What To Do With Newish Dog While On Vacation?

Unfortunately I have to find a 17-day placement for my newish to me 2-year-old greyhound I adopted. I need to visit my daughter overseas and I am unsure which placement decision I should make. The vet I use has boarding available and I can purchase additional play times for him but he will be mostly kenneled. They do have a big play area and things look very clean. I do not think the kenneling itself would be a horrible experience for him. Or, I could use another vet's names of different foster families for greyhounds that will take in a boarder into their home. I would not know personally any of these people. I live in a condo, am retired and don't normally leave my dog alone for long periods of time. I am wondering what would be the best recommendation for him.

Also, has anyone ever taken their grey overseas with them on a plane? That might be a future choice for me but needless to say I am not looking forward to that.

Thank you for any advice you can give.

If he was fostered before he came to you, try his foster home. Maggie's foster mom takes her whenever we need to leave her home. Did he come through an adoption group? If so, I would call them for recommendations. You don't say where you live but maybe another grey talker could have advice.

Good luck.

If you can find another greyhound home to keep him at, that sounds like the best case scenario. You can check with your adoption group, there is also a facebook group called Greyhound Sitters Exchange https://www.facebook.com/groups/362259110628359/

While the vet may be nice and clean, 17 days is a long time to board at a vet.

I would absolutely not take a greyhound overseas with you unless for a move or an emergency. They will be much safer/happier in a greyhound friendly/knowledgeable home.

Forever in my heart: my girl Raspberry & my boys Quiet Man, Murphy, Ducky, Wylie & Theo
www.greyhoundadventures.org & www.greyhoundamberalert.org & www.duckypaws.com

Enjoy your trip!

When I travel, I have one of my greyhound friends watch my dog(s) , and I return the favor (or pay a nominal fee, depending upon which works better for my friends) in return at a different time. The greyhounds generally play well with each other, and greyhound owners already know the details about how to keep your dog safe and secure.

Don't forget to give your dog care provider written permission to address any healthcare needs that may arise.

Boarding at the vet may be pretty stressful. Additionally, most vets who do boarding have no one onsite overnight or when the office is closed, with minimal coverage to feed and walk at other times.

Check with the greyhound group in your new area. Most maintain a list of people who will board other greys. I would rather have my greyhound stay with another grey owner than have him or her sitting in a crate in an empty office building with no interaction. I'm sure there are even some people here on GreyTalk in your area who board greys, it's just a matter of them seeing your post in time.

We have several other greys that stay with us, and our boy stays with them when we are away. When the hounds come into our house, you would think they already lived here when you see them get on the sofa and go to sleep, or we find them in our bed. They are much happier being in a location with other hounds.

As far as flying a greyhound, avoid it unless it's for a permanent move. Your dog will still like you when you return, and they won't go through the stress of flying in a cargo hold and in some cases a quarantine facility.

Good luck and have fun on your trip.

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Having worked at a boarding kennel/day care for a couple of years I can tell you the vast majority of greys do not do well in a boarding situation...and a vet's office would be even more stressful I'd think. We had private rooms with toddler beds and TV and I never saw a GH smile. They would for the most part go to the edge of the large open play area and lie down. As at dog parks they don't generally get caught up in mixed breed group play. Flying a dog for 17 days doesn't make sense, especially overseas.

Start asking around at the nearest GH adoption group. Then start asking around about pet sitters who will either take your dog into their home or come stay at yours. I had a vet tech do it for me a few times.I kept a Bouvier for more than a year in my house when her executive father was away on business. With the $10 each way pick up and drop off fee I made between $300 - $400 a month on that one dog. As far as not knowing these people, as for references and take you dog to their house before you leave to get a feel and then trust your gut. The vet would be my last option.

Edited by Hubcitypam
gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Of those two options, I would go for one of the foster homes. If he can't be with you, he would much prefer to be with other greyhounds! Having been brought up together in kennels they do appreciate the company of their own kind. I board my own chap, but only within the holiday kenneling offered by our greyhound rescue. Not so comfortable as home, but he slots back into the old routines quite happily with his friends around.

Clare with Tiger (Snapper Gar, b. 18/05/2015), and remembering Ken (Boomtown Ken, 01/05/2011-21/02/2020) and Doc (Barefoot Doctor, 20/08/2001-15/04/2015).

"It is also to be noted of every species, that the handsomest of each move best ... and beasts of the most elegant form, always excel in speed; of this, the horse and greyhound are beautiful examples."----Wiliam Hogarth, The Analysis of Beauty, 1753.

PS Another thought - how about a 'trial run' of an overnight or weekend stay, before your longer stay away? That is something I have done with both my dogs, for their first stay away. I feel it helps both by reassuring them that I will come back, and making them familiar with the place before their longer stay.

Clare with Tiger (Snapper Gar, b. 18/05/2015), and remembering Ken (Boomtown Ken, 01/05/2011-21/02/2020) and Doc (Barefoot Doctor, 20/08/2001-15/04/2015).

"It is also to be noted of every species, that the handsomest of each move best ... and beasts of the most elegant form, always excel in speed; of this, the horse and greyhound are beautiful examples."----Wiliam Hogarth, The Analysis of Beauty, 1753.

We like to have someone come and stay at our house to care for our dog (s)

That causes the least disruption to their normal routines, and we feel the least stressed!

One of our dogs went to stay with another greyhound family at their house, which was also successful

But I would not be comfortable with a kennel-- the noisy environment alone would be stressful

Amy and Tim in Beverly, MA, with Chase and Always missing Kingsley (Drama King) and Ruby (KB's Bee Bopper).

We like to have someone come and stay at our house to care for our dog (s)

That causes the least disruption to their normal routines, and we feel the least stressed!

This is what we do. We found a wonderful young lady who just graduated college. She still lives at home so for her it's a chance to be on her own for a little while and she's a dog lover so she likes Jake. He gets to keep his normal routine and we pay her the same or less than a kennel. Win-win-win!

jakesigsmall_zps254e191c.jpg

Photographer in Phoenix, AZ www.northmountainphoto.com

GPA-MN has members that do dog sitting right here in town. You could sign up for their discussion boards at http://forum.gpa-mn.org- there's a link from their regular website but it took me a while to find it. I think requests for sitter services is usually in the "General Topics" forum. We've had Monty watched by one of the members. Just make sure you mention specifics like cat-friendliness, prey instinct, leash walks or fenced yard for pottying, etc. if you do ask for services. Monty stayed with two other hounds and a cat and loved the fenced yard they had!

Have a great trip!