Work Through The Pain Or Keep Medicating?

Jake broke his leg very badly about a month ago. He was on tramadol and carprofen (same as Rimadyl) until Tuesday and yesterday. The vet wanted us to run out and see how he does. He seems to be a little more reluctant to use that leg as of yesterday, but not terribly in pain or anything. The vet said he will call something in if he needs it, but I'm not sure if I'm worrying about nothing or if he really is in pain. Also, I kind of want him to be in a little bit of pain with movement so he doesn't try anything crazy! Advice?

jakesigsmall_zps254e191c.jpg

Photographer in Phoenix, AZ www.northmountainphoto.com

Well, I hope you aren't COMPLETELY out. I'd give him one if you notice he's in pain and then give him as needed as opposed to regular. Eventually the pain will go away as he heals but he might still need some help now and again.... just my thought.

I have tried to "push it" before, oh just wait a day and I'll give him one tomorrow.....I almost always regret it, and now give at the first sign of discomfort.

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

:dunno One of my previous vets is now a preferred vet for GALT. I still respect him very much but his unbendable huge VCA rates were too much. When were were dealing with Rex's decline he said " Greyhounds are so stoic you really can't tell how much pain they are in" and I think that is true when they are ill and/or hurting.

i'd err on the side of caution and get more pain pills.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

At least have something on-hand if you discover he's in too much discomfort to sleep. Maybe let him tough it out if that seems sensible during the day, but let him (and you) get a good night's sleep every night.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

I'm with you. I would want some measure of discomfort in order to discourage him from doing too much too soon-after all thats why nature sends pain. YOU know what is best-listen to your heart. But I think the vet is right too and I doubt he is in any serious pain.

I'd say if you are used to giving that and Jake responds well to it, to stick with it, although I do understand your desire for something fast working. I am unfamiliar with that med, but IMO stick with what works?

Also I just thought, if he experiences pain, if he might mentally start regressing about trying to walk on it better, etc? With reduced pain he won't have to think twice about using it and just continue to get goofy bringing more strength to that leg unbeknownst to him?

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

I'd at least want the carprofen for him if he were my dog. My Greys have been very stoic so as Pam said, I'd err on the side of caution, especially if he is showing reluctance to use the leg. He had a really nasty break, then surgical correction. While stabilizing the fracture can go a long way to relieve pain, the surgery itself does trauma to tissues. Totally understand not wanting him to feel so great he's tempted to act crazy but you are now encouraging him to be using that leg some & start therapy. Some pain control would go a long way to helping with that. Just my thoughts. Each dog & situation varies.

Okay, thanks to everyone for your responses. They called in carprofen to our Costco. They vet tech said he needs exactly 75mg because of his weight and we can't mess with that dosing. Also, she said it was 2x a day for 2 weeks. She said we can do once a day if needed, but I was still kind of confused at the dosing for this and why I couldn't to a smaller dose if needed. Can anyone enlighten me?

jakesigsmall_zps254e191c.jpg

Photographer in Phoenix, AZ www.northmountainphoto.com

You need a certain level of it to work, and you're really best off keeping him on it consistently until his rehab is further along. Best luck!

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.