Newly Adopted Grey Won't Come When Called. Stairs And Would Healin

Guest Mossy

Guest Mossy

For perspective, it's Tuesday today. I adopted Philly on Saturday from my local greyhound adoption agency. He was in afoster home for a few days before coming to me.

I know greys are usually quiet and scared the first day but I wanted to make sure Philly's behaviour is normal. I was told by the agency that he's a bit skittish. He always has hisb head down when approached and when I'm 'talking' to him. I've had to physically lift his head up to give him praise and affection.

He won't come when calld. I understand he doesn't really know his name yet but yesterday, I left his crate open and called him to go out for his last turn out, he didn't budge. I tried to pull him out (nicely) and he just stiffened up. Plus he doesn't go up the stairs yet so I had to leave him there in the cage all night.

Came home from lunch today again and same thing, he didn't want to go out, just stared me down and of course I had to get back to work so I left.

He only comes to me when he hears his breakfast or dinner being prepped, then he follows me like a magnet.

Is this normal?

Also I need an experienced person to help with the stairs (it's just me, single gal). The first time I tried him on the stairs, he froze (still got up) and on the way down, he skipped 1-2 stairs and got hurt, think one of his nails scratched him and cut him. Those are not healing as I expected - applying neosporin and covering with paper towel (band aids not sticking)

So I guess I have 3 issue up there.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

I don't know exactly where to start, but need to just leave him alone and let him come to you (whenever that is). He is afraid of everything right now. Hopefully some of the much more knowledgeable people in here can explain things to you before something bad happens and you send the dog back to the group.

Contact the adoption group for help with the training on the stairs. Someone in the group has been through this before and can help. If you post your city and state, or add your location to your profile someone here may be able to suggest someone in your area to help you as well. Sometimes all it takes is another hound to go up and down the stairs and your hound may follow.

He will loosen up, but right now is wondering where he is and what is expected of him. Everything is brand new. There are some people on GreyTalk who are certified trainers and people who specialize in dealing with hounds that are considered "spooks." They will be along to offer some help.

Good luck.

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

One - it's all very normal for a new dog in a new home.

Two - I know it's *very* hard right now, but you need to just let him be for a little while. If you need him to do something, use a treat to lure him out of the crate, or snap his leash on. Use a happy voice and tell him "come on" (or whatever you would say). Never grab his collar to move him. Let him settle into your home and routine for a while - he will come to you when he's ready.

Three - stairs - You can try the treats, but most likely he has no clue about how to go up and down stairs, so you'll have to teach him. Using his leash can help too. Mostly you don't want to let him jump over any stairs as that can be dangerous. Going up, you might need to move his feet one at a time - move them in the order he walks - while support his butt with your legs. It can also help to find some stairs outside that are wider and not as steep to get him used to the motion of going up and down them. Search here in the forum for other tips on stair training.

Four - leg injuries can be difficult since their skin is even thinner there. Unless it's gushing blood or gets infected, just keep it clean and dry, and keep him from licking it. Licking will likely make the wound bigger. You can use some vet wrap to keep a non-stick pad in place, or a sock, or part of a sock to cover it, if necessary. Use his muzzle if you need to keep him from licking - duck tape over the front of the nose cone will keep his tongue where it belongs.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

He is too new to expect much of anything from him. Everything he sees or does is brand new and never experienced before. Please don't drag, pull or make him do something he doesn't seem to want to do, unless he is in some danger.

Bandaids don't stick on dogs. Try and buy some vet wrap at the pet store or bandage wrap at Walmart.

He has to learn the stairs. I had one who took a month. When the desire to be with you, is greater than his fear of stairs, he will do it on his own. You can encourage, but don't force. If you want him out of the crate, close the door while he is having dinner, but, please realize that the crate is his safe place. He feels most comfortable in his crate right now.

Have you read Greyhounds for Dummies or Adopting the Racing Greyhound? These both are "required" reading.

I don't think this is all your fault, at all. Your adoption group should have some responsibility on getting you needed information about your newly adopted dog. Good luck and don't stress too much. :>)

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Guest Mossy

Thank you all so much!!

I did read both recommended books, Philly just seemed to be at the end of the spectrum that I guess I wasn't expecting.

I hope I didn't alarm anyone when I said I tried to get him out of the crate. I didn't drag him or anything, I lifted his head and upper body but I guess even that was too much.

My adoption group was actually pretty helpful, I talk to them about the stair issue.

I live in Milford, CT by the way.

Thanks again.

Guest Scouts_mom

First, don't stress--dogs rarely break even with novice owners!

Next, it is not unusual for a grey still to be scared after a day or two in a new home. Quite the opposite in fact. Even though Philly was briefly in a foster home, everything is still very strange and scary. Give him a week or two or even three.

When you need him to do something, like come out of his crate, bribe him with treats. Chopped hotdogs or cheese work well--you don't need anything very big. When you call him, show him and then give him a treat. Try never to force him unless the house is on fire.

And don't force his head up if he wants to hold it down. To praise him, try scratching him behind the ears or in his armpits. Touching the head is often seen as threatening, despite of what people commonly think.

Finally, relax and be patient. With time Philly will become a wonderful friend.

Congrats on your new friend! This from your post: He only comes to me when he hears his breakfast or dinner being prepped, then he follows me like a magnet. Start with that. Keep little treats in your pocket, snacks like tiny kibble, mini-milk bones, mini-marshmallows, goldfish, some little thing that's easy for you to carry that Philly will be interested in. If he is interested in food he's going to be much more motivated to learn, and to bond with you. That's an excellent thing in both your favor. When you are gone are you leaving a soft TV or radio on for him? For years I have left Janet Marlowe's ZenDog CD playing while I'm away, it does seem to have a wonderfully calming effect. Good luck! Give your good boy time to adjust, everything is new and foreign.

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Like all the above, this is all incredibly new for him. Every dog acts differently. Kasey took about a year to fully open up but after that wasn't he the biggest social butterfly! Ryder, he took about 3 months. Your new pup needs some time and he's been through a huge change in his life.

The crate is likely his safety zone right now too. It is familiar to him. Your house is a big scary place to him right now, and he's most safe in his crate. Consider covering it with a blanket to make it more den like and comfortable. If he likes staying in there, let him.

The stairs will come, but you might be expecting too much too soon. When the time does happen, your hound might prefer to either take the stairs one at a time or bound up a whole flight. Both of mine navigated the stairs differently so I know! To help teach him, take him to the bottom of the stairs, turn ALL of your lights on so he can see everything, and carpeted stairs are best. Stand RIGHT behind him so he has no where to go and can't fall, and place a high value treat (like a cut up hot dog) and put it about 3 or 4 steps up. Gently move one front paw up a step and if he does that, praise praise praise! If he stretches for that hot dog you let him and PRAISE. He has to feel comfortable and happy. He already had a bit of a fall, so you need to be slow and make this the best experience EVER right now. I would then stop and try again the next day and maybe encourage that second paw up a step.

There's lots of good threads here about stairs. And about brand new pups. We're all here to help lend a hand. Just be patient with your new friend!

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

Guest Mossy

My goodness!!

You all are so wonderful.

Again, I've read the books and watched lots of YouTube videos before getting my brindle baby and the reality is different but you've calmed my fears and helped me more than you'll know.

This site is a blessing!!

Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I do leave the radio on NPR while I'm gone. The classical music starts at 9am!

You can also sit on the floor with your back to the cage and leave treats next to you. You appear less threatening when you are smaller. Or you just sit there and make those sounds with the treats package, this little rustling noises and when he comes to investigate, you offer him one on your flat hand. When he stays around you can pet him. And always carry those little treats with you. When he approaches you - treats, you walk by his cage and he looks up - treats, when he looks at you - just drop a treat.

Let him watch you doing all those interesting unthreatening things. He will associate you with positive actions.

Sorry for butchering the english language. I try to keep the mistakes to a minimum.

Nadine with Paddy (Zippy Mullane), Saoirse (Lizzie Be Nice), Abu (Cillowen Abu) and bridge angels Colin (Dessies Hero) and Andy (Riot Officer).

Guest k9soul

Well, looks like everything I would have suggested has already been suggested, so I will just say congratulations on your new boy! Next year at this time you will be amazed at how far you have come, and how happy and relaxed he is. With time and gentle patience they learn that their new home is a safe place and that their new people love them, and they blossom into amazing companions. This is a great place for questions and advice. :)

Edited by k9soul

It is scary the first few days. Though I knew Greyhounds were different than say a Golden, I had more or less been assured by my group that Greyhounds didn't break as easily as I thought. Try to relax. It is a Greyhound but he is a dog first.

I've had Annie almost 5 years and can't remember exactly how things went, but I do remember it took her a few weeks before she'd come to me easily and with the expectation of getting lots of petting (we call them kisses, even if there is no kissing involved).

She hated her crate. On the second day, she stopped using it.

About the only time she looks directly into my eyes is when it's time for breakfast, supper, a treat or a walk. Yes, they can tell time.

She wouldn't do stairs until about 6 months after adoption and her desire NOT to be alone downstairs was what gave her the drive to learn -- or more likely, I was more insistent than before because I sleep in my bed, not on a couch. She was not and is not food motivated. She was so scared about the stairs that she wouldn't touch a high-value treat on the first step in front of her! I started off by standing behind her butt and gently pushing on it while lifting front paw/front paw then back paw/back paw allll the way up 14 stairs. She trembled the entire way. Bending her leg in order to put her paw on the next step wasn't easy, but it had to be done. On the way down I was one step below her on her right side and gently pulled on the leash/collar. If she got stuck -- forgetting what to do next -- I would put one paw on the next step down. I did this round trip 4 times, one after the other, with each time being just a little bit better. On the 5th try, she took off by herself and that was that. I assume your stairs are carpeted or have carpet treads on them.

BTW, I am widowed so am also alone, but we still have to do what has to be done, whether it be teaching stairs, treating a wound or giving medicine.

Your boy's personality will bloom and morph over the next few months, if not longer. I bet each of us has a story about their houndie changing after years of being a part of the family.

And try to relax. Pretty much almost everything is 'normal' for a Greyhound new to a house.

We need pictures!

Edited by Feisty49

As everyone has said - you got a shy boy. Don't force him to lift his head or pull him out of his crate. If you need him out just go rustle that cookie box! I agree it's too soon to push stairs. I'm so insane I'd be sleeping downstairs with him for a week or so then start working on stairs. My Buck had to have a crash course one year in Abilene when we stayed at a B&B with very steep stairs. We did the one paw on a riser at a time up and when he came down we'd form a crash line. By Sunday morning all I had to do was go with upstairs with scrambled eggs and he'd be right behind me. This was a dog I'd had for several years though.

IMO dogs are nuts about fish. With every one of my dogs I've had to lock myself in the bedroom to eat a tuna sandwich and down here one of the more popular baits for live traps for lost greyhounds is McDonald's Filet-O' Fish. To get him out of his crate just for grins open his crate door then go fix yourself a tuna sandwich (holding some back unmayo'd) and let me know what happens. If he's in the kitchen in a nano second give him some tuna. You don't have to eat tuna every day, but try it again a couple of days later. After a while make your sandwich, ignore him and go upstairs to eat it. He may well join you faster than you think.

In dealing with super shy dogs in my case I've found sometimes the best thing to do is ignore them. Just go about your business. Finally they'll want to know what you are up to. Turning your back and tossing treats suggested above is good. Caught more than one lost GH doing that.

Others on here know far more than I, Especially about stairs - I come from the land of ranch homes. :blush Go to Petsmart or Petco and get some Vet Wrap and to a drug store for some gauze pads for minor owies. Tractor Supply and the GEM (Greyhounds of Eastern Michigan) also sell EMT gel. It's in the horse supply aisle and fondly called "scab in a tube". If you use it don't cover it. Best of luck to you and Philly. I have total confidence you'll both come out fine. ;)

Back to stairs - every dog has his own way I guess... :)
https://www.youtube.com/embed/gghfoRKVPCo?rel=0

Edited by Hubcitypam
gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Guest KarenD

We've had a foster that acted this way. All ideas posted are good. Patience is the key as said. We just worked a little each day and didn't push, kept a calm house and eventually he came around like gangbusters. We even had a hard time walking him as he didn't know what a car was and froze on walks when a motorized vehicle went by. Was worse at night because he didn't know that they were vehicles.....just heard noise and saw headlights.

When he did come around he progressed leaps and bounds.....literally! He is now with a wonderful gentleman who still sends us pictures from time to time.......Our Iggy.

How is your boy doing????

Guest Mossy

Just an update.

The blinds scared him 2 nights ago. He ran into his cage and has only come out once. Yes, once in 2 days.

I tried most of the tips above.

The morning after the scare, he had peed in his crate. He didnt even eat breakfast. Did not come out for anything. I left the crate door open in the morning before going to work and again when I came home from lunch. Nothing. I fed him his dinner by hand last night with lots of praises but didn't come out.

He came out with cheese last night (took about an hr but I wasso happy) and was able to walk him and he pooped. That was about 10pm.

This morning, left crate open and made breakfast etc for 2 hrs. He stood up to eat hi breakfast when I placed it in front of the crate but did not come out... so he did not poop or pee.

Came home from lunch today and noticed he had peed in his crate again. Understandable since he didn't go this morning.

Tried with cheese, treats, my back to the crate, sitting down with no response.

Can his fear/anxiety be greater than his need to eliminate?

I don't know what to do right now.

Maybe try leaving the crate open while I'm at work?

Guest k9soul

He does sound severely anxious if he is not coming out and is even messing in his crate. I'm wondering if he is one of those dogs that has a hard time being an only dog. Often skittish hounds tend to follow more confident hounds around and it could be that now that he doesn't have that he is really shut down. I don't have much personal experience with dogs this timid, but I think I'd consider a vet check (possible lab work if he hasn't had any) and perhaps consideration of anxiety medication while he is settling in.

Could you contact your group and let them know what is happening? Perhaps maybe someone with another grey could visit or walk with him and see how he responds? I'm sure others here will have more insight. I'm hoping you can find some solutions to help him relax.

Guest Mossy

He does sound severely anxious if he is not coming out and is even messing in his crate. I'm wondering if he is one of those dogs that has a hard time being an only dog. Often skittish hounds tend to follow more confident hounds around and it could be that now that he doesn't have that he is really shut down. I don't have much personal experience with dogs this timid, but I think I'd consider a vet check (possible lab work if he hasn't had any) and perhaps consideration of anxiety medication while he is settling in.

Could you contact your group and let them know what is happening? Perhaps maybe someone with another grey could visit or walk with him and see how he responds? I'm sure others here will have more insight. I'm hoping you can find some solutions to help him relax.

I just contacted the adoption group. Waiting for a reply. His foster (an employee of the agency) did not mention this level of anxiety. She said he was skittish but was doing well. She did have a grey (0r 2) of her own so maybe he is not used to being alone.

I'll send updates.

Thanks for all your help guys!!

Is there anyone with Greyhounds in Conn. that can give this woman a hand? Sounds like it is going to take longer than a few days for him to start coming around. Could someone stay with him in the daytime and maybe by gently (and quietly) talking to him and stroking him maybe get him to trust more? It could be that you got off on the wrong foot with him and it will take him longer than usual to come around.

Order/buy a DAP diffuser and collar - you can get them from Amazon or pet stores. It might help him calm down a bit.

And yes, for some dogs, their fear/anxiety can overwhelm them to the point they simply shut down. If he's not getting better at all - even tiny amounts - it might be time to discuss some pharmaceutical help with your vet. Anti anxiety medication helps to put their minds in a place where they can respond to the world around them and learn it's all OK. Something fast acting like xanax or trazadone just makes their reality slow down enough for them to understand.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

For what it's worth, I had George for 7 years and he came when he felt like it!

It's kind of funny to me, how George made it perfectly clear he had no intention of being trained.

His name was Chile for five years. Never even flickered his ears when I said it, and I hated it, so I changed it to George. He learned it in 3 days. He learned that there was only one acceptable place to walk with me when we were leash walking. I did teach him to sit. But that's really about all he was willing to give me, and trust me, I tried!

He would look at me with this expression that sort of said to me, "Don't you know who I am? I'm a racing dog, not some trick pony!" and just refuse to do what I wanted. We learned to live with each other happily, but it was a huge adjustment for both of us, since I am actually a pretty good dog trainer and my prior dog would do anything I asked of him--usually before I even asked!

It'll all work out. Just give him time.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Noosh

Our girl was very timid and shy for the first couple of weeks. We tried to carry on with the usual routine, but it is very time consuming and taxing on your spirit! I have had success with speaking very quietly in a high voice, and if she looks at me, a goofy smile and a wave. I do this if she is spending time in the yard on her own during the day.

Thankfully though, the penny dropped with her, and to be honest, she became too comfortable, and at the 4 1/2 week mark, she started some Diva behaviour!

Every day, is a learning experience. The best advice is from other Greyhound owners that have been there, done that. I have sought help on many occasions.

We have made it to week 7. Phew. :balloonparty:gh_run

Guest Mossy

Hello all!!

Thanks so much for all your advice and encouragement.

Sorry its taken me long to reply/update but I've been pretty busy and finally havea moment.

With that said, I'd like to give an update, a very thorough one too. It'll be long and detailed so grab a seat and some tea...

General:

Philly is doing so much better. You guys were right (Duh!!). He is opening up more and I'm starting to see a bit of personality.

It seems my boy responds to gentle yet firm direction (you'll see why in 'Stairs' and other places)

Personality:

Still under review so not too sure but I know he possibly like other dogs and humans. His tail wags and he does this whining thing when he sees other dogs or humans when I'm walking him. I hope its not that he's scared or something.

Home life:

Improving in general. He now walks around the housebut not at will. Only when he's out of the crate and after breakfast/dinner. Once he's in his crate, he doesn't come out.

I actually had to reintroduce the crate this week as 2 days in a row, he peed in the house after being out on his dog bed with no accidents in 2 weeks. I was actually planning on returning the crate. I guess that was my warning/answer. He now walks in different parts of the house when he is out... dining room, hallway and a bit on the living room. These are small spaces to begin with so...

Stairs:

*sigh*

We have not done the stairs at all since his first week. A few reasons why

1) My own personal fear and apprehension about it given his first traumatic experience.

2) I don't feel like he's ready because he actually just started getting up the 2 steps into the house by himself 3 days ago. Prior to that, I was walking his paws up those stairs and through the door. What worked actually was that I pulled on his leash instead of waiting and cajoling.

3) He's been fine sleeping downstairs. He sleeps in his crate with the door open, he stays there all night until I come get him to porty in the morning. My bedroom door is cracked open so I can hear (side note: Prior to Philly, I always LOCKED my bedroom door to feel safe but with him, its been an adjustment leaving the door open)

Diet:

Doing good eating. Feeding Purina Pro Plan Focus... doing okay on it. Likes his kong. I put peanut butter and kis kibble and small treats.

Elimination:

Was pooping 3-4 times a day if I stayed out long enough. Getting it down to 2 this week. He was also having pretty loose stools. Even with yogurt added to his kibble, still loose... and deadly farts!!!!! Thought it was the food but have a few theories.

1) Stress

2) Hookworms. He came with it and hopefully he's cured now. Stool testing with the vet in a few weeks.

3) Too many times pooping. Maybe the food didnt have enough time to digest but he thought everytime he goes out, he has to poop.

Stools are much better formed.

He poops twice in the morning - like during the samewalk but different area and those poops are looser than the initial ones. Not sure but its working out so far.

Other:

He does not like to wear the rain coats or fleece. He isso hesitant and freezes but when I pull him along (again, instead of cajoling and waiting) he responds right away but won't poop with it on. The other day, it was raining and once I took off therain coat, he pooped right away.

Playtime:

Not sure if I'm doing something wrong here. He doesn't play with anything I've gotten him. So far, just stuffed toys with squeakies... he just looks at them. The only time the tpys squeak is if he lays down on them. I gett excited for a sec and then I see... lol.

Not sure what kind of toys he needs or if he's just not into toys...

Just bought bulltly sticks from BestBullySticks.com so we'll see if he's a chewer.

Any toy recommendations?

Haven't found a park to run in yet (have looked at lists but need to research more). My sister had a large backyard but unfenced. I run with him leashed, he looks like he's having fun!!

Training:

Fail. Cannot even sit.

Although he does understand "No"... he gives those puppy eyes.

Will try obedience classes...in the near future.

Grooming:

Have the vet groom him once. It seems like he did fine. My bath would probably not work to geoom him myself.

We brush teeth every night before bed (this week anyway). He has okay terth but tartar already. Will need a cleaning/scraping. He bleed the firsy few times I brushed but I feel like the bleeding is less the more consistent I am with daily brushing. He does well with brushing, no fuss.

Looking into flea and tick prevention. I live in CT, the place Lyme disease was discovered!!

I'll look through this site for recommendations.

Phew!!!!

I thinks that's it about my Philly boy so far.

Would love to post a pic but using the mobile version so not sure how to do that.

Take a look at his instagram though... link below...

https://www.instagram.com/p/BF4QluSE8JZ/

https://www.instagram.com/p/BFr7Fj5k8Nv/

Relax. You're doing fine, and it seems like he's doing fine.

I've had to teach two hounds how to walk up the stairs. You'll also find that many greyhounds don't like to sit, so it's not unusual that he's not sitting. I always figured that it went a big deal.

Lots of greyhounds don't know how to play with toys, you might have to teach him and encourage him.

Once again, relax and don't try so hard. It can take months for their personalities to emerge. Love him, change your expectations, and everything will be fine.

Edited by robinw

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.