from scratch. Haven't driven in over five years for medical reasons that have been resolved.)

Anyway, I'm yammering on and there's an apartment to clean up. Thanks for listening.

Guest Scouts_mom

You don't say where you live--there might be some greytalkers near you!

Poor Adrien (and you)--what a way to wake up.

Each dog park is a bit different, but most people seem to always go at the same time. I find I have good luck with it being empty or almost empty just before dark. Probably very early in the AM is also good. The small dog side is usually empty and I'm used that as well if I don't like to look of who's in the big dog side.

Willow( Hi Tech Popandgo ) CGC #31965 Calico Salad x MayPop 8-9-93/9-24-07 Austin( Nodak Austin ) #55202 Chrisse's Twelve x Lotsa Liz 2-25-96/2-15-05 Matt( Kelsos Metaphor ) #90695 Oswald Cobblepot x Kelso's Movita 8-10-00/2-28-14 Buddy (Aljo Class Act) #78137 Action By Design x Miss Classy 12-8-98/8-29-09 Sonny (Onaim Excalibur)#97927 Flying Train x Rough Diamond 9-7-01/1-9-2016Hunter (SS Snow Roll) #35135 Craigie Whistler x Lightning Snow 10-4-2005/9-23-17 Leo (Yolo Empleo)#72060 4-13-18 Fiesta Paraguas x Mega Bien Hecho

Guest Jordan33

I would love to find other greys near me. We live in Boston, MA. We walked right by one when we left the park yesterday and I was ready to greet the owners, mouth open to say hi, but was ignored as they started to cross the street. I've been told there's a new grey in the neighborhood who looks just like Adrien, adopted about the same time too. Only know his name is Happy. We met one at day care last week, Simba, no owner present though. And I've heard there's another in the neighborhood that everyone seems to know, goes by the name Rosie, but I've not met her.

I've come close, but not close enough. Lol. Oh yeah, and we did see another from a distance once a few weeks ago.

Edited by Jordan33

Guest MnMDogs

I would love to find other greys near me. We live in Boston, MA. We walked right by one when we left the park yesterday and I was ready to greet the owners, mouth open to say hi, but was ignored as they started to cross the street. I've been told there's a new grey in the neighborhood who looks just like Adrien, adopted about the same time too. Only know his name is Happy. We met one at day care last week, Simba, no owner present though. And I've heard there's another in the neighborhood that everyone seems to know, goes by the name Rosie, but I've not met her.

I've come close, but not close enough. Lol. Oh yeah, and we did see another from a distance once a few weeks ago.

Are you on Facebook? There are a lot of greyhounds in and near boston and many organized greyhound walks.

Guest katie_dog

We used to go to the dog park late at night when there wasn't anyone else there yet. It was great, except a word of warning- he ran into a bench in the dark and broke his leg! Make sure it's well-lit!

I actually just took my dog Katie to the local dog park this morning about 7 AM. It's about 1.5 miles from my house and I took her for a jog on this path along side the river in my neighborhood. When we got to the end of the path instead of turning around and going back the way we came I decided to take a different way because a I saw a cat back the way we came and I wanted to avoid Katie seeing the cat. So we walked back home a different way that took us past the local dog park. There was no one there, so I took her in and let her go off leash for a little while. She didn't run around at all. I think she was already tired from our 1.5 mile jog to get there. She basically walked around, sniffed stuff and ate some grass. Early morning might be a good time to go if you want to avoid other dogs. I'll probably try taking her there again some weekend morning. I really don't want to take her and let her off leash with other dogs. She seems to not like other non-greyhound dogs. If they get right up in her face she would probably bite them. She's great with people. She let's little kids she doesn't know pet her on the mouth, but she's got some personal space issues when it comes to other dogs. I have taken her to petco before. That was hard, but I can manage her on leash. I just keep her close to me and a good distance from other dogs. The rescue where we got her has a dog park for just greyhounds. That's about 20 miles from here. I haven't taken her there yet, but we might try it sometime this summer. I think I need to get her a muzzle for that. I've read greyhounds can nip each other when they are racing around.

Adrien and Katie's behaviors sound fairly typical for greyhounds at a dog park. Many don't like to play with other dogs, and see no need to run around if there's nothing worth chasing. When I lived closer to our adoption kennel, I used to take my hounds there for weekend morning runs. (And yes, muzzles were required.) The scene was usually a bunch of greyhounds lying down or schmoozing with new and exciting people to get petted by, and a few humans dashing around occasionally saying, "Run! Run!". Every once in a while the whole group of hounds would rise up as one and race like the wind for 15 seconds, then settle down again for another 20 minutes. So if your dog isn't that interested, don't sweat it.

Glad the nightstand casualties were fairly minor and hope Adrien's wounds heal quickly. Many people prefer to leave them open to keep dry, rather than wrapping them.

Edited by EllenEveBaz

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

Guest Jordan33

I'm actually not on Facebook. I gave it up a couple of months after joining about fifteen years ago now. Lol. Back then it was boring. Now, I just don't have the time for it.

I'm not a morning person, but maybe we'll find some alone time there and it'll work out.

I'm glad to know there are other greys that's don't like non grey dogs. Makes sense though, if all they've ever seen is greys, that they wouldn't be used to them.

There are tons of people with greys in the Boston area. This weekend one of the shelters (Greyhound Friends) had a reunion which would have been a great place for you to meet up with other grey owners. Greyhound Adventures is one walking group that usually meets on Sundays for walks which are at locations slightly west and north of Boston (sometimes at the arboretum in JP).

Greyhound adventures web is -- http://greyhoundadventures.org/

Edited by MaryJane

Guest Jordan33

The problem is I can't drive and don't have many friends with cars, to get us there. Adrien actually came from GF (had a friend drive me, but she's now pregnant and not going far from home) and I'm on the GA mailing list. I am hoping to get my license back soon, but that's going to take some time. Until then, we're stuck to public transportation, unfortunately.

No, your dog doesn't "need" the dog park. In fact since you don't have a car and thus won't have any way to get her to the emergency vet should the almost inevitable "I took my greyhound to the dog park and she got hurt" incident happen, I would avoid it like the plague. Greyhound skin is just too fragile for normal dog park "scuffles."

I live in Canton (outside of Boston). It's me and my dog. I have never once felt he was somehow deprived because we don't "socialize" with other dogs. He sleeps all day, on my couch (I have cameras I can monitor on my phone, so I know this for a fact), and then when I get home I walk him, play with him, feed him, and then he goes back to sleep on my couch. At night he sleeps on the TempurPedic Cloud Luxe with me. Is he somehow less happy than he would be if I forced him to interact with strange dogs? I don't think so.

I do take him to the Greyhound Pets of America/Mass. playgroups a few times a year. He is mostly happy to see the kennel manager. I don't think he gives a rat's necktie about the other dogs, although he will run for five five minutes. Usually one of the other dogs will start to pick on him (he's a little guy) and then I end up taking him home. He always seems MUCH happier to get in the car and go home than a dog who "needed" socializing.

My first Greyhound, George, hated all other dogs except Greyhounds. We went on some of the Greyhound Adventures walks, and he seemed to enjoy them, but honestly they stop to "rest" way more often then either of us needed to, so it took up too much of my Sunday and I haven't been with Buck. But those are fun events (if you're not walking for exercise).

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest Jordan33

Lol, no worries about that! The dog park is at the animal hospital! But still, good to know there are dogs, most likely including Adrien, who would be fine without it. I've always heard they needed space to run off leash, but I guess that's on a dog by dog basis.

Guest katie_dog

Lol, no worries about that! The dog park is at the animal hospital! But still, good to know there are dogs, most likely including Adrien, who would be fine without it. I've always heard they needed space to run off leash, but I guess that's on a dog by dog basis.

That's interesting. In my city, the dog park is right in between the Humane Society and an emergency animal clinic. I guess the location makes sense. I think they built it in part for a place to exercise the dogs from the Humane Society.

Edited by katie_dog

Guest Jordan33

That's interesting. In my city, the dog park is right in between the Humane Society and an emergency animal clinic. I guess the location makes sense. I think they built it in part for a place to exercise the dogs from the Humane Society.

Our animal hospital and shelter are in the same building. They have a fenced area for shelter dogs only, one for hospital patients only, one that's unused and locked, and one well used fenced area for the public.

I think I need to post somewhere a date and time to meet up with other greys in the area. We saw one the other night on our walk and both dogs kept looking at each other even though the other owner didn't seem to want to stop and chat or anything. But from that experience I gather Adrien would love to hang with greys. We'll need to make that happen.