Separation Anxiety And Dog Park Injury

Guest Abairdgal

Guest Abairdgal

We adopted our boy, Hank, in January. We started off with a very nervous dog, who had diarrhea for three months and finally has a negative fecal sample as of this past Monday.

When we first got Hank, he whined anytime we left him home alone. We started with interval training and he couldn't even handle thirty seconds. Once we shut our condo door, he started yelling. We tried to let him work through it and recorded him, but it went on for three solid hours. We got home, he went to sleep and napped for 18 straight hours, mainly because he exhausted himself.

He then started being destructive and self-harming (I'm a therapist in real life, so it's kinda funny how similar dogs are to humans). He chewed the crate apart, we would come home to him bleeding, and e urinated every day in the crate from panicking. He would be panting with nose drip puddles everywhere. We sought tons of help from our vet, who suggested medication. We eventually worked on him handling being in the crate with us at home, which was not a problem at all. Then we added PB Kongs, bones, toys, etc. and music, tv and even made a puppy playlist on YouTube for him while we were gone. It just made him yelp louder to be heard over the sound. We tried leaving him out with a muzzle on, and he knocked over a dresser, the night stands, the tv stand, chairs, and scratched up the front door. We tried leaving him out with the muzzle off, he chewed the door frames, any corner of the walls he could get, and scratched the front door more.

For the past four weeks, we have successfully had him in the crate and on Clomicalm and given a Trazodone each day we would be gone for work (I only work three days a week and am home the other days with him). It worked very well, and he lay nicely all day long until we got home and was so happy to see us. It's like he learned we were coming home no matter what. This is good news, so we can slowly come off the trazodone.

Last Thursday, I was out of town and my husband took Hank to the dog park. He loves the dog park and is very social, but a husky nipped his side and he had emergency surgery to put a drain in. He never showed signs of pain or discomfort, though I know he had both. But now, with this injury he can't run or go socialize with other dogs at the park. He's panting constantly, refusing food, vomited twice (vet says most likely from the antibiotic), nose is making so many puddles everywhere, won't lay still, and refuses to come home after walks. And then refuses to get in the crate. Now, even with the trazodone, he is whining and trying to break out of the crate again.

He starting to be self harming again and destructive. He paces, pants, whines, and refuses to eat or come home after walks. When we get in the front door of our unit, he tries to sneak back out around us and runs down the hall. It's so bizarre! He was so comfortable last week until he got bit. I know it's traumatizing, but how do we create the safe space at home again?!

Others will be chiming in with some suggestions for you. I just wanted to say that trazadone only lasts for about 4 hours.

Other things to consider: a dropper or 2 of Richards Organic Pet Calm (like Rescue Remedy but worked better for my girl), Adaptil plug-in, spray and/or collar.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Definitely add the trazadone back in, and ask your vet about dosing. Keep in mind that greyhounds metabolize this drug more quickly than other breeds, and the spacing needs to be closer together - more like every 6 hours than every 8-10, or 12. DAP (Dog Appeasing Pheromones) in the collar and room diffuser can really help too. I would think he is beyond the immediate help of most OTC and homeopathic remedies. They just aren't strong enough and they don't work quickly enough for his level of anxiety.

At this point you need to engage the services of a certified veterinary behaviorist who can come and observe you, your dog, and your situation and give you some concrete stategies to move forward. Make sure this person is familiar with greyhounds and *only* uses positive reinforcement in their training.

You should also look into a way to have someone with him, at least until he heals from his wound. A dog sitter, boarding, day care, another greyhound person from your group, your vet are all good places to try.

Speak to your adoption group, as well. The most common thing to help a dog with severe SA is to adopt a second dog. It's not a guarantee of success, and it's also not a solution for every family. As a last resort, you may have to consider that he is simply not able to be the only dog in your home, and that returning him is the kindest option for him and you. There are lots of homes with dogs already who are looking for a sweet companion, and lots of dogs who are perfectly fine with having all the attention in the family to themselves! It's not a failure on your part if this is your decision.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Guest Abairdgal

Thank you guys for the suggestions. I think we will definitely keep better tabs on the trazodone. I had no idea it's metabolized that quickly, so that helps me understand why it isn't lasting more than 6 hours at a time. He's usually only alone 6-7 hours at a time (our work shifts are staggered so my husband leaves at 7, and I leave at 9, and he's home by 3:30).

I've heard good things about Rescue Remedy, but I'll definitely check out Richards Organic Pet Calm. My vet had suggested that as well, when I called him earlier.

We did behavioral training, but the person we worked with didn't seem comfortable with greyhounds and seemed frustrated that he didn't know how to play with toys. We were irritated with her frustration and have successfully taught him to play on our own. He's just more motivated by affection than toys or treats. We will look for another behavioralist, though!

We've thought about a second dog and have talked it over with our adoption group to "borrow" a greyhound for a week or two to see how they do together. We are moving to a bigger apartment at the end of June and will definitely try it then. I hope we don't have to resort to giving him to another family because we absolutely love him so much. He's so much a part of our family! But we hope we make whatever decision is necessary that it in the best interest for him.

