Rimadyl Not Working Any Longer. What Next?

We have a vet app tomorrow night, but I like to be prepared and try to educate myself beforehand. This is my first go around with an almost 12 year old pup.

Rainy is walking slower than a old one legged lady in a walker! She's looking very uncomfortable in her shoulders. Still wants to go for walks and is mentally engaged. Hind end is weak and sways if she is bumped. Still passes the neuro hind end test with flying colors. She is not happy about me flipper her hind toes under.

She never had been good about stairs! Fell down the entire flight of stairs in the fall, so she no longer is allowed to decent on her own. Loves sniffing the sniffs outside! She seems to be better in the morning fresh out of bed, and gets progressively more sore throughout the day.

I've caught her displaying little shivers/tremors when her ears are not cold to the touch. Thinking it's pain related and she's just being very stoic. I had to pick up her back leg last Thursday morning and she let out a cry. I didn't crank the leg, just lifted it 4-5 inches of the floor. She also looks uncomfortable during her massages.

She's on 50mg of Prion twice a day & 75 mg of Rimadyl twice a day. Along with green lipped mussel, fish oil, vit e, glucosamine, and 2 pills of Zeel twice a day.

Should I ask about trying Gabapentin? My googling is showing mixed results. What else may help her? I'm of the opinion that I want her comfy & happy even if it shortens her life span. Cost is factor at this point. The Rimadyl & Prion is not cheap.

Any advice?

------

Jessica

Ask about methocarbamol (Robaxin). It's a muscle relaxer, and it should just make her more comfortable in general. It might well make her more wobbly (wobblier?) the first day or so, but she should adjust quickly. Just watch her on stairs and stuff those first couple of days.

It's a people-med, so if your vet will write a prescription, you can shop around for a good price.

(And if you go with gabapentin, that's also a people-med available at local pharmacies.)

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Ask about methocarbamol (Robaxin). It's a muscle relaxer, and it should just make her more comfortable in general. It might well make her more wobbly (wobblier?) the first day or so, but she should adjust quickly. Just watch her on stairs and stuff those first couple of days.

It's a people-med, so if your vet will write a prescription, you can shop around for a good price.

(And if you go with gabapentin, that's also a people-med available at local pharmacies.)

Thank you! Our vet is awesome at writing scripts. Costco is our frequent friend. I don't mind if she's wobbly for a few days. We can easily manage that.

------

Jessica

Desi is taking Rimadyl & Gabapentin, with a couple of Tramadol thrown in on the really bad days. Plus the joint supplement and omegas and we're

even trying the "new" thing......powdered elk antler velvet. He's 13-1/2. You're right......I spend way more on meds for him than I ever did for myself.

Blessed is the person who has earned the love of an old dog.

The gabapentin is less expensive than the rimadyl. She can take at least 3 a day if needed. You can use both together, also. I purchase the rimadyl at Fosters and Smith. They have a generic brand. You can get the gabapentin at Walmart.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Desi is taking Rimadyl & Gabapentin, with a couple of Tramadol thrown in on the really bad days. Plus the joint supplement and omegas and we're

even trying the "new" thing......powdered elk antler velvet. He's 13-1/2. You're right......I spend way more on meds for him than I ever did for myself.

LOL The cost is crazy! Elk antler velvet? I need a farm... I wonder if it really works? Honestly Gabapentin is cheap at Costco, so I don't mind going that route if the vet agrees.

The gabapentin is less expensive than the rimadyl. She can take at least 3 a day if needed. You can use both together, also. I purchase the rimadyl at Fosters and Smith. They have a generic brand. You can get the gabapentin at Walmart.

Thank you! I think the gabapentin works with the rimadyl? At least that is what the internet and case studies are advising. Glad to know she can have it 3 times a day!

------

Jessica

you've already been given the advice I would have, so i'm posting to send gentle hugs. If you'd like to try some essential oils, check out animaleo.info, where Dr Melissa Sheldon, DVM, makes some lovely essential oil blends that can help with mobility and possible neuro issues (I personally use her NEW MOBILITY oil for my arthritis, and her CALM-A-Mile works like a charm for some of my friend's storm-phobic greys).

Since I can't help much, I would also love to see pictures of Rainy ...

good luck tomorrow ...

you've already been given the advice I would have, so i'm posting to send gentle hugs. If you'd like to try some essential oils, check out animaleo.info, where Dr Melissa Sheldon, DVM, makes some lovely essential oil blends that can help with mobility and possible neuro issues (I personally use her NEW MOBILITY oil for my arthritis, and her CALM-A-Mile works like a charm for some of my friend's storm-phobic greys).

Since I can't help much, I would also love to see pictures of Rainy ...

good luck tomorrow ...

Thank you for the hugs! I'm not in total freak out mode. Still hanging onto my logic. This is the first vet trip where I am really nervous though. I'm so scared the vet is going to find something bad that I have missed. Which is most likely illogical, since I'm such a freak about my animals. I generally notice things way before normal folks.

I just reordered EO too! I haven't tried the New Mobility blend yet. I will try ordering it next time. :) I have cats so have to be careful with the EOs. I will try to post some recent pics tonight/tomorrow. Photobucket and I have an iffy relationship.

------

Jessica

First thing I would do is ditch the proin-the shakes could be related to that drug. Do you remember dexatrim? Get her on DES or incurin instead. I would also inquire about starting her on gabapentin. Gabapentin works really well esp when giving it concurrently with an NSAID-in your case rimadyl. You could even ask about trying a different NSAID--sometimes one will work better than another. Metacam or previcox may be a better alternate for your hound. Tramadol may help too but, to be honest I'm not sure how well it really helps--I've been to a few neuro lectures were they claimed it's not all that effective in controling pain--however, if your dog doesn't have any negative side effects while taking it-it's cheap enough-it can't hurt.

I'm hesitant to stop the Proin... It's working! I will ask the vet about the possibility of that causing the tremors. Will research DES and incurin. (haven't heard of this one)

Tramadol definitely works for injury pain! When Sunshine had her shoulder ripped open, she would wake up screaming if I wasn't very diligent about the tramadol dosage. Poor kid! I've never used it for anything else though

Metacam and previous week be researched too. Does gabapentin only work along with a NSAID?

The tremors have only occurred twice. All other times she was legitimately cold and got more clothing put on.

------

Jessica

Gabapentin can be used solely as it's used for many reasons. Derm vets prescribe it to their allergy/itchy patients (in rather high doses I may add) For pain it's commonly given with an NSAID as the two seem to work better as a combo. They have a synergetic effect.

Please research effects from proin. I know it's commonly used-wish it wasn't.

Here's a few--if for no other reason to switch I would be rather apprehensive to continue with both the rimadyl and proin given together. Have you ever had her blood pressure checked?

Quote...

What should I avoid when giving my pet Proin?

Consult your veterinarian before using Proin with any other medications, including vitamins and supplements, ephedrine, epinephrine, or beta-blockers (like propranolol), since interactions may occur.

Do not use with or within 2-5 weeks of using monoamine oxidase inhibitors (MAOIs) such as selegiline (deprenyl, Anipryl), isoniazid, or amitraz (an ingredient in some flea collars and in Mitaban, used to treat mange). Consult your veterinarian before using other medications or tick collars along with Proin.

There is an increased risk of high blood pressure if used with non-steroidal anti-inflammatory (NSAID) drugs (e.g., aspirin, carprofen (Novox or Rimadyl), etodolac (EtoGesic), meloxicam (Metacam), firocoxib (Previcox), deracoxib (Deramaxx), tepoxalin (Zubrin) or tricyclic antidepressants (e.g., amitriptyline or clomipramine). There is also an increased risk of irregular heart rhythms if used with digoxin.

Edited by tbhounds

Ry is on methocarbomol for his limping and it certainly helps and I don't find that it messes up his balance or anything, also doesn't seem more sedate but it works on his sore muscles. He is 75 lbs and is given 625mg every 8 hours when I notice him being very stiff. He's not on it all the time, just when I think he needs it and he's 8 so it might complement your 12 year old if given regularly.

Also, I had Kasey on gabapentin for LS. That worked rather well but found that we had to find the right dosage to make it just right, but he was also on prednisone so that's my experience.

Scritches to Rainy.

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

I actually do check her blood pressure. LOL Vet told us we could use a human wrist cuff at home. ☺️ we obviously cannot test at the vet for an accurate number. Holy poop though! I'm going to have to make a list of those interactions... I didn't realize they were so many possibilities!

Honestly I've heard bad things about Proin, but so many people use it with success. We started at a very small 25 mg dosage due to my worry. The reality is, she's almost 12! Having her get upset about waking up in a flood is not anything I want her to deal with. Everything is a balance of risk vs benefit. Nothing seems to be an easy decision anymore!

Thanks so much for all the info! I really appreciate it!

Ry is on methocarbomol for his limping and it certainly helps and I don't find that it messes up his balance or anything, also doesn't seem more sedate but it works on his sore muscles. He is 75 lbs and is given 625mg every 8 hours when I notice him being very stiff. He's not on it all the time, just when I think he needs it and he's 8 so it might complement your 12 year old if given regularly.

Also, I had Kasey on gabapentin for LS. That worked rather well but found that we had to find the right dosage to make it just right, but he was also on prednisone so that's my experience.

Scritches to Rainy.

Thank you! I never even heard of methocarbomol either! Sounds pretty safe if your 8 year old is using it. Glad it helps!

Edited by JAJ2010

------

Jessica

Thank you! I never even heard of methocarbomol either! Sounds pretty safe if your 8 year old is using it. Glad it helps!

I took Robax this weekend and he took his Robax. Funny both me and him are on the same thing at the same time! I just overdid it as a weekend warrior - not sure what his problem was - he didn't wash the car or spring clean!

Proudly owned by:

My Toni is on gabapentin, meloxicam, and codeine sulfate. She's been on this combo for more than a year and it's been really effective for her. She has nerve pain from a neuroma on her hind leg, and some hind end weakness associated with aging.

The gabapentin has been a miracle for her. And very effective. The biggest advantage is that it has a HUGE dosing range, depending on what works for your individual dog. It's also very safe and has few interactions with other drugs. Dr Couto does recommend dosing every 6-8 hours instead of every 12 hours for greyhounds, as they metabolize it faster than other breeds.

She's on meloxicam pills because she's the perfect weight to take 1/2 a pill once a day. She was on rimadyl for a while with similar pain management.

The codeine sulfate is an opiate pain reliever, like tramadol, but the tram doesn't work for her. She could take it like candy with absolutely no results. But the codeine does work for her at even a half dose per day. My first experience with it was after my boy's amp 5 years ago and the surgeon sent him home with codeine instead of tramadol.

Toni experiences no drugged out wooziness or wobbling, and can run and play like her youngr housemates.

Good luck!

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Her current BP is 114/48. Better than my current blood pressure!

My Toni is on gabapentin, meloxicam, and codeine sulfate. She's been on this combo for more than a year and it's been really effective for her. She has nerve pain from a neuroma on her hind leg, and some hind end weakness associated with aging.

The gabapentin has been a miracle for her. And very effective. The biggest advantage is that it has a HUGE dosing range, depending on what works for your individual dog. It's also very safe and has few interactions with other drugs. Dr Couto does recommend dosing every 6-8 hours instead of every 12 hours for greyhounds, as they metabolize it faster than other breeds.

She's on meloxicam pills because she's the perfect weight to take 1/2 a pill once a day. She was on rimadyl for a while with similar pain management.

The codeine sulfate is an opiate pain reliever, like tramadol, but the tram doesn't work for her. She could take it like candy with absolutely no results. But the codeine does work for her at even a half dose per day. My first experience with it was after my boy's amp 5 years ago and the surgeon sent him home with codeine instead of tramadol.

Toni experiences no drugged out wooziness or wobbling, and can run and play like her youngr housemates.

Good luck!

I'm glad to know that there is another option to the Rimadyl and the tramadol. I have so much price checking to do tomorrow! So many med combinations to write down. I'm a vet's worst nightmare! ☺️ Thank you so much!

------

Jessica

We are back from the vet! Nothing is wrong with her, she's just old!

We are detoxing from the Rimadyl for 3.5 days and are going to switch to Meloxicam. Adding in 300mg of Gabapentin at night. With the option of dosing the gabapentin up to 3 times a day if she gets worse.

We cannot use tramadol because of the trazodone that she's on. The interaction causes serotonin syndrome. Long story short, the direct quote - "Bad *** can happen" That sentence alone made my year! LOL I love this vet!

The 50mg of Proin twice a day is the top range, so if that stops working we will explore other options. I was advised the main risk from Proin is hypertension. Which is rare in greyhounds. But me keeping tabs on the BP at home will help catch anything early.

I can always continue to tweak supplements to try and make her more comfy. The reality, she's going to keep getting worse. It's aging, we can't stop it.

She doesn't want to try the codeine sulfate until it's a last resort since it's a narcotic.

So the next 3 days of Rimadyl detox may be rough! But hopefully the weekend will be better.

Thank you to everyone who helped with info! I was able to be very prepared with prices, places to buy, list of meds, and my usual crazy questions 😊 Hopefully the new meds have her bouncing around at GIG next week!

------

Jessica

You have already gotten great advice & it sounds like you have a good vet's report, so I don't have a lot extra. Tramadol and gabapentin do very well here, with no side effects (obviously that can be an individual reaction)

Twiggy also did well with methocarbamol, I discontinued it after her stroke, but that is definitely worth considering.

You might also want to look into a non-prescription supplement - Duralactin which is a chewable & highly recommended by her vet. as well as the injectable Adequan. (also on advice of her vet, but prescription requited). You can give the injections yourself.

Twiggy's vet also likes a turmeric/bromelian supplement from Source Naturals. I stir the tablet in Twiggy's food & she eats around it, saves it for last & then chews it up, lol. I guess she likes it!

Wendy with Twiggy, fosterless while Twiggy's fighting the good fight, and Donnie & Aiden the kitties

Bella did very well on Proin. I can't remember why the vet chose that for her instead of DES but he had a reason . He told me that a lot of dogs can be weaned off Proin and we did reduce her dose to a very small one.

I still have to laugh at the psychiatrist that asked me if I was taking any meds not prescribed to me and my answer was the dogs gabapentin. They gave me my own script.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Some pictures of Miss Rainy

uyOTbXi.jpg

v4ULadL.jpg

Her sister tried to frame her for trash picking

Iq1GNhh.jpg

You have already gotten great advice & it sounds like you have a good vet's report, so I don't have a lot extra. Tramadol and gabapentin do very well here, with no side effects (obviously that can be an individual reaction)

Twiggy also did well with methocarbamol, I discontinued it after her stroke, but that is definitely worth considering.

You might also want to look into a non-prescription supplement - Duralactin which is a chewable & highly recommended by her vet. as well as the injectable Adequan. (also on advice of her vet, but prescription requited). You can give the injections yourself.

Twiggy's vet also likes a turmeric/bromelian supplement from Source Naturals. I stir the tablet in Twiggy's food & she eats around it, saves it for last & then chews it up, lol. I guess she likes it!

Thanks! We are keeping methocarbamol on the back burner and will look into Duralactin and injections if she gets worse. We are staying far away from anything with turmeric! LOL It made her smell like old cat pee. I got to freak out about kidney failure. :)

------

Jessica

Bella did very well on Proin. I can't remember why the vet chose that for her instead of DES but he had a reason . He told me that a lot of dogs can be weaned off Proin and we did reduce her dose to a very small one.

I still have to laugh at the psychiatrist that asked me if I was taking any meds not prescribed to me and my answer was the dogs gabapentin. They gave me my own script.

LOL Scripts for all! Our vet is pretty hopeful that the Gabapentin will be a miracle for us. My fingers are crossed! Will be going to costco after work today to get the scripts filled. She started on 25 mg of Proin twice a day, bumped up to 37.5 twice a day, and now we are needing 50mg twice a day. Will give it a couple months and then try weaning back down to a lower dose. The weather just tuned warmer, so maybe the increase of drinking is having an impact?

------

Jessica

Gaba does do good things. Play with the dosages until she gets comfortable. I will warn you however, that if you see her shaking/tremor like, it's her body coming off the gaba. Happened to Kasey, it's a side effect of coming down off the gaba (and it's a common side effect). It's a good sign that they are ready for their next dose tho!

Proudly owned by: