Squirrel Bite/scratch Question

The scourge of skwirls has struck in my backyard. Miss Lily got hold of a not-very-bright squirrel just a little while ago. It was trying to escape by running up a drainpipe between the garage and DH's stock tank that he collects rainwater in. Lily jumped up, bumping the pipe. Squirrel fell into the stock tank, climbed out, and took a leap directly into Miss Lily's jaws. There was some tussling on the ground, during which I was hollering "drop it". Squirrel finally escaped and ran up the nearest tree.

During this, Miss Lily was bitten and/or scratched. She has what look like scratches on her muzzle, and a small open sore that I'm guessing might be a bite just below her right front wrist. I cleaned everything up, and bandaged the open wound with bacitracin, covering it with a gauze square and vetrap. There appears to be no more bleeding from her snout, but she is licking her lips a lot, leading me to believe she may have been scratched on her gums.

She is currently wearing her muzzle with poo guard, giving me lots of stinkeye.

Owner has been notified, and said good for Lily! She is current on shots.

Is there anything else I should do?

You! Out of the gene pool!

Guest Scouts_mom

My Mindy once caught a squirrel--it fought back and she screamed and dropped it. I ended up having to put it out of its misery--not fun. Afterwards, Mindy would watch squirrels and half-heartedly chase them, but she made sure she never got close enough for them to attack again.

She had scratch and bite wounds on her muzzle which I cleaned and they healed with no problems. As long as Lady is up to date on her rabies shots, she will be fine, but maybe a bit more cautious.

I think just watch closely for signs of infection on the bites/scratches. Isn't the prevailing school of thought to leave wounds open if they're not bleeding? I suppose she won't let you look inside her mouth; a scratch or bite there would worry me the most since you probably won't be able to get to it.

Milo the Mighty Hunter sends a suggestion to Miss Lily to be more efficient on the first bite. One good chomp -- problem solved.

<<Squirrel fell into the stock tank, climbed out, and took a leap directly into Miss Lily's jaws. There was some tussling on the ground, during which I was hollering "drop it". Squirrel finally escaped and ran up the nearest tree.>>

Mr Squirrel's No Good, Horrible, Extremely Bad Day

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

Squirrels and possums are not rabies carriers. I could bore you with tons of articles on rarity of rabies in squirrels and possums and the dangers of over vaccination, You can can look them up but here a a couple...and a highlight.
http://www.cdc.gov/rabies/pets/index.html

http://www.cdc.gov/rabies/location/usa/surveillance/human_rabies.html

"Small mammals such as squirrels, rats, mice, hamsters, guinea pigs, gerbils, chipmunks, rabbits, and hares are almost never found to be infected with rabies and have not been known to cause rabies among humans in the United States. Bites by these animals are usually not considered a risk of rabies unless the animal was sick or behaving in any unusual manner and rabies is widespread in your area."

Edited by Hubcitypam
gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

My mixed breed dog, Kramer, was bitten by a squirrel once. In the squirrel's defense, Kramer WAS trying to kill him at the time.

I called the vet, hysterical. The vet said, "You know those rabies shots he gets every year?" and I said, "Uh huh..." the vet said, "Don't worry about it. And squirrels almost NEVER carry rabies."

And that was the end of that!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

I keep a bottle of CS on hand for things like this. Little cuts, scrapes etc. and I just spray some on there. It helps prevent bacteria from setting in that could cause infection. Keep an eye on it :)

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015