Corneal Ulcer / Eye Removal

Oh he looks so much better, thank goodness. Post #10 in this thread mentions the Bite-Not collar, you could try making one to dispense with the cone.

Throp :beatheart

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Day 13 post op and wounds looking really good, hibiscrub wash & sudocrem doing a fine job.

27084411694_0bdf780ab0.jpg

Oh he looks so much better, thank goodness. Post #10 in this thread mentions the Bite-Not collar, you could try making one to dispense with the cone.

Throp :beatheart

That sounds like a version of his inflatable comfy collar, i think it must be more to stop chewing the body as he could still scratch head with front leg or rear paw wearing it if he really wanted, however it is doing a great job of keeping the cone on his head and providing a buffer cushion.

That looks SO much better! :yay

Edited by NeylasMom

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

What big difference! I hope he's feeling more comfortable now! (And you too!)

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

He is looking so much better! So happy to see this!

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Been to see vet2 for a check up today, he was very pleased with how its healed up and removed the stitches. It looked infection free but to be on the safe side Throp has another 5 days on AB's.

27123532574_51be849170.jpg

His mobility has changed so much since having the op, something i hadn't really considered :(. His hind legs muscles were changing & getting little less coordinated as expected with tumour but he was still easily doing the 1+ miles walk to the park daily. I get his eyesight/depth perception will be different for him , but its like his balance is off and he veers sideways when walking at times bit like a drunkard and if he shakes he'll nearly falls over. He's still determined to go where he wants and leaps on his sofa mind

Edited by moofie

So glad it is healing well! I imagine it will take some getting used to for him. Your wonderful boy :wub: .

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I don't know if you've been in the recent threads on harnesses, but you might want to have the Help Em Up harness on hand so you can support him if needed. Its been a lifesaver for Z.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

• 2 weeks later...

Although we had Throp euthanised on 23rd i wanted to give the thread a conclusion

Throps trigeminal nerve tumour must've been putting more pressure on the brain stem effecting the left side coordination & balance causing him to fall over and veer off course, we noticed his left ear also fairly set in one position and could see the whiskers twitching on that side as if in spasm in last few days. He'd gone from a little wobbly to struggling to balance & tired in a short period, it was heartbreaking to see so knew it was time .

Anyway i was pleased with how good his eye socket looked, we took some great photo's on his final day which could've easily been that awful mess up thread. With the muscle loss did look funny like you could just pop in an artificial eye ball in and we did have a good giggle thinking of the lady at the crematorium getting a shock as we'd laid him normal side up and had forgotten to mention it.

Vet2 came out to the meadow to do the euthanasia, he couldn't get a vein in front leg after 2 goes (throp also pulled his leg away) and tried again with hind as veins kept collapsing, could tell by vets expression he was worried in case that didn't work too, but we had faith in him so it didn't stress us out. His practice doesn't officially do out of hours work so he was very kind to come out and probably wouldn't have got home till 10pm after being at work all day. Need to get some sort of thank you gift.

27920758475_8c5ea1722a.jpg

27308532854_9b964d8f3d.jpg

27642146370_2567a505e3.jpg

I've regretted the eye op, thinking something altered that day and instead i could've enjoyed Throp being usual self and active in past few weeks instead. Although i know that there was no way of knowing the outcome and at the time we made the decision it was based on how well/active he was, that he could've had months ahead and it wasn't fair to leave him with an ulcer that wouldn't heal or choose to PTS when otherwise he was still happy. DP's mother has continually bleeted on about whether its "fair to put Throp through it" even before he'd had diagnosis of brain tumour so its a shame he couldn't have proved her wrong by going well past his best before date

Edited by moofie

I've regretted the eye op, thinking something altered that day and instead i could've enjoyed Throp being usual self and active in past few weeks instead. Although i know that there was no way of knowing the outcome and at the time we made the decision it was based on how well/active he was, that he could've had months ahead and it wasn't fair to leave him with an ulcer that wouldn't heal or choose to PTS when otherwise he was still happy.

You did what you think was best. Try not to beat yourself up. I regretting treating Kasey with chemo, preferring instead for his last months to be "normal". It's always hindsight isn't it? It's the best decision we try to make at the time. Enjoy your moments that you had with them. They never do stick around long enough do they? :(

Edited by XTRAWLD

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

I've made some decisions that turned out not to be the best for my pets, but I was doing what I thought was for the best at the time. You can't know the future, so don't beat yourself up. I say that, even though I know I will always have some guilt and regrets for my decisions.