Partial Lower Jaw Amputation

Guest VTGrey

Guest VTGrey

Hi all. One month ago our sweet grey, Murphy, was diagnosed with multi lobular osteosarcoma (MLO). Fortunately the cancer was localized to his mandible. After many consultations with the surgeon we decided to proceed with the partial jaw amputation. Murphy's recovery has been difficult. He has managed to learn how to eat soft foods and is finally gaining some weight. The larger issue is he does not sleep well, especially at night. He is constantly roaming around,shaking and just standing in odd places (ie. Our bathroom). After speaking with his surgeon we have taken him off all medications. We were hoping it was the Trazadone making him anxious but it has been over a week and no change. He does not appear to be in pain but very anxious/unsettled.

Has anyone dealt with similar signs/symptoms post amputation? My husband and I are at a loss. Murphy is 10 and we very much want him to enjoy what's left of his golden years.

I think I would be very anxious and unsettled if half my jaw was gone. It *can* happen, but I would not anticipate the trazadone causing this reaction. He very well may need to have some anti anxiety support of some kind to help him through this transition period. A DAP diffuser is an easy fix to try for him.

Is he on any pain meds currently? Tramadol especially can cause restlessness. You might also discuss with your oncologist adding in a drug called gabapentin, which is used specifically for nerve pain in osteo leg amps. Even if the surgery sites are completely healed and there's no more "physical" pain, he could very well be experiencing phantom pains. Is he having any trouble breathing? How about sores in his mouth?

I know you said the cancer was localized, but given the location, I would also suspect some sort of brain involvement, either from the disease or trauma from the surgery. It's only been a month, after all.

I know there was one other dog on GT several years ago who had this surgery,though I don't remember who it was. You might do a search for key words and see if any threads come up.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

My sister's sheltie has a partial jaw amputation after cancer was discovered as well, and lived a few more years beyond that amputation and lived rather well. From what I recall there were no major issues but certainly he had to learn how to eat all over again. It's very possible that they can live a healthy life after the amputation because from what I recall, there isn't anything major in the lower jaw that would prevent a good quality of life.

I would guess the meds Murphy was on may have messed him up a little, and of course he's wondering what in the world happened to his jaw. I agree with all statements made above by greysmom, phantom pains, gaba might be better than tramadol. Is your vet grey savvy or could get in touch with one that might better benefiit Murphy regarding pain and sleep?

Curious if you could do other things during the day with him that might make him more tired and more likely to sleep at night, perhaps his sleep cycle has been disturbed based on the prev med schedule.

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

Guest VTGrey

Thank you for the information and mostly the support. Murphy had his one month check up today and he is almost fully healed at the amputation site. (Greysmom- no trouble breathing or mouth sores present...thank goodness!) We have discussed putting him back on Tazadone if needed. The gabapentin did not seem to make a difference with his sleeping. We have increased his daily exercise and I have ordered the DAP diffuser.

Our vet seems competent with greys but we were fortunate to have Dr Christine Kellogg for the first few years we had Murphy. She left our vet office to move to OSU to specifically work their greyhound department. I have been trying to locate her professional contact info online but have not been successful. If anyone has information on how to locate her I'd be very grateful. I would very much like get her opinion on my Mr Murphy.

Hmmm.... The OSU Greyhound program was ended a few years ago, and nearly all the staff moved to other clinics and programs. You might contact The Greyhound Health Initiative and see if they know where she went, and if she is in contact with them. She was my osteo dog's consultant at OSU 5 years ago and we just loved her!

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly