Zuri's X-Ray Results; New Updates Post #60

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oncology consult scheduled for Thursday morning. They wouldn't really play ball with possibly ordering blood or urine tests beforehand, which sucks because they aren't in on Fridays so it means more waiting over a weekend. Oh well.

No additional response from Dr C yet.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

I'm so sorry, and even more so that you're having to wait for tests, appointments, answers...I know it makes things that much harder. :grouphug I do hope you'll get better news once they know more.

52596614938_aefa4e9757_o.jpg

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly
 Sweep:heart

I'm so sorry, and even more so that you're having to wait for tests, appointments, answers...I know it makes things that much harder. :grouphug I do hope you'll get better news once they know more.

I'm thinking the same things

Thoughts and Prayers for you and Zuri

Amy and Tim in Beverly, MA, with Chase and Always missing Kingsley (Drama King) and Ruby (KB's Bee Bopper).

Can't your local clinic draw the bloods and run general chemistrys? If a test needs to be added they can just call in the request. Serum lasts for 5 days-whole blood (CBC) less.

I don't do waiting.

Another option is to run up to Metzgers-they have a path Dr on staff and work with Dr Couto.

Ask for Dr Mark Koshko.

Pm me for hotel details etc..

Edited by tbhounds

Can't your local clinic draw the bloods and run general chemistrys? If a test needs to be added they can just call in the request. Serum lasts for 5 days-whole blood (CBC) less.

I was going to, but the oncology place has the ability to run basic blood work and urinalyses in house so we won't have to wait for those results, we'll get them while we're there so I don't see the point. It's just the special tests if we decide we need to pursue them to investigate/rule out myeloma that we may have to wait for.

The vets at the Oncology Service at Friendship AH are the best of the best. They are and have been on the cutting edge of cancer research and treatment for at least 6 years because that was the case when I took Neyla to them. They participate in clinical trials through a nationwide organization started by the head of the department and have the most cutting edge radiation treatments available including stereotactic radiation. So I feel we'll be in good hands with them. :) As much as I hate the waiting, I'm grateful they could get me in this week. I was afraid they'd be booked up.

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

More from Dr Couto. My response to his first email:

"If you have a chance to review the x-rays when you are back and notice anything more/different I would love to know, but what you're saying seems consistent as they did mention some issues with the right shoulder. I couldn't see it though - the right shoulder looked pretty healthy to me whereas the left did not. He is not presenting with pain in the right shoulder at the moment, but I know that doesn't mean anything.

Is there any possibility there could be a primary tumor elsewhere that the LS would have been masking, like his spine and it's just metastasizing to his legs? I'm wondering if blood work is normal if we should also consider x-raying his spine or other areas?"

And his most recent response:

"Unfortunately I do see the moth eaten appearance in the right humerus too. I would do a CBC and a chemistry profile, a urinalysis, and radiographs of his lumbosacral spine/pelvis."

:cry1 Could we please just be incredibly lucky and this is myeloma, not osteo? Please. :hope

ETA: Just heard back from the doctor we saw Friday with the radiology report. Pretty much more of the same - left humerous definitely has changes consistent with cancer, but they can't be positive without biopsy. Right is fishy, but less so so they're less confident to say its not arthritic or some other change. Recommends biopsy and/or ultrasound of left shoulder to get dx. He did say he thought it very unlikely there's cancer in his spine based on exam and like Dr C said, that cancer in 2 long bones is very rare. Also said myeloma is incredibly unlikely. And lastly, they did get a decent lateral chest x-ray and didn't see an indication of lung mets so that's good.

So that's where we stand until Thursday.

Edited by NeylasMom

:grouphug :grouphug

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

"Highly unlikely"----except we know our greyhounds never do anything in the norm.

Yep. :( I know we have LS, and the resulting muscle loss and otherwise tight muscles as a complicating factor, but he seems too painful for what according to them is a single lesion that is not far progressed at this point. Nothing to do but wait for Thursday morning, which is killing me. And I added Tramadol in twice daily in the meantime.