Tick Protection?

Looking for ideas for tick control. We switched from Frontline Plus to Comfortis this fall when we had a flea infestation FP could not control (and Comfortis wiped it out :-)

When I went to the vet yesterday, they were out of Comfortis and so we went to Trifexis, which also is a worm preventative. My understanding is that Trifexis has the same active ingredient as Comfortis. Only one pill per month - yay.

But, Comfortis/Trifexis does not prevent or kill ticks. I have heard of the preventic collars, but don't like the idea of an additional collar. Also have some difficulty seeing how a collar actually works to prevent ticks, but maybe I am being biased here due to the bad reviews for flea collars through the years.

I suppose I could give them Frontline Plus just for ticks, but hate the idea of the excessive medicating. Plus, if it didn't work on the fleas I'm not so confident it will for the ticks.

Another option is to forego tick protection. I have heard that Comfortis actually works on ticks for a couple weeks, and though we do walk in the park a lot it is city parks with wide trails. I don't think northeast Ohio is a hotbed of TBD (?)

Any suggestions/recommendations are welcome. Thanks in advance...

Rob
Logan (April 7, 2010 - July 9, 2023) - LoganMaxicon15K.jpg - Max (August 4, 2004 - January 11, 2018)

We stopped using topicals and pills/chewables. We only use the Serento collar now.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

We don't seem to have ticks all the time here, but seem to have certain periods of time when they are much worse, or times that we want some additional protection if Rocket is up north in the mountains. The Preventic Collars just seem to work. I get them on Amazon.

The Adams sprays also work well, and they have one that is made to spray your yard and shrubs using the garden hose. It works to reduce the ticks overall if you are seeing lots of them.

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

I have heard, from people with multiple dogs & fosters (so lots of opportunity for ticks!) that the Preventic collars are very effective. BUT, they are toxic to cats, so my vet does nor recommend using them on your dogs if you have cats.

also being diligent in check the dogs (and humans) works well. everyone finds that frontline plus doesn't work, but i'm neurotic and will up the dosage to every 3 weeks if need be. i did read that in australia FL+ is administered every 2 weeks(info on a packet purchased in AU). i check the dogs before we enter the car after a walk in the tick infested woods and as soon as we exit. i always find something....grrrr. as to fleas, i pick them off and within 2 or 3 days of application if my dogs are infested(that happened when SIL watched them for 2 weeks), i am crazy about blankets and use the flea comb non-stop. they are evicted w/ success. after 48 hrs. they are really sluggish and easy to kill!

i did call the manufacturers of Soresto, if you dog gets wet then they suggested their alternative advantix2.

I have been using Nexgard (eliminates ticks and fleas) for my girl. It doesn't repel ticks but when they bite they die. I am also vigilant in looking for ticks on her when we hike. Fleas I would never see so I feel covered in that category if she does pick any up. I don't give Nexgard during the winter months, just do a check. Also, I have two little grandchildren so I am not worried when they pet and love the grey, regarding chemicals. I have used Frontline in the past, but didn't like the messy spot on.

Nexgard is through the vet only. I have been pleased with it so far.

Lived here for 20+ years, never saw a tick until last year and it made up for the past 20 years in short order. I've been using Preventic collars and they work like a dream! I also get mine on Amazon, I get a double pack for my two, they last 3+ months, When tick season ended I put them back in the foil pouch, then in a zip lock bag and they still work this year!

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

Another happy Preventic collar user. This will be our 4th summer using them.

I get them (along with their Revolution) from Australia.

http://www.pets-megastore.com.au/

We are very rural and in a high-tick area... I see multiple deer munching in my hay fields almost every single morning and again many evenings, but rarely find ticks on the dogs.

The good thing about our Greys is that ticks are easy to find before they latch on.

And I also use a sticky lint roller on the hounds when we get back from our walks. These are quite effective in picking up any stray crawling ticks.

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

Thanks for the replies. Looks like a big contingent likes the Preventic collar. Do you put that on only for the walk, or does the dog wear it 24/7?

Rob
Logan (April 7, 2010 - July 9, 2023) - LoganMaxicon15K.jpg - Max (August 4, 2004 - January 11, 2018)

24/7

:nod

Both boys are Therapy Dogs, so I do take it off when they go visiting.

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

We don't seem to have ticks all the time here, but seem to have certain periods of time when they are much worse, or times that we want some additional protection if Rocket is up north in the mountains. The Preventic Collars just seem to work. I get them on Amazon.

The Adams sprays also work well, and they have one that is made to spray your yard and shrubs using the garden hose. It works to reduce the ticks overall if you are seeing lots of them.

That is what we use as well-Preventic collar and Adams spray. This combo has worked very well. This year I also added in Springtime's Garlic granules for dogs. In fact I even started taking garlic myself for the same reason. I have to essentially live in heavily infested wooded areas for days at a time because my working K9 and I do Wilderness SAR. You would not believe how many ticks are there! Greyhound Gilly Boy is black-so you can't see them on him even if you'd want to-especially the little ones. I just feel compelled to take every SAFE measure I can as a preventative. I have not had to use the strong chemicals(oral or topical) which I don't believe are safe.

Edited by racindog

Nexguard.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I think I'm sold on trying the Preventic collars. Last question - 18" or 25" neck size? From my measurement looks like 18" would fit, but the package indicates the 18" is for dogs up to 60 pounds, my guys are 75-80 pounds (ok, 81 for Max :-)

Rob

As I have found three ticks on Chancey in the last three weeks I asked my vet about this today and she suggested the Bravecto, mind you I nearly fell through the floor when they gave me the bill - £66.86p for two tablets, one 1000mg tablet for greyhound Chancey @ £34.78p and one 500mg tablet for lurcher Nutmeg @ £32.08p. These are only available in UK on veterinary prescription so I cannot buy them cheaper online, even though they are about half that price, because the vet charges £25 to prescribe drugs if I want to get anything elsewhere!

Miss "England" Carol with whippet lurcher Nutmeg & Zavvi the Chihuahua.

R.I.P. Chancey (Goosetree Chance). 24.1.2009 - 14.4.2022. Bluegrass Banjoman. 25.1.2004 - 25.5.2015 and Ch. Sleepyhollow Aida. 30.9.2000 - 10.1.2014.

I think I'm sold on trying the Preventic collars. Last question - 18" or 25" neck size? From my measurement looks like 18" would fit, but the package indicates the 18" is for dogs up to 60 pounds, my guys are 75-80 pounds (ok, 81 for Max :-)

I get the large 25" size and cut down as necessary but leave as much xtra on as possible. That Suzanne Stack greyhound vet advice page said it needs to really be snug against the skin and it was good to leave a few xtra inches after the buckle. I do have them loose enough to slide over their head though as I remove all collars before I leave.

Edited by racindog

racindog, thanks for the info. I ordered the 25" size on Amazon, but did not notice until the checkout confirmation that they will not be shipped until late May.

tbhounds, thanks for the comment. They are only on Trifexis now and going forward (at least that is the plan), the website lists the active ingredients as spinosad and milbemycin oxime.

Rob

racindog, thanks for the info. I ordered the 25" size on Amazon, but did not notice until the checkout confirmation that they will not be shipped until late May.

tbhounds, thanks for the comment. They are only on Trifexis now and going forward (at least that is the plan), the website lists the active ingredients as spinosad and milbemycin oxime.

Yes, I'm not surprised. You're probably lucky it will be shipped that soon. I always order mine around the Thanksgiving or Christmas sales because they can be difficult if not impossible to get once the tick season starts. In fact I have recently noticed that several of the best preventatives etc., e.g. heartworm meds, allergy stuff like Resicort, fleas sprays like Adams, etc etc is OFTEN sold out now when you need it and so it is getting to where I have to order a lot of things way early. I lost 1 whole years Rx on heartworm meds because when I tried to refill it was out of stock and remained so until the prescription expired. Then I had to pay again (had switched vets) for the vet and test etc to get a new one. So I have learned to immediately completely fill it for the whole year as soon as you get the Rx.