Chasing Small Animals While On Lead.

Guest Shermanator

Guest Shermanator

Good morning!

We recently relocated from AZ to PA, and little Travel (8 years old) has adjusted tremendously well. I'm so proud of her.

Only problem, is that she is obsessed with all the new critters she sees, squirrels, birds, rabbits, you name it. While on her leash, when she sees something, she launches full speed without warning. Of course, the leash catches her, and ends of yanking her neck once she reaches the end of it. I'm afraid she'll eventually hurt herself.

I'm assuming the next step is to put her harness on when she goes out.

Are there any suggestions to help settle her down?

She's becoming quite the huntress!

Thanks!

Make sure she is not on a retractable lead. Keep her on a regular wide collar (greyhound specific) lead and a regular leash for now.

Hopefully they will become less exciting as they become more familiar!

Meanwhile you can help the process along by being vigilant and learning to spot the critters before she does. Then stand firm and say to her 'oh look- squirrel!' or whatever in a pleased voice. Allow her to watch for a bit, if you like, but not chase. Praise and treat her as she learns to stay calm. The more you do it the easier it gets.

I found this worked well for on-lead walks with Doc and now Ken when I first adopted them, and they wanted to chase any thing that moved. They soon learnt that this was no go, at least while on the lead.

Clare with Tiger (Snapper Gar, b. 18/05/2015), and remembering Ken (Boomtown Ken, 01/05/2011-21/02/2020) and Doc (Barefoot Doctor, 20/08/2001-15/04/2015).

"It is also to be noted of every species, that the handsomest of each move best ... and beasts of the most elegant form, always excel in speed; of this, the horse and greyhound are beautiful examples."----Wiliam Hogarth, The Analysis of Beauty, 1753.

My Borzoi was like that when we brought him home. He once knocked over my FIL when two squirrels chased each other across the street. A few times he ran to the end of his leash & flipped over. Anyway, I worked a lot on "Look at me" and other basic obedience commands. It really helped to break his concentration when he focused on prey. A few times, I turned around on the sidewalk & walked quickly in the other direction when I couldn't get him to stop staring. For him, he usually stared & drew himself up for a few to several seconds before lunging. I constantly scan for prey, so I can be ready to intervene. He isn't low prey & always calm like my other dogs have been, but it's easier to intervene when I have a heads up. Good luck!

Rebecca
with Atlas the borzoi, Luna the pyr, and Madison the cat, always missing Sahara(Flyin Tara Lyn) and Coltrane(Blue on By) the greyhounds

Guest Shermanator

Thanks!

Or dear Lord, no retractable leash here! And she has a wide array of stunning 2 inch martingales. (A gorgeous, spoiled little girl needs to be in style!)

I will be more vigilant in looking for prey. It's hard a night, though.

You may also want to walk with her on a shorter lead. Not tight, but with your hand closer to her collar than just holding the loop end. If you're close enough, you should be able to resist the leap before it is fully executed, even if you just provide some resistance before she hits the end and is stopped by hitting full resistance. I tend to walk my more squirrel-intense dog with the loop around one hand, and the leash held near the middle in the other hand just for this kind of thing. Then she doesn't get up too much speed and she doesn't get her neck jerked on as harshly and I don't lose my arm. :)

Oh, Atlas is worse at night. That's something we still haven't gotten straightened out. :shakefinger If you can get her to stop, please post what you did!

Edited by Saharasmom

Rebecca
with Atlas the borzoi, Luna the pyr, and Madison the cat, always missing Sahara(Flyin Tara Lyn) