Acepromazine Side Effects

Guest lbooras

Guest lbooras

Yesterday I picked up my usual meds for Bella, who has osteosarcoma. I talked to my vet about her consistent getting up in the night and whining sometimes to go out, sometimes not. anyway, he prescribed some acepromazine for nighttime. Gave it to her last night, (I looked up side effects this morning), she experienced the 3rd eyelid & increased respiratory rate. She tried to get up in the night, but couldn't. I tried to help but it was like she was drunk, so I layed her back down. This morning, I discovered that she had wet herself on her pillow...never has happened ever. She was still drunk. I carried her outside to see if she'd go to the bathroom, but she just drank a bit.

Still has the 3rd eyelid showing and is crying a bit. Any idea how long this stuff lasts? Also still has trouble getting up. She's 11 yrs old.

Thanks!

Edited by lbooras

I'm not sure I understand WHY your vet ordered Ace. For its sedation properties? Did she NEED sedation. The drunk part is a frequent side effect for this med. The half life of Ace in canines is about 12 to 16 hours. It would seem a discussion with your vet is in order to clarify the goal here to help you understand his thinking..

Edited by rycezmom

large.rycezmom_Sig.jpg.c7b7915d082b1bb35
The more I see of man, the more I like dogs. ~Mme. de Staël
Missing my Bridge Angels Ryce, Bo, Jim, Miss Millie, Miss Rose, Gustopher P Jones (Pimpmaster G), Miss Isabella and Miss Star

Guest lbooras

She was getting anxious at night, but sleeping in the day. We were hoping to get her back on a schedule. She did just walk around outside a bit and drank a ton. Will be monitoring her throughout the day, but definitely not giving it to her again. I'd rather get up several times in the night than this happen.

How long since her diagnosis of osteo. Could she be in pain at night? How familiar is your vet with Greyhounds and osteo? Consider a consult with Dr Couto (Greyhound Health Initiative.) http://greyhoundhealthinitiative.org/member-benefits/

Send me your e-mail address to rycezmom@bellsouth.net

Missing my Bridge Angels Ryce, Bo, Jim, Miss Millie, Miss Rose, Gustopher P Jones (Pimpmaster G), Miss Isabella and Miss Star

All of those are very common reactions for greyhounds under Ace. I would definitely consult with Dr Couto, as mentioned above. Are you doing palliative care or has your girl undergone an amputation? Controlling pain is *very* important either way, and greyhounds often metabolize meds much faster than other breeds, and need to be dose more frequently. Many people use a combination of tramadol (opiate pain reliever), gabapentin (for nerve pain), and an nsaid (for pain and inflammation) to control pain in osteo dogs.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Agree with greysmom. Her symptoms are more consistent with pain than with anxiety. My Bella did very well on Tramadol and gabapentin when she had osteo.

Guest lbooras

She is on gabapentin and quellin. we just upped the dosage of gabapentin to see how she does. It might be we switch from quellin to tylenol 3. Some of her restlessness, we figured out was due to her being hungry...she can be a finicky eater. If she doesn't eat her regular food, then I supplement with wet food, which she devours and is happier. Sunday she did take a turn when the rest of her affected leg swelled up, so there is definitely more pain, which is why we've doubled the gabapentin dose first to see if that helps her. Some of the ACE seems to have worn off now! She just ate all her regular food and walked around a bit outside and went to the bathroom. I think it's just going to take awhile till it's out of her system. She was only diagnosed about 2 months ago, and it's pretty aggressive. I don't think that it will be another month, to be honest. Just trying to make her comfortable till the time comes. I will ask about tramadol, if this doesn't work. I heard that it was used too.

We just went through our other grey having cancer that affects the organs (during Christmas). We didn't realize that he had cancer at the time, bc he was 10yrs old and slowing down anyway. He was gone in 2 weeks. There wasn't even time to do anything. Fortunately for him, it was just the last 2 days that were the worst before he passed to rainbow bridge. Bit of a stressful time for all of us.

I agree with making sure her pain control is adequate. What dose of gabapentin is she on? If she is truly still anxious at night, something like Xanax or Valium would be much more appropriate than acepromazine.

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

I am so sorry for you, and for her.

Please bear in mind that waiting until the pain is unbearable doesn't benefit either her, or you.

:grouphug

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck