Won't Hold It For 5 Hours....

Guest StanleyCDog

Guest StanleyCDog

My dog Stanley who we have had for almost 10 months won't hold it during the day for longer than a couple of hours. I did the whole increasing time away and he would be good some days and then went through a period of marking and or peeing every time I left. Finally got a belly band and it has been 2-3 months since there has been a problem. Left today for exactly 4 hours 45 minutes and he went downstairs and peed right through his belly band onto the floor. Large amount! He had a half hour walk an hour before I left and I let him out again to pee immediately before I left. My husband said to me before we left "do you really need to put that on"........well yes, he can't be trusted and I clean up the puddles. And then steam the tile and then spray the no marking spray. He goes overnight for 10 hours every night with no problem. I even have to force him outside in the morning half the time. And yes he has had urine analysis, etc...all fine. Any suggestions appreciated! I usually bring him to daycare if I am going to be gone longer than 3 hours but it is not available Sunday's!

I think that in general people and animals can "hold" longer when asleep than when awake so the fact that he's OK for a long stretch at night doesn't necessarily translate to holding for that long in the day when awake and stimulated. I ended up installing a dog door for my first Greyhound. His daytime potty accidents were related to the meds he took for epilepsy but the fact was that he simply couldn't hold for a predictable length of time. If your hound is good about asking to go out when someone is home to take/let him out, it might be worth considering a dog door. I didn't want one but my hound genuinely needed one.

gallery_2398_3082_9958.jpg
Lucy with Greyhound Nate and OSH Tinker. With loving memories of MoMo (FTH Chyna Moon), Spirit, Miles the slinky kitty (OSH), Piper "The Perfect" (Oneco Chaplin), Winston, Yoda, Hector, and Claire.

I had my first greyhound for 7 years. Spent thousands of dollars on vet bills. Never did figure out why he peed during the day. Not every day. Once he went a whole year without doing it. Eventually I put a pee pad in the spot where he would pee and just gave up.

Current dog could probably hold it for 12 hours if he had to!

I share your frustration.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck