Limping From Arthritis?

Has anyone had a dog who was diagnosed with arthritis, but typically asymptomatic (maybe through use of supplements or meds) suddenly start limping noticeably from the arthritis? Fine if there was a contributing factor like another injury that caused overcompensation, thus making the arthritic limb(s) unusually sore, but has to be that the limping was caused by the arthritis and not something more nefarious that was found later.

Here's why I'm asking:

Came out of nowhere, but I know he has arthritis in that wrist and his LS has been really bothering him lately. I'll be calling the vet to schedule an x-ray first thing tomorrow morning so no need to add to my anxiety by telling me we need them ;), but in the meantime I would LOVE to hear that this could truly just be his arthritis if in fact it could be.

Edited by NeylasMom

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Of course it's hard to really say from here but, the lameness may stem from the shoulder. I say so because watch the placement of the feet when he stops-left foot forward. If his right wrist hurt he would most likely place that foot forward to rock the weight off.

All that said -yes, lameness could be made more evident if the arthritis was aggravated.

Of course it's hard to really say from here but, the lameness may stem from the shoulder. I say so because watch the placement of the feet when he stops-left foot forward. If his right wrist hurt he would most likely place that foot forward to rock the weight off.

All that said -yes, lameness could be made more evident if the arthritis was aggravated.

Rights and lefts may be confusing me. :P It's his left wrist that we've seen the arthritis in and it's the left leg that appears lame to me.

ETA: Of course I'm the one that labeled the video RL - it was supposed to be FL for front left. :P

Edited by NeylasMom

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Ok now I'm dizzy watching the video multiple times. Rule of thumb is down is sound. So, watch his head as he walks--when his head is down that's the weight bearing limb. Here's another tip when folks become confused between left and right. Face your dog and extend your right hand as to shake hands-the leg you would shake would be his right leg ;-)

Please keep us posted after the rads today.

Ok now I'm dizzy watching the video multiple times. Rule of thumb is down is sound. So, watch his head as he walks--when his head is down that's the weight bearing limb. Here's another tip when folks become confused between left and right. Face your dog and extend your right hand as to shake hands-the leg you would shake would be his right leg ;-)

Please keep us posted after the rads today.

So basically you refer to it as right or left based on you looking at the dog face on, not the dog's actual limb?

Either way, the limb where the lameness is is his front, left to him, right to us as we look at it. :P

The down is sound rule is a great one to know, and confirms if I had any doubt which leg.

It looks like it is shoulder-related to me.

But just tell me this... does he walk without so much of a limp on soft ground? If so look carefully for corns, or an abrasion from digging.

That was one of the first things I did. The whole video is on our carpeting so the limp is there regardless of the surface and there are no signs of corns. He's also never had them.

I don't think there's any neck involvement - he drops his head to take treats without issue, no problem shaking. I thought shoulder too when I saw it, but can't get any pain response manipulating his leg anywhere so not sure.

Edited by NeylasMom

So I gave him extra Gabapentin and Deramaxx last night. Limp was better this morning, but not gone. We have an appt at 3 pm tomorrow for x-rays.

Scritches.

Looks like he's pulling up his "lame" leg with his body to get it to move forward, so he's compensating in his shoulder and back for the limb that is hurting - at least that's my take on it.

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015