Best Mobility Harness?

Is ruff wear still the best out there? Going to get a harness for Rainy. Her new meds are working really well, but she's only going to get less steady as time goes on.

I'm worried that the last strap will be too far back and bother her. She hates being touched back there. Palping at the vet is always dramatic.

Is there anything better to use?

Thanks for any suggestions!

------

Jessica

The neurology group I work for uses Help 'Em Up harnesses: http://helpemup.com Not cheap, but I've been impressed with how easy it is for us to move our limited mobility patients using this harness.

Edit: I should also mention that we will leave the harness on our patients while they are hospitalized with us (usually 2-3 days). I haven't seen any comfort issues in my (admittedly limited) experience.

Edited by dmswartzfager

Deanna with galgo Willow, greyhound Finn, and DH Brian
Remembering Marcus (11/16/93 - 11/16/05), Tyler (2/3/01 - 11/6/06), Frazzle (7/2/94 - 7/23/07), Carrie (5/8/96 - 2/24/09), Blitz (3/28/97 - 6/10/11), Symbra (12/30/02 - 7/16/13), Scarlett (10/10/02 - 08/31/13), Wren (5/25/01 - 5/19/14),  Rooster (3/7/07 - 8/28/18), Q (2008 - 8/31/19), and Momma Mia (2002 - 12/9/19).

The neurology group I work for uses Help 'Em Up harnesses: http://helpemup.com Not cheap, but I've been impressed with how easy it is for us to move our limited mobility patients using this harness.

This. It's what was recommended to me by Zuri's ortho, who I trust inherently. I haven't ordered one yet, but we're getting to the point where I need to so I can at least get him acclimated to it. Edited by NeylasMom

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

The Ruffwear harness back strap isn't that far back. It sits more right at the end of the rib cage. I've had two dogs wear one pretty much 24/7 for weeks with no issues.

They are made for hiking and are very sturdy.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Edit: I should also mention that we will leave the harness on our patients while they are hospitalized with us (usually 2-3 days). I haven't seen any comfort issues in my (admittedly limited) experience.

This is the harness our neurologist sent home with Sweet. I too was impressed with how easy it was to move her. The harness is so easy to put on and take off. I would leave the front piece on her 24/7 and add the rear piece when needed. She did really well with it.

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Desi has a very weak rear end......I bought him a help-em-up harness last year. It's got a bit of a learning curve, but once you've got it, it's easy to

put on & so handy with 2 handles. HOWEVER, Desi is really sensitive around his groin, so when trying to "help" him up when he goes down,

he screams like a little girl. He really loves to go walking to visit the neighbors, & I thought this would be perfect, but he's having none of it.

Blessed is the person who has earned the love of an old dog.

Desi has a very weak rear end......I bought him a help-em-up harness last year. It's got a bit of a learning curve, but once you've got it, it's easy to

put on & so handy with 2 handles. HOWEVER, Desi is really sensitive around his groin, so when trying to "help" him up when he goes down,

he screams like a little girl. He really loves to go walking to visit the neighbors, & I thought this would be perfect, but he's having none of it.

That's my fear! I was watching the measuring video for the back part thinking "I can't pull on that sensitive skin like that without muzzling!" LOL

Does the front part work well for him?

------

Jessica

The front part works great, but he doesn't need the handle up there. It's his rear that goes down. The Help-em-up people were great, I ordered

the wrong size & they quickly replaced it. It's very well made, easy to adjust. Overall, it's a good product, except for hounds that are very sensitive

around groin area. Those straps "lift" around the rear legs & put pressure around the groin, which is what he can't take. The only way I can get him

up when his rear goes down is to put both hands under his "buttocks" and lift from there.

Blessed is the person who has earned the love of an old dog.

• 1 month later...

Harness update!

Help Em Up size large was too big. It wouldn't adjust small enough. So they sent us a medium. The medium was too short in length. Fit funny around her shoulders and slid around as we walked. If it irritated me, it must have irritated her!

I'm keeping the medium because I think it will fit Sunshine perfectly in another 5 years. She has a shorter back and is a bit barrel chested for a greyhound.

Ordered the Ruffwear size medium. Fit almost perfect with minimal adjustments. The back abdomen strap fits right along where she, and a stranger who touches her, are going to have words. LOL I keep that strap loose and she surprisingly doesn't seem to mind it! I'm shocked!

Biggest pain point was wrestling her head down with every put on and take off. She's spent 12 years putting her face up through things. Coats, collars, 2hound harnesses, etc. She's a stubborn old gal and is not adjusting! No one puts Rainy's head down!

We spent a couple weeks searching for a matching clip. I just cut the harness and sewed a second clip on the middle strap. Now it clips on like a 2hounds harness. No more picking up a foot or putting her head down.

I also learned first hand that I must drive everyone nuts! My first and second results with the sewing machine were not "safe enough" to pass the BFs inspection. I thought I was the crazy one in this relationship...

Rainy loves her harness! She's now doing stairs with much more confidence along with jumping in and out of the minivan like a pro. Even has more pep in her step when we walk. She's less careful about where she puts her feet. Success! 😀

Thank you everyone again for the help!

------

Jessica

Glad you were able to make it work!

On our Ruffwear, I unthread the 1st belly strap so I can put it on over the head. I put a little piece of Velcro inside the strap loop so it's easier to thread back up again. A clip would be faster, tho.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Glad you were able to make it work!

On our Ruffwear, I unthread the 1st belly strap so I can put it on over the head. I put a little piece of Velcro inside the strap loop so it's easier to thread back up again. A clip would be faster, tho.

Well now I feel like an idiot! LOL That totally would have worked! Ops! She is much happier with it coming off without the head wrestle/foot mess. I pull it off and she gets all happy. If we didn't spend weeks wrestling she wouldn't have that appreciation! That's the story I'm sticking to...

------

Jessica

It doesn't work as well as a clip. For it to work best, at least on my model of harness (older), you'd have to enlarge the loop too. I'm too lazy, even though Coco doesn't like standing still while I get it threaded again.

Maybe we should trade harnesses :lol :lol :lol .

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Glad you found something that works. I will say the Help Em Up harness has been a lifesaver for us recently. I wasn't sure which size would be best since his measurements fell into the ranges for both M & L so on their rec I ordered the M. The strap to connect the front and back is snug, but it makes it. We use the front harness daily and the back harness has been useful for when he is coming out of sedation or on slippery floors. He's a 70 lb slender male, Fwiw. Just in case anyone else looks in this thread.

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

The ruffwear webmaster only having the girth clip one side drives me nuts as its difficult with the greyhounds long legs to take it off.

Glad you found something that works. I will say the Help Em Up harness has been a lifesaver for us recently. I wasn't sure which size would be best since his measurements fell into the ranges for both M & L so on their rec I ordered the M. The strap to connect the front and back is snug, but it makes it. We use the front harness daily and the back harness has been useful for when he is coming out of sedation or on slippery floors. He's a 70 lb slender male, Fwiw. Just in case anyone else looks in this thread.

I was just wondering which size would best fit a greyhound, but he' snoozing so can't measure. Did you order the U or normal band on hip harness for Zuri? It appears to be sold all as one rather than separate front/rear bits in UK

The ruffwear webmaster only having the girth clip one side drives me nuts as its difficult with the greyhounds long legs to take it off.

I was just wondering which size would best fit a greyhound, but he' snoozing so can't measure. Did you order the U or normal band on hip harness for Zuri? It appears to be sold all as one rather than separate front/rear bits in UK

I ordered the regular one, but I did check to make sure that would work for him based on the photos. Basically I think as long as you can see his penis protruding past the front of his back legs the regular one is fine.

Coming late to this discussion, but want to add a reference for the greyhound assistance harness made by Carol Becker-Rizzo of God's Greyts https://www.etsy.com/listing/225448995/greyhound-assistance-harness?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=dog assistance harness&ref=sr_gallery_3 Nutmeg had lumbar stenosis. She wore the harness 24/7 for months and it was a wonderful help. She did not act like she even noticed she had the harness on. Custom made. Easy to get on/off. No hip support, but it felt almost effortless helping her get up without it. The materials held up fine but I have no experience in using it for a longer time.

Even though it was made for one dog's measurements, I hope it will serve in an emergency or urgent situation for any other of my dogs who might need help.

Edited by EllenEveBaz

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter