Corneal Ulcer / Eye Removal

Throp's sunken eye has a corneal ulcer and it had been healing ok, but after switching eyedrops recently it turned into a crater very quickly, i'd increased drop frequency but they weren't coating the eye very well. Throp saw the vet last Thursday who was concerned by ulcer depth, we've switched back to isathal drops & Ofloxacin. He's had check ups Saturday & today (unfortunately not same vet as she was busy with an emergency c-section) and while its improved, they'd likely consider some surgery, i think they score or graft to help ulcer heal it but this may not be suitable with Throp given his eyelids no longer meet or possibly eye removal, but are going to see how its progressing at his next appointment before discussing options.

At the moment i'm doing his drops at about every 2hrs, but aware that longer term it will be difficult to stick to that kind of frequency especially as it gets warmer i won't be able to take him out with us. I hadn't really planned on any surgery given his terminal brain tumour, but am wondering if just taking the eye out would be better for him with hopefully a shorter period of discomfort, i don't think his vision can be that good out of it now as his 3rd eyelid covers nearly half and now this ulcer. Anyone know what the recovery is like with eye removal?

On the brighter side Throp's found the blow up doughnut collar to avoid him scratching is the take everywhere pillow :D and he's been enjoying the sunshine sat outdoors and having a run round the garden, his back legs get bit more wobbly after but physio tested him out Saturday and his hind paws still right themselves so appears to be temporary.

Edited by moofie

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No experience with the eye issue but wanted to send :bighug to your good boy and you.

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Corneal ulcers are really painful. An eye enucleation is a rather straight forward procedure and would certainly be a permanent cure against the ongoing pain and discomfort he's experiencing. He would have sutures in for about 2 weeks.

The grid keratotomy you mentioned is also a rather simple procedure and can often be performed with just a light sedative but, it may not be curative.

So, I guess my point is both procedures are certainly an option each offering benefits. IMO I think it's going to depend I how much time you can dedicate to treating this eye--if you were to choose the enucleation treatments would be no longer needed-maybe something would both embrace.

As said above, removing the eye is pretty straight forward, and would eliminate the need for further fussing. Dogs adapt very well to having only one eye, too. One of our Danes had the grid keratotomy and was fine after it healed, but he didn't have the other issues Throp is dealing with :( I would discuss with your vet the option that would have the shortest and easiest sedation, and any possible impact on his brain tumor from the surgery.

Not knowing the answers to those questions, my own opinion would be leaning towards removal, but you'll have to do what's best for you and Throp. :grouphug

I am very pleased to hear he's still hanging in there! :kiss2 for him!

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

We had a dog who had an eye removed. He did just fine! Aside from the fact he looked like he was winking all the time...

Ironically, years later my father had an eye removed. He did fine too, but because he had severe Alzheimer's, he was very sad when he woke up eyeless (after agreeing 100 times to the surgery). He was given a very expensive, very real looking fake eye, which he stopped using when his dementia became so bad he was fighting my mother when she tried to clean it. And he refused to wear is cool pirate patch....

Long story short: dogs do better than people with one eye!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest goofydog

As said above, removal of the eye is straight forward and curative of the pain. Get Em had one removed and never looked back (pun intended). I opted not to have a prosthetic eye placed so his eyelid was sunken. He did happen to have some extensive bleeding which warranted a pressure bandage for a few days. Once the bandage was removed it was smooth sailing for both of us. The only thing I changed was while walking. He normally would have been on my left side, however I felt it would be too easy for him to be blindsided so I moved him to the right side so he could see anyone or thing coming toward us from the right.

Funny story: he was camping with GTer kudzu one weekend when her elderly parents were visiting. After being there for a day or so her father asked "does he ever open that eye? " Kudzu responded "good Lord I certainly hope not!"

It is also an excuse to buy pirate collars! PM me for my private email and I might be able to ship a couple to you.

Thanks for the advice & good thoughts, i'm not very patiently waiting for Monday to see what the vet advises but feel better with more knoweldge of the options (especially the more drastic one) & what i may need to ask at the appointment.

We had a dog who had an eye removed. He did just fine! Aside from the fact he looked like he was winking all the time...

Ironically, years later my father had an eye removed. He did fine too, but because he had severe Alzheimer's, he was very sad when he woke up eyeless (after agreeing 100 times to the surgery). He was given a very expensive, very real looking fake eye, which he stopped using when his dementia became so bad he was fighting my mother when she tried to clean it. And he refused to wear is cool pirate patch....

Long story short: dogs do better than people with one eye!

Doesn't surprise me, dogs do seem to just get on with adjusting & not as held up processing their thoughts as people.

Glad your dog & father both eventually did fine one eyed, it must be difficult to manage that kind of change with Alzheimer's too. It did make me smile remembering my Grandma refusing to wear her false teeth or hearing aid in hospital, not great for their carers but there was still enough spark left to be uncooperative.

As said above, removal of the eye is straight forward and curative of the pain. Get Em had one removed and never looked back (pun intended). I opted not to have a prosthetic eye placed so his eyelid was sunken. He did happen to have some extensive bleeding which warranted a pressure bandage for a few days. Once the bandage was removed it was smooth sailing for both of us. The only thing I changed was while walking. He normally would have been on my left side, however I felt it would be too easy for him to be blindsided so I moved him to the right side so he could see anyone or thing coming toward us from the right.

Funny story: he was camping with GTer kudzu one weekend when her elderly parents were visiting. After being there for a day or so her father asked "does he ever open that eye? " Kudzu responded "good Lord I certainly hope not!"

It is also an excuse to buy pirate collars! PM me for my private email and I might be able to ship a couple to you.

:rotfl Oops,i bet he wasn't the only one to ask.

I think Throp could rock the pirate look :pirate not quite a peg leg/hook but has just got a Therapaws carpal wrap for his dodgy front leg. Very kind offer for the collars but would probably cost a fortune to ship to UK

Edited by moofie

Throp's booked in for his pirate transformation on Wednesday, the vet felt they'd been very little change in the ulcer since his last appointment and was doubtful it would heal. We went on a little walk in the meadow after the vets and he was happy sniffing and trotting along which was just what we needed to see.

27204275425_96a0d10567.jpg

hi-viz eye at least it didn't run all down his face today

26599089003_fc737a7ccf_z.jpg

Edited by moofie

Throp :wub: :wub: :wub:

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Best healing thoughts for your good boy. Please let us know how he does ok? Hang in there. :grouphug

Edited by FiveRoooooers

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Throp's platelet count was low (120 ) so the Op's been cancelled and bloods sent to lab for coagulant test. It sounds like there's nothing they can do if bloods not coagulating, i assumed they'd be a clotting drug or maybe do a blood transfusion to boost platelets but no. Its lucky really we opted to have a blood test done as were told it was our choice.

Throp will be please he can have his breakfast now & i saved him some black pudding from the one i had at the woodland cafe this morning

Hope his count perks up so he can have his surgery in a bit.

I'm not sure if its something that will improve. His count was 183 back in January and it seems normal range for greyhound platelets is 80-200, but it wasn't clotting right when vet did the smear so happy that she'd rather play it safe and do further testing.

I don't know what the protocols are in the UK, but we do have Amicar (aminocaproic acid) here for clotting issues. It's been in short supply though due to a change in ownership so Dr Couto has recommended tranexamic acid, also a clotting aid, as a substitute.

:kiss2 for Throp and :grouphug for you!

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

I don't know what the protocols are in the UK, but we do have Amicar (aminocaproic acid) here for clotting issues. It's been in short supply though due to a change in ownership so Dr Couto has recommended tranexamic acid, also a clotting aid, as a substitute.

:kiss2 for Throp and :grouphug for you!

Thanks that's very useful, i'm not sure now if low platelets mean that clotting aid wouldn't work as well or why vet didn't suggest it as a possibility :dunno . I nearly :weep dropping him off at vets this morning thinking he may not come back, so was rather relieved that to have the call to go pick him up, just now there's more time i can spend worrying about what to do

I hope you can get the surgery. Ziggy lost his eye several years ago to glaucoma. He is a very happy, playful boy now even at age 13. He adjusted just fine. My thoughts are with you that he will be able to have the surgery!

We also have a pirate collar! I call him Pirate Pete but my family does not!

Edited by Dawnnziggy

Throp's result's are back, D-dimer/clotting is fine so he's booked in for his op Thursday. I'd already given him some food when i took him along with Pru to the vets this morning (around his ulcer had gone pinky) but i'm not sure my nerves could cope with 2 dogs going under GA's in the same day. Pru had a wound stitched & dental then whined the place down :blush

Edited by moofie