Ahem...she Eats Cat Poop

Spring has arrived. The flower gardens are freshly turned and composted which is quite a draw for the neighborhood cats. All Piper wants to do is race outside, dig up and devour those delectable droppings.

She now wears her muzzle and poop guard everytime she goes into the fenced backyard. We spend hours in the yard during the warm months. I hate to keep her muzzled for all that time but have no choice since she has developed an insatiable taste for those feline appetizers.

Any advice on how to curb that drive? Thanks!

Is there any way to try making the gardens less attractive, like scenting the area with vinegar or citrus or something else cats dislike? I have strays that like the shade garden, but our yard isn't fenced so no chance for our dogs to partake. I am glad they actually stay our of the food garden, and think they like the other one better because there is catnip in the shade garden. Hmmm, maybe try to entice the cats elsewhere as well as making the 'snack bar' more unpleasant?

I wish you luck!

Guest AtticusMom

My greys have always loved spending time in the yard, and sunbathing too. My current grey also tries to eat anything that isn't nailed down, too (he acts like he never gets fed :D ). If you are hanging out there for a while, can you distract her with a chew treat? Like a bully stick, or something along those lines?

Edited by AtticusMom

Ha ha, what a sweet guilty face!

Hmmm. Maybe vinegar along the edge of the compost to deter the kitties? I'm afraid of putting it too close to the flowers or grass for fear of killing the plants. I actually just planted some catnip near the digging spots thinking the cats won't dig where they like to nibble. I wonder if sharp smells (lavender, rosemary....) would deter the cats?

Hadn't thought of a treat but maybe if I start freezing peanut butter in a kong it will interest and occupy Pipes more than searching out the kitty kibbles. Definitely worth a try.

Thanks for the suggestions!

If you really get desperate too, you could provide a litter pan in an enclosed box of sorts where Piper simply couldn't get to the poo. One of my cats had an issue when she was young where she would go anywhere but the box, I had to make the litter more appealing so that's where she would choose to go. You could buy litter attractant to entice your neighborhood kitties, it might even work if you sprinkled it somewhere in the yard where Piper can't access. They make sprays too to deter scratching, which might possibly work on keeping them away from doing their business in your garden! Not sure if it would kill plants, though.

1a_opt1_zpsmbvbxj5k.jpg

Redbo also developed a nasty taste for cat poop, and it sucks because we have A LOT of neighborhood cats. As soon as we would go outside, he'd dart for the problem areas and start pawing at the ground obsessively. We ended up putting objects (our garbage cans, large rocks, etc.) on those problem areas to keep the cats away, and I would say it fixed about 50% of the problem.

Then one day, Redbo stopped eating cat poop. I think it was because my husband would yank the poop out of his mouth (with bare hands... my hero) while telling him "drop it." Redbo is extremely sensitive to his dad getting angry, so I think he just didn't think eating cat poop was worth it anymore. Now he'll walk by the poop without even looking at it.

We thought about getting one of those motion sensor animal repellent thingies, but we never got around to it. It's like this: http://www.amazon.com/ScareCrow-Motion-Activated-Animal-Repellent/dp/B000071NUS

Edited by TXRedbo

popos_zpsgq0lbak1.png