Harness?

Guest Jordan33

Guest Jordan33

My new dog, Adrien, startles at sudden loud noises and tries to back out of her collar like crazy. This has happened at least four or five times in less than twenty-four hours. I'm thinking of getting her a harness instead of a martingale collar for added security and piece of mind. Has anyone else had luck with a harness, and if so, what brand would you recommend? Thanks!

Harness lead. They have a video on their website. Soft, round rope, all one piece, can't back out, easy to adjust, don't have to lift the feet, and it comes in lots of colors!

annie who can back out of any harness CAN NOT get out this the harness lead. they wash up beautifully and are most comfortable to the touch. are you sure your martingale is tight enough?? i also find that the thinner lupine martingales, 3/4" are much better than the thick 1.5" martingales.

Edited by cleptogrey

Guest Jordan33

She hasn't gotten out of the martingale yet, but it made me nervous the way she was trying desperately to get out of it. It was tight, but I still thought something with more of a hold on her body, rather than just her neck would be good. Right now she's got the old collar she came with, at probably 1.5 - 2". I've ordered a new 1.5" but it won't arrive until next week. I do have the narrower martingale, but assumed it would be too narrow so I haven't used it on her yet. Do you think I should just use the narrow one?

Thanks for your responses. I will also check out this harness. It looks interesting.

Guest xengab

We use the 2 hounds, no pull freedom harness.. has the martingale tightening on the top so if they do try to wriggle out of it, it doesnt work so well.

I don't think a narrower one would solve the issue of this.

Freedom No Pull Harness http://www.2houndsdesign.com/1-Freedom-No-Pull-Harness-Medium-and-Large-Breeds.html - they are the best. Just make sure it is properly tightened, dogs can still back out a harness. If she is a super spook, Majestic Collars makes a spook harness with an added waist band http://www.majesticcollars.com/harness.htm.

Forever in my heart: my girl Raspberry & my boys Quiet Man, Murphy, Ducky, Wylie & Theo
www.greyhoundadventures.org & www.greyhoundamberalert.org & www.duckypaws.com

Guest AtticusMom

Another vote for Harness Lead. My Atticus, when he sees something he is interested in, will back up and then think he can move forward. :shakefinger The harness lead is kind of like a martingale for the body. I also like that there is very limited hardware on it, so I feel comfortable there are no parts on it that might "fail".

I've the ruffwear webmaster which is similar to the spook harness with extra girth which i feel is very secure & fairly easy to put on (have to lift a leg as clips one side), but in a warmer climate i'd go for majestic collars or One Stop Harness shop on FB as they're just webbing. Much as i like the WWW freedom harness my boy has nearly reversed out of it, thankfully he's not a spook just has low head carriage. You could also use a double ended lead and then its clipped to martingale & harness, i clip a short lead handle onto the mid ring so i don't have to worry about dropping it.

I've never had issue with dogs slipping martingales (they wriggle as high prey) but i do adjust to fit each time i put on and make sure its fitted snuggly.

Guest Jordan33

She's actually doing better in this department. She got a new martingale I'd ordered before I picked her up. its 1.5 inches, where the other collars I have are 1 and 2 inches. Anyway, maybe it's the new collar, maybe it's her settling in, getting comfortable with me, or maybe it's because she's just feeling better, but she startles less now, and when she does, she doesn't try like hell to get away.

So in the end, I may or may not get her a harness, but I am still taking notes just in case things change again.

Thanks for all your input folks!