Rookie Mistake With New Hound And Cat

Guest aceyouknow

Guest Wasserbuffel

You cat sounds pretty confident, I don't think the "safe space" needs to be 100% dog free 100% of the time as long as the dog cannot chase or otherwise harass the cat. And since the dog seems like he is pretty non-reactive to the cat so far. If this were me, I would bring the dog in the bedroom at night with his muzzle on, put his bed next to the head of mine, and sleep with him tethered to my arm.

I have fosters and over-nighters through my house all the time. My cat can go to the basement whenever he wants where the dogs don't follow, but he usually only goes down there for his litter box and to eat. I've spent many nights on the couch with a new hound tethered to my arm with the cat sleeping on one of the couches. Only if the dog seems particularly reactive to the cat I will pull a crate into the living room to stick him/her in. (I don't have room in my bedroom for either crate or bed, so new hounds and I sleep in the living room until they are comfortable enough for me to sleep in the bedroom - which is right off the living room)

Guest aceyouknow

Thanks everyone for all of your suggestions!

Here's a Progress Report:

Cyrus and Mac have been behaving as nicely as I could have asked. I think Mac will forever be an only child and Cyrus seems to be ok with that. We've been allowing daily introductions that involve lots of cheese for all parties involved. If Cyrus comes towards Mac, he hisses and spits and Cyrus respects his space. We're still keeping them separated by the baby gate most of the time for my own sanity. There has been two incidents though:

I was standing on the front porch with Cyrus with the front door open and all of a sudden I hear a thud and a hiss. Kitty (who loves being outdoors and hasn't been since Cyrus came home) has either jumped the baby gate or through the slots in the stairs. Cyrus turns and runs toward Mac. I grab him around the chest before he can get through the door and I'm yelling at my BF to grab Mac as he struggles to figure out his way over the baby gate or through the stairs. This was about a week ago. No harm came to either party other than my having a wicket migraine for the rest of the afternoon. They've had other interactions since, where Cyrus has not made any attempt to go after Mac. But this brings me to the next incident. Cyrus went after a stray cat in our backyard this week. I was letting him out in the morning and the stray was towards the back of the yard. Cyrus saw it and ran after the cat. The stray made it over the fence and Cyrus came back when I called. I know many hounds can be perfectly friendly towards indoor furries but react strongly towards outside ones. But I'm still not completely comfortable with things. I'm giving it time. Cyrus won't be sleeping in our bedroom until I know Mac won't stir anything. Which brings me to Cyrus's SA.

He seems to be quite fine sleeping downstairs. He's not crated, hasn't made any attempts to cross the baby gate, and doesn't get into anything (except for the one sofa I'm trying to keep him off, It's probably my fault for sending mixed signals, but I bought a leather sofa with the express purpose of the dog being able to lay on it and naturally he wants the cloth one... whatever). We don't make a big deal about going up for the night and I usually have to wake him up in the morning. It's only the crate that he has a problem with. I don't feel comfortable about keeping him uncrated while we're going as I do think that's when he would turn destructive. He destroyed his crate bed and some other items left too close. I've been reading up on crate training. Picked up the DAP spray (can't tell if it makes a difference so I ordered a collar), lots of yummy treats. Also trying to decondition him from comings and goings. We're also trying to give Cy as many new experiences as possible and will be seeing a trainer to work on his confidence. All in all, I know things will take time.

Sounds like things are going pretty well! As you have discovered, indoor cat v. outdoor cat are two very different things to most greys, even if it is the same cat.

I've never used a crate, so I can't help much there, but I do know some greys will be very destructive with their crate "furniture" if they don't like the crate, but don't bother anything if they are allowed out.

Guest aceyouknow

As I type this I feel on the verge of a panic attack. It's 4am my time and I unfortunately have to report that Cyrus attacked Mac this afternoon. I've been unable to gauge Mac for injuries since he's been under the bed since it happened, but there aren't any visible signs of trauma other than a few tufts of fur I pulled from him. I feel confused, stupid and betrayed. I've spoken with the adoption group and they sounded sympathetic and advised if we were to keep him to start over from day one with introductions (never mind how day one actually went), otherwise rehoming was an option. I have so many thoughts racing through my head that I can't quite articulate but I don't know. I thought writing this would help but it's only increasing the rate at which the image of my dog trying to kill my cat replays in my head.

I also adopted a greyhound that was supposed to be cat friendly, but ended up trying to kill my cat. I ended up putting her leash on her, and attaching the other end of thr leash to my waist. I did this every day for 1.5 months, so she was always supervised. She was praised when she ignored the cat and corrected when she didn't. We did this whenever I was home. Everything ended up being fine, but it took a lot of work and consistency.

You have to do whatever you think is right.

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

I hope you have had a chance to check over the cat. Injuries from a large dog don't necessarily mean external blood and a complete investigation is in order. :( I hope he is ok!

I'm sorry that you had this happen, and I hope you find a solution that works for everyone. Good luck.

Huge hugs for you. I hope Mac is okay!

IMO, there's always an adjustment curve even with dog-savvy cats and cat-safe dogs; that's why I'm a fan of the safe room and muzzle for weeks to months, even if all seems well.

I'd keep Mac behind a latched door in your bedroom while Cyrus is loose in the house, whether you are home or not, for the time being. Otherwise, Cyrus is tethered to you. Start back at the beginning. Follow the distract-treat game someone outlined above. Dogs can re-learn; all is not lost.

Above all, don't beat yourself up. You seem to have good animal instincts.

Sometimes, things happen that surprise even the animals involved. A roommate once had a sweet Rottie and huge tabby cat. The Rottie had grown up with the cat from 7 weeks old. They snuggled. One day, we came home to a scene best left to imagination. Something in the Rottie snapped, maybe, but we'll never know -- we just know that she slaughtered her BFF kitty, after six years together.

I don't want to scare you with this. Just the opposite: Any dog can have a moment of prey-drive insanity. Sometimes on a greyhound training board it sounds like greyhounds are the only dogs that need to be carefully watched and managed and trained to be cat-safe. I believe that greyhounds are no more or less likely to be cat-safe than any other hunting or herding breed.

I've had two non-cat-safe greyhounds who ended up living with cats just fine after a lot of careful work and some time away from chasing a lure (and yes, they were tested by a skilled trainer and both were insanely focused on getting the kitty, so it wasn't a mis-label on either).

Good luck! Cyrus is gorgeous (and so is Mac!).

gallery_17468_3098_7486.jpg
Dash (Mega Batboy), & forever missing Kipper (RD's Kiper, 2006-2015) & Souldog Dune (Pazzo Otis, 1994-2008)
"..cherish him and give him place with yourself for the rest of his but too short life. It is his one drawback. He should live as long as his owner."
James Matheson, The Greyhound: Breeding, Coursing, Racing, etc., 1929

Guest aceyouknow

Hello Again. I really appreciate all of the kind words. I think most of all I was just disappointed in myself. Cyrus wasn't doing anything other than what he's been conditioned to do. I spoke with a behaviorist for about an hour tonight and she has a lot of positive things to say about the situation. We'll be meeting later this week to work on a couple of things. In the mean time the next week will be zero engagement. Mac seems to have bounced back and had a lot to say when I got home from work :beatheart He'll be going to the vet in the morning to make sure everything is ok. I'm really impressed with the little guy. I'm not prepared to give up yet, but I know I have to remain realistic about the situation.

I really believe that Mac is fine, and will continue to be fine. Because he was an outdoor cat, i know he can defend himself. I have a high prey, non-cat-safe greyhound. My cat had been living with my parents for 6 yrs, when i adopted my high prey, non-cat-safe grey. In the meantime, the living situation with my parents changed and i had to bring the cat to live with me, and my crazy grey. My cat is 15 yrs old, was declawed by his former owners, and has never been an outdoor cat..... but he can hold his own against my crazy hound, any day... and i have found that in every cat & grey household i know, the cats rule the greys. They just do. Even the senior cats, or the declawed cats, will rule the greyhounds. I have seen my crazy, high-prey, cat unsafe grey run away from my hissing, swiping cat, with his tail between his legs.

You just have to have the confidence that your cat knows how to defend himself, if for no other reason, the fact that he made it as an outdoor cat for all those years. He is a smart boy. And greyhounds are curious, but they will not fight a cat if it comes down to it. your boy is young, and he's fresh off the track.... he's going to need work, but he will respect Mac and keep his distance.... i truly believe that... whatever he did that scared you, I'm sure was chase and play.... not hurting or killing intended... he's curious about the cat....

Follow the above mentioned suggestions to keep them separated but be able to smell each other, so he learns that the cat is part of the family, and when he's ready to interact with Mac, he will learn to keep his distance or get swiped with a cat paw... even if he gets caught with a claw, he'll be ok, and he'll learn to keep his distance... I have seen it happen not just in my house, but countless times.... but you have to have the patience and the confidence that it will work out.... do not give up on him at the first chasing incident... let them both work it out in their heads... Mac will learn that the houndie stays, and he just needs to find a hiding spot if he decides to chase... or he will turn around and swipe him... Cyrus will learn to keep his distance, or that he will get hurt by this little kitty... i know it can happen.... i believe in you... just keep up the training.

Image removed, not within Signature Guidelines.

Just to share the flip side of the situation, our first greyhound was a huge 80lb boy that was absolutely crazy over our cats. Nonstop he would hunt for them in the house, and if they were within view he would stand stock still and quiver, and I wouldn't be able to break his gaze unless I forcefully moved him- and even then he would go back to it. One morning much the same that happened to Mac happened to my cat, the dog got his mouth over my cat's back and tore out quite a few chunks of fur. Cat and dog were both fine but after that, I was in contact with my group and we decided to have him rehomed. With a toddler running around, I didn't have the time or energy to focus on constantly training him out of his drive to chase/hunt my cats. He found an awesome home with older kids, and we adopted Brandy, who has ignored/been scared of my cats from day one. Which ever decision you make will work out just fine so don't sweat it too bad. I felt absolutely awful for having to send our first boy back, but it worked out for the best in the long run!

Good luck! :grouphug

1a_opt1_zpsmbvbxj5k.jpg

Guest Wasserbuffel

Cyrus went after a stray cat in our backyard this week. I was letting him out in the morning and the stray was towards the back of the yard. Cyrus saw it and ran after the cat. The stray made it over the fence and Cyrus came back when I called. I know many hounds can be perfectly friendly towards indoor furries but react strongly towards outside ones.

Kitty indoors and kitty outdoors really can be very different reactions, even if it's the same cat. I placed a dog a little over a year ago who was surrendered for killing the family's cat outdoors, and now he uses his new family's cat as a pillow. When I agreed to foster him I didn't know it was an outdoor cat, so was surprised by his complete non-reaction to my two cats when he came to my place. He was snuggling next to one of the cats on the couch within a week.

My Jayne is completely OK with my cat indoors and out, but would truly love to sink her teeth into the feral cat living in a field behind my house. I trained her to leave my chickens alone, and she can be loose in the yard with them without incident; yet today she caught and killed a rabbit.

All that said, if you decide to surrender him don't beat yourself up over it. The health and safety of the resident pets comes first, and there are loads of greyhounds who are just fine with cats.

Guest aceyouknow

Mac got the all clear from the vet. Just slight pain around his scruff. I think we're going to initiate the two part gate system going forward.

I really believe that Mac is fine, and will continue to be fine. Because he was an outdoor cat, i know he can defend himself. I have a high prey, non-cat-safe greyhound. My cat had been living with my parents for 6 yrs, when i adopted my high prey, non-cat-safe grey. In the meantime, the living situation with my parents changed and i had to bring the cat to live with me, and my crazy grey. My cat is 15 yrs old, was declawed by his former owners, and has never been an outdoor cat..... but he can hold his own against my crazy hound, any day... and i have found that in every cat & grey household i know, the cats rule the greys. They just do. Even the senior cats, or the declawed cats, will rule the greyhounds. I have seen my crazy, high-prey, cat unsafe grey run away from my hissing, swiping cat, with his tail between his legs.

You just have to have the confidence that your cat knows how to defend himself, if for no other reason, the fact that he made it as an outdoor cat for all those years. He is a smart boy. And greyhounds are curious, but they will not fight a cat if it comes down to it. your boy is young, and he's fresh off the track.... he's going to need work, but he will respect Mac and keep his distance.... i truly believe that... whatever he did that scared you, I'm sure was chase and play.... not hurting or killing intended... he's curious about the cat....

Follow the above mentioned suggestions to keep them separated but be able to smell each other, so he learns that the cat is part of the family, and when he's ready to interact with Mac, he will learn to keep his distance or get swiped with a cat paw... even if he gets caught with a claw, he'll be ok, and he'll learn to keep his distance... I have seen it happen not just in my house, but countless times.... but you have to have the patience and the confidence that it will work out.... do not give up on him at the first chasing incident... let them both work it out in their heads... Mac will learn that the houndie stays, and he just needs to find a hiding spot if he decides to chase... or he will turn around and swipe him... Cyrus will learn to keep his distance, or that he will get hurt by this little kitty... i know it can happen.... i believe in you... just keep up the training.

I really want to believe this is true and his curiosity got the best of him. But I think the reason Mac survived outside all that time is because he's a big wuss and knew how to run and hide. We're going to see a behaviorist tomorrow and take things from there.