Thank you guys for the suggestions. I think we will definitely keep better tabs on the trazodone. I had no idea it's metabolized that quickly, so that helps me understand why it isn't lasting more than 6 hours at a time. He's usually only alone 6-7 hours at a time (our work shifts are staggered so my husband leaves at 7, and I leave at 9, and he's home by 3:30).

I've heard good things about Rescue Remedy, but I'll definitely check out Richards Organic Pet Calm. My vet had suggested that as well, when I called him earlier.

We did behavioral training, but the person we worked with didn't seem comfortable with greyhounds and seemed frustrated that he didn't know how to play with toys. We were irritated with her frustration and have successfully taught him to play on our own. He's just more motivated by affection than toys or treats. We will look for another behavioralist, though!

We've thought about a second dog and have talked it over with our adoption group to "borrow" a greyhound for a week or two to see how they do together. We are moving to a bigger apartment at the end of June and will definitely try it then. I hope we don't have to resort to giving him to another family because we absolutely love him so much. He's so much a part of our family! But we hope we make whatever decision is necessary that it in the best interest for him.

I am by no means an expert, and I hope that smarter people than me chime in. I think it would be good to try other anti anxiety drugs. Ernie was on xanax which wasn't helpful, and now he's on Prozac which has been helpful. I've had Ernie now for about a year and a half, in the beginning I was able to manage his SA. We moved Oct 2015 and it got WAY out of control (a lot of poop & pee in the house, on two occasions he ate it and smeared it EVERYWHERE.) From my experience, I suspect Hank is going to have a hard time with moving. Since he's clearly having a lot anxiety right now, I'd investigate more/stronger drugs, and I wouldn't bother attempting to decrease his dosage anytime soon because he is so destructive. At this point, like a child, he is reverting to old behaviors and they are potentially really damaging to him. I think his safety should be the priority, and while I typically don't promote drugs, this might be the fastest option.

Seconding what everyone else said, he may just not be the right fit for your household and trust me, I know how hard it is to have that conversation.

7218108076_e406044464_t.jpg 7004700518_27fa752995_t.jpg Walter (Windy Walker) and Ernie (PG Ernest) @WalterWallerson and IG: WalterandErnie 7150803233_d0700ccbdc_t.jpg 7004711314_ceba54665a_t.jpg

I had similar problems with my boy Andy. He started howling lime a wolf anytime I left the apartment. Nothing helped - he wasn't alone, Colin was with him.

When we bought the house we decided to do all necessary renovations ourself and we took the dogs with us whenever we went to the house, put their dog beds in the living-room with their food and water. When we stopped working we took them for short walks to explore the neighbourhood.

And since the day we moved in Andy stopped his behaviour. It is like coming to a new home with all of us gave him the security he needed.

Sorry for butchering the english language. I try to keep the mistakes to a minimum.

Nadine with Paddy (Zippy Mullane), Saoirse (Lizzie Be Nice), Abu (Cillowen Abu) and bridge angels Colin (Dessies Hero) and Andy (Riot Officer).

Welcome to GreyTalk! :) Sorry about your boy's situation.

Quote: "He's panting constantly, refusing food, vomited twice (vet says most likely from the antibiotic), nose is making so many puddles everywhere, won't lay still, and refuses to come home after walks. And then refuses to get in the crate. Now, even with the trazodone, he is whining and trying to break out of the crate again.

He starting to be self harming again and destructive. He paces, pants, whines, and refuses to eat or come home after walks. When we get in the front door of our unit, he tries to sneak back out around us and runs down the hall. It's so bizarre! He was so comfortable last week until he got bit. I know it's traumatizing, but how do we create the safe space at home again?!"

End quote.

Actually, this is not too surprising. Hank is likely frightened of being left alone for extended periods again. Any movement against the crate may hurt his surged area. His feelings of abandonment are greatly intensified after his recent traumatic experiences: all-breed dog park bite, emergency hospital and surgery stresses (more new people), ongoing injury pain stresses, possibly not having access to eliminate appropriately often enough during work days, feeling strange on medications, upset tummy from medication/s and/or from not eating meals -- all while still trying to adjust to a completely new world. Stresses can compound and last for extended periods.

IMO, Hank needs enough stability to be able to relax, eat meals, and recover from his injury. A dog sitter in your own home could help for the time being. If your vet isn't Greyhound savvy, perhaps consider one who treats more Greyhounds. If combined medications aren't working effectively (without vomiting, to curb his pain, reduce current anxiety, and have an appetite) seems time to reevaluate medications. Also very important to have a back-up food source to ensure he's not being administered pills on an empty stomach. Canned meat dog food is great to give as a separate "meat only" special meal (when recovering dogs refuse kibble). Also, offer him a potty break immediately before (and after) meal times since many dogs refuse to eat if they need to eliminate.

Please be careful to ensure his martingale collar is properly fitted (so he can't back out of it with his narrow head),and keep his leash attached and hold him until he's safely inside your own condo with the door closed. Otherwise, he's at risk of flight/escape if anyone unexpectedly opens a hallway exit door.

Dogs feeling anxious can benefit from an extra potty break or two shortly before human departures. (BTW, please do not encourage any fanfare during your departures or returns. Your presence should be considered ho-hum/boring during his alone training.) Dogs who are feeling separation anxiety often can't physically hold urine/bowel for lengthy periods of time. (Ignore potty accidents caused by anxiety/fear; praise highly for their eliminations outside.) Some groups require all adopters provide potty outings a minimum of every 4 hours during day/evening for the dogs' health and well-being. Some people who don't work close to home arrange for someone stop in mid-day to provide a dog potty outing.

Greysmom's suggestion of finding a certified veterinary behaviorist is excellent. (A licensed veterinarian who specializes in animal behavior.)

Good luck, and positive healing thoughts for Hank.

Instead of trazodone, you might try alprazolam (Xanax) in the morning. We've had better luck with alprazolam than trazodone. (Our anxious girl freaks out on trazodone.)

Also, after switching to alprazolam, you might try replacing the Clomicalm with amitriptyline or fluoxetine (Prozac).

See http://www.cpt-training.com/psychopharmaceutical-options-for-canine-thunderstorm-phobia-and-general-anxiety for more options.

Edited by Victor

Is there any possibility you can get another dog? It sounds like he loves to interact with other dogs at the park. If you're unsure if it'll work or not, foster.

I agree. I know you said you are moving to a bigger place in June, but I would think that 2 well-adjusted greyhounds in a small space would be less work/ stress than one hound with severe SA.

jakesigsmall_zps254e191c.jpg

Photographer in Phoenix, AZ www.northmountainphoto.com

I second the recommendation to see a veterinary behaviorist specifically.

http://www.dacvb.org/resources/for-the-public/

Edited by NeylasMom

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

• 1 month later...
Guest Abairdgal

Just an update for everyone:

Thank you all for your suggestions and insight. I'm learning greyhounds are different than most dogs, and we have thankfully switched to a vet with lots of greyhound experience!

We are currently in the middle of our move, and Hank is a completely new dog at our new place. I think the balcony and constant sunlight has really helped him feel more comfortable. Our old apartment was so dungeon-like and the floor plan kept him from being able to see what we were doing. The new floor plan is so open, he can see us from his dog bed in the living room, even when we are in other rooms. Hah, he's like my grandfather--always wants to know what's going on. ;)

He has healed completely physically, from the wound. His is now more anxious than he was before, but I think the trauma of the entire situation is still having an impact. He pants more at home, but we notice his panting stops as long as we don't wear our shoes in the house. Somehow, he has put our shoes together with us leaving, which is bizarre and quite smart (hah!). So we are working on eliminating that connection, slowly. He's doing better with shoe-clad people in our home. I work as a therapist in mental health, and I sometimes have to remind myself to work slowly through these transitions for Hank. He's come a long way already, and we've only had him 6 months!

We have swapped him to an airline crate, of which he hasn't really had an urge to attempt to break out. And we are working on leaving him out while on the trazadone, and he's been good so far! We are up to a two hour time period of being out alone.

We are also looking into fostering in our new home. Hank loves other pets, although we do know that when he was a foster, his anxiety was still extreme even when another greyhound was in that house with him. It's definitely people he wants around. But we hope maybe fostering at this point in his anxiety recovery will be a positive thing.

Thanks again for all of your help and input! If you have more suggestions, please keep them coming!

This is a super update, and I don't mean to sound rude, but I just think it's really important that you not try and figure out his issues based on what might bother a person. You mentioned twice that you're a mental health professional and are applying what you know to your dog--and, well, he's not a hairy person.

Have you read "The Other End of the Leash" by Patricia McConnell? If not, I'd encourage you to do so.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

No advice...

I just want to thank you for your patience and not giving up on Hank

:thumbs-up

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

• 1 month later...

So happy to hear you didn't give up! Patience it the key with greys. Our boy had a very hard time being alone when we first got him. I started leaving him alone for 15 minutes and then 30 and then an hour. I always left the blinds open so he could see what was going on, then one day my boyfriend left him out and closed the blinds and he went CRAZY. He ripped off and chewed the slats that were blocking his view. At the time I was working from home so he wasn't home alone for too long, but then I started working full time, and we got him a crate. He LOVED the crate but after a few weeks we started testing him out alone and he was perfection (as long as he can see outside haha)

• 5 months later...
Guest nnamdismom

If he is well behaved when you are home, why does he need to be crated? Maybe he is telling you that he hates being locked in the crate and just wants the freedom and the trust to sprawl out on his own bed. Some dogs by acting this way are asking us to trust them. Nnamdi would SCREAM in the crate but was perfectly well behaved outside of it. He just got a taste of freedom and never wanted to go back in. Maybe your's is the same. Some greys find great comfort in their crate, or need it for safety or to keep them from eating the cat, but mine hated it the minute he realized that he liked being free better. If you left yours out, he might just sleep the entire time you are gone. I would definitely put away ANYTHING potentially chewable and hide all temptation and use gates at first to keep him in an area you feel comfortable having him alone in, but he truly might be asking you to trust him. Sometimes we have to listen to our dog telling us what is best for them. Just my experience and thoughts.