Rimadyl Not Working Any Longer. What Next?

Any medication, supplement, kibble, treat, hunk of meat, or chewy bone has risk. Nothing in this world is benign. Everything has the possibility of a negative reaction. It's our jobs to weigh and accept the risk vs reward.

We are keeping her on the Proin for the time being. She's been on it for almost a year now along with all her other meds. Her BP is well within the safe range. I will keep monitoring her BP. Honestly at this stage of the game it's about keeping her comfy, happy and spoiled. I reserve the right to change my decision as other risk factors change. This is my & the vet's decision right now, which may be different in 6 months as we are presented with different risk factors. It's much more important to get her pain levels under control than to mess with the Proin right now.

We have to keep in mind that GT is not a complete sampling of all greyhounds. Usually people seek out GT when there is an issue. A great place for people to sort out solutions to possible problems and an incredible knowledge base. For that I am extremely thankful.

Gaba does do good things. Play with the dosages until she gets comfortable. I will warn you however, that if you see her shaking/tremor like, it's her body coming off the gaba. Happened to Kasey, it's a side effect of coming down off the gaba (and it's a common side effect). It's a good sign that they are ready for their next dose tho!

That would terrify me! Thank you for the heads up! ER vet trip saved!

------

Jessica

Guest rachel2025

Experiencing similar issues with Pike, our 11.5 year old gentlehound. We have been doing rimadyl + gabapentin, and I JUST returned from vet to pick with Tramadol, because he seems to have been in pain the past couple of days. He's sleeping very peacefully right now. Also, he is seeing a doggie chiropractor, which is helping with his mobility! I'd strongly suggest adding that, if the vet agrees!

Edited by rachel2025

Have many suggestions - all natural.

Arthritis Article here. A few summary suggestions here:

- Joint supplements - Glucosamine, MSM, Chondroitin and C. Read labels. Must be 1500 mgs daily of EACH.

- Yucca Intensive - natural anti-inflammatory. Has worked miracles with my hounds. I haven't had to use drugs/NSAIDs for years.

- Acupuncture - fabulous

- Adequan shots - intensive joint help

- Cold Laser

- CMO

- Grizzly Salmon Oil (3000 mgs daily) & Organic Coconut Oil (1 tbsp daily)

To treat incontinence. Works. Inexpensive. Also, change diet from kibble/grains. I rescued a hound on Proin, and within 1 week, she was off it, and doing fine - not one accident - on Kidni Kare.

Azmira Kidni Kare

Claudia & Greyhound Gang
100% Helps Hounds

GIG Bound!

Experiencing similar issues with Pike, our 11.5 year old gentlehound. We have been doing rimadyl + gabapentin, and I JUST returned from vet to pick with Tramadol, because he seems to have been in pain the past couple of days. He's sleeping very peacefully right now. Also, he is seeing a doggie chiropractor, which is helping with his mobility! I'd strongly suggest adding that, if the vet agrees!

Thanks! Our vet doesn't do chiropractic, but I may be able to find a local place.

Have many suggestions - all natural.

Arthritis Article here. A few summary suggestions here:

- Joint supplements - Glucosamine, MSM, Chondroitin and C. Read labels. Must be 1500 mgs daily of EACH.

- Yucca Intensive - natural anti-inflammatory. Has worked miracles with my hounds. I haven't had to use drugs/NSAIDs for years.

- Acupuncture - fabulous

- Adequan shots - intensive joint help

- Cold Laser

- CMO

- Grizzly Salmon Oil (3000 mgs daily) & Organic Coconut Oil (1 tbsp daily)

To treat incontinence. Works. Inexpensive. Also, change diet from kibble/grains. I rescued a hound on Proin, and within 1 week, she was off it, and doing fine - not one accident - on Kidni Kare.

Azmira Kidni Kare

THANK YOU! I forgot about yucca! Well look into the Kindi Kare. And was on another incontinence natural remedy that worked for 6 months! Then it did not and we moved to the Proin. This stuff may work better. ☺️

------

Jessica

Guest AtticusMom

Rainy is a beautiful girl. :) We also had great success with a combo of gabapentin, rimadyl and tramadol for our senior girl. The gabapentin can knock them out a bit at first (not always a bad thing, if you think they are in pain). My girl also had cold laser acupuncture, as an additional therapy. She had issues with her neck, and lower spine over the last couple of years of her life (she was nearly 15 when she went to the Rainbow Bridge).

I am stunned! She hasn't even started the meloxicam yet! First dose of that will be tomorrow morning. Just with the one dose of gabapentin a day, she's a totally different dog. Doesn't seem to have a sedation effect yet. She's ready to party! Hasn't let me have much rest this weekend! ☺️

AtticusMom thank you! Sounds like cold lazer therapy might in our future. I didn't know they could combine with acupuncture.

------

Jessica

Guest AtticusMom

AtticusMom thank you! Sounds like cold lazer therapy might in our future. I didn't know they could combine with acupuncture.

We were very lucky to have our vet come over to our house to do the cold laser, and the regular acupuncture needles too (my grey could not ride in the car, when she was sore). I believe this treatment did help, in conjunction with the medicines she was taking. So glad to hear Rainy is doing well!

I am stunned! She hasn't even started the meloxicam yet! First dose of that will be tomorrow morning. Just with the one dose of gabapentin a day, she's a totally different dog. Doesn't seem to have a sedation effect yet. She's ready to party! Hasn't let me have much rest this weekend! ☺️

Great news! I can't say for sure it was the cold laser therapy that helped Leo because we were also doing massage and physical therapy, but he did get a lot of relief right after starting it.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

The gabapentin is still working amazingly. She was content to sleep in the hotel room during most of GIG with a single ahort adventure each day for some action. She REALLY liked that elevator! Is starting a petition to get one installed at the house. LOL Thanks again for everyone's help.

------

Jessica