Train To Get Into Car On His Own?

Guest bubbagumpshrimp

Guest bubbagumpshrimp

How do people go about training their Greys to get into their vehicles on their own? Up until recently...Barnaby wouldn't even get onto the couch. He just didn't like anything elevated.

Fast-forward to about two weeks ago...he just randomly started getting up on the couch. First...it was a "monkey see, monkey do" thing. The cat does it to keep watch for my arrival in the evenings. He started doing the same. Now...he actually makes himself at home on the couch.

He hit his year mark with us today. It occurred to me that now that he's over his whole elevation aversion thing...it might be a good time to work on getting him to get into the car on his own. Any advice on how to get 90lbs of couch potato to step into the car on his own would be appreciated.

B21F8C41-21C7-4181-83B9-3B7985724098_zps

Edited by bubbagumpshrimp

Rocket was the same way about getting into the car and would put his front legs on the seat then wait to be lifted.

We used some stinky liver treats, threw them onto the far side of the seat and said "Kennel Up." It only took about 2 tries because the treat was irresistible. He loves the car, he just didn't know how to go about getting in or was waiting to be told that it was okay. Not sure which.

If he's getting on the sofa, you should have no trouble getting him in the car. Just make sure that you use a command to tell him that it's okay. Otherwise, he may try to jump in ahead of that once he gets used to it and could hit the door or otherwise injure himself if you are not ready for him to jump in. If he is jumping into a hatch area, the command is really important, because some will slam into the hatch before it's opened when excited about going for a ride.

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

When in doubt about how to motivate a greyhound to do anything, use treats! ;)

(Disclaimer: As long as you have a treat motivated dog. You can also use a squeaky toy, chew bone or other favorite item.)

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

also make sure the interior lights are on in the car(dh is always turning our lights off) or possibly put a light sheet, blanket on the seats so it doesn't look like a dark cavern that your pup needs to hop into. that can make a difference. i did the treat and knee up the butt w/ annie for 9 months until she finally figured out she could hop onto the back seat of our 2 door civic. to this day she only enters a car successfully thru the passenger side...it's hysterical watching her try to maneuver the other door.

Guest KarenD

also make sure the interior lights are on in the car(dh is always turning our lights off) or possibly put a light sheet, blanket on the seats so it doesn't look like a dark cavern that your pup needs to hop into. that can make a difference. i did the treat and knee up the butt w/ annie for 9 months until she finally figured out she could hop onto the back seat of our 2 door civic. to this day she only enters a car successfully thru the passenger side...it's hysterical watching her try to maneuver the other door.

Never thought of the "dark area"....good idea. Ours did it twice and once hopped into the drivers side looking at me like I forgot to give her the keys. Never did it again. Might start trying again. Thanks.

• 3 months later...
Guest bubbagumpshrimp

I'm sorry that I spaced out on this. He started getting on the couch in April. I went to get him in the car recently and he just hopped in like he was getting on the couch. Problem solved. Now...we just need to figure out how to get him to hop up in the GF's higher crossover.

Guest katie_dog

Initially, I had some trouble with getting my greyhound to hop into the back of my SUV. Since I couldn't lift her up into it myself, I bought a ramp. They have ramps for dogs just for things like getting into cars. I got it at Walmart in the pet section. When I first got the ramp, she didn't understand what I wanted her to do with it, so I got some chicken pieces and put them at the end of the ramp in the back of the SUV then I guided her with her leash and she was able to figure out how to walk up it with the extra motivation of getting the chicken pieces. Once I knew she was good with the ramp, I just used the ramp without the treats and she was able to get in no problem. After she had a few fun trips in the SUV, in particular after a hiking trip, she seemed to decide that she liked riding in the SUV and then she just started jumping up into the SUV on her own because she was so eager to go for a ride and see new things. I don't take the ramp along anymore because she doesn't need it.

Treats on seat. Let him see and smell them there. Turn your pup around and go away from the car. Turn back around and give him a running start and see if he launches into vehicle. Praise and encourage and high pitched fun voice while you walk/run up to the car and a command "jump" or something to associate the command.

I find that jumping into the car from a standstill doesn't work as well as launching from a walk or trot. Treat him like a horse, guide him around in a circle or give a nice straight line (on leash) and hopefully he'll go for it.

Edited by XTRAWLD

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015