Big D Questions

Sweep had paint-peeling gas and a pudding-like poop early yesterday evening, and overnight and today she's had pure liquid poops. Her appetite's normal, and when she goes out, she's not urgent about it--she takes her time finding the perfect spot as usual--and she doesn't seem to feel nauseated or painful. She actually ran a couple of laps this morning after she pooped. By some miracle, in 3+ years I haven't dealt with Big D with her (the only time she had it was when she was staying with my sister when we were on vacation), so I'm looking for some advice.

She's on Gabapentin 2x a day and Previcox every other day, so I am hesitant to fast her entirely. I do not think this is Previcox related since she's been on and off it for months now with no issues. Just now I gave her oatmeal with a spoonful of manuka honey and plain Greek yogurt (which I know she tolerates well), and a generic Metamucil capsule sprinkled into it. She's due for her Previcox today--should I give it? I always give Pepcid 30-45 min beforehand.

We took her for a walk yesterday morning to a horse farm with a dog park (empty) where she did a fair bit of sniffing around, but neither DH nor I saw her ingest anything. I suppose she could have picked something up and licked it off, though. We also opened a new bag of FreshPet treats yesterday morning--we use them as pill pockets--and though they smell and look normal I wonder if they might be off. Those are really my only two guesses; nothing else diet-wise has changed.

I'm keeping an eye on her water intake, which so far has been pretty good. How long do you give it before calling the vet?

52596614938_aefa4e9757_o.jpg

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly
 Sweep:heart

My first thought was the Previcox, but if she has been on it for awhile with no issues, it's probably not that, so I would go ahead and give it. My best guess is she picked up a bug at the dog park or the horse farm. If things don't resolve in another 24 hrs, take her in and get her tested. The reason I say wait, is it may pass on through her system on its own.

My first thought was the Previcox, but if she has been on it for awhile with no issues, it's probably not that, so I would go ahead and give it. My best guess is she picked up a bug at the dog park or the horse farm. If things don't resolve in another 24 hrs, take her in and get her tested. The reason I say wait, is it may pass on through her system on its own.

Thanks for the reply. Any thoughts on food? Should we stick with kibble or try boiled chicken and rice tonight?

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly

I always go to the bland diet when Rocket has Big D or one of his bouts of Stress Colitis.

Any blood in the stool or any gelatin-looking stools?

I personally think kibble can be hard on the stomach when things are off which is why I go to the bland diet for at least a few meals. We've been down this road many times with Rocket, so at the first sign of it I go into full treatment mode. Since she doesn't routinely have stomach or Big D issues, I'd give it a day or so before calling the vet unless you see some change that makes you think there's a major issue. If it continues the vet may want to give her something to help with the tummy issue.

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

I always go to the bland diet when Rocket has Big D or one of his bouts of Stress Colitis.

Any blood in the stool or any gelatin-looking stools?

I personally think kibble can be hard on the stomach when things are off which is why I go to the bland diet for at least a few meals. We've been down this road many times with Rocket, so at the first sign of it I go into full treatment mode. Since she doesn't routinely have stomach or Big D issues, I'd give it a day or so before calling the vet unless you see some change that makes you think there's a major issue. If it continues the vet may want to give her something to help with the tummy issue.

No blood or mucus, thankfully. The color's normal but it comes out like water and smells extra foul. (Not like the rose garden aroma that usually surrounds my princess. :rolleyes:)

Yes, go with a bland diet, chicken and rice, or more oatmeal (mine like it better than rice) more manuka honey would be good as well.

OK, we will go with a bland diet for a day or two--thanks to you both!

Poor Sweep! I hope she's soon on the mend.

My girls tend to do better on oatmeal than on rice. I overcook it so that it's extra mushy and add boiled chicken or boiled ground chicken/turkey. Do you have any Olewo carrots on hand? If not, and your girl is still having tummy troubles come Wednesday, I'll be in Nashville dropping the girls off at Grassmere for their dentals and could bring some by for you.

Laura, mom to Luna (Boc's Duchess) and Nova (Atascocita Venus).
Forever in my heart, Phantom (Tequila Nights) and Zippy (Iruska Monte).

Poor Sweep! I hope she's soon on the mend.

My girls tend to do better on oatmeal than on rice. I overcook it so that it's extra mushy and add boiled chicken or boiled ground chicken/turkey. Do you have any Olewo carrots on hand? If not, and your girl is still having tummy troubles come Wednesday, I'll be in Nashville dropping the girls off at Grassmere for their dentals and could bring some by for you.

What a kind offer, thank you! We've never tried Olewo carrots. I'll keep you posted but am hopeful we'll be back to 100% Wednesday. Thanks for the oatmeal tip too--she seemed to really like it at lunchtime, so I'll just do that again and add some chicken for dinner.

I'd been wondering about the girls' dentals. They'll be in great hands. :)

Olewo carrots resolve Riley's poisonous, paint-peeling gas & subsequent liquid poop. I'm just figuring out (after 10 years) that Riley gets gurgly after eating beef products -- ahhh, the relief we could have had so much sooner! He's now enjoying chicken-based products with almost no consequences (which doesn't help you one bit, but does make my house much better smelling!)

good luck! As everyone has already said, a bland diet won't hurt your pup even with your other health concerns. If that doesn't rectify issues after 36 hours, I would CALL my vet for advice (and plan on taking him in after 48-96 hours). I pull that schedule up sharply if dehydration is a risk.

Olewo carrots resolve Riley's poisonous, paint-peeling gas & subsequent liquid poop. I'm just figuring out (after 10 years) that Riley gets gurgly after eating beef products -- ahhh, the relief we could have had so much sooner! He's now enjoying chicken-based products with almost no consequences (which doesn't help you one bit, but does make my house much better smelling!)

good luck! As everyone has already said, a bland diet won't hurt your pup even with your other health concerns. If that doesn't rectify issues after 36 hours, I would CALL my vet for advice (and plan on taking him in after 48-96 hours). I pull that schedule up sharply if dehydration is a risk.

Haha, a pleasant-smelling house is important! I am grateful that she has not had any accidents inside and the gas was only last night (knock on wood). We've been lucky in that department--she tolerates most foods well and any gas is quickly remedied with a spoonful of yogurt. Sounds like Olewo carrots might also be a good thing to have on hand though.

PM report: She scarfed up her oatmeal and chicken and her post-dinner walk was poop-free, so fingers crossed....

I often do broth with rice when tummies get upset. I also tend to use Slippery Elm at the first sign of off poop. I also give collodial silver orally when it lasts too long. Also to be truthful in my arsenal is also Benefibre which I keep some on hand when poops are not their best. It sounds like Sweep picked up a bug amd should be back to normal in a few days. Spring time is naturally the grossest time of year where things are decaying and seem extra yummy to try. Its amazing how fast their tongues work when you arent looking. For spring bugs I go the CS route.

Crossing fingers that your house remains stink free!

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

I often do broth with rice when tummies get upset. I also tend to use Slippery Elm at the first sign of off poop. I also give collodial silver orally when it lasts too long. Also to be truthful in my arsenal is also Benefibre which I keep some on hand when poops are not their best. It sounds like Sweep picked up a bug amd should be back to normal in a few days. Spring time is naturally the grossest time of year where things are decaying and seem extra yummy to try. Its amazing how fast their tongues work when you arent looking. For spring bugs I go the CS route.

Crossing fingers that your house remains stink free!

How much Slippery Elm do you give? I actually have some capsules on hand (it's one of the many things DH has tried for acid reflux). But looks like I probably won't need it this round: she slept through the night and had a perfect poop this morning. :yay I'll continue the bland diet through today for safety's sake and start reintroducing kibble tomorrow.

Go figure: I try to give her a little adventure since she's been restricted for so long due to her limp, and this is the result! :riphair

Glad to hear she's much improved this morning!

Thanks again for your offer on the carrots! I think I'll order some on Amazon since I'm a Prime member, just so I'll have them for the future. Sending good thoughts for you and the girls tomorrow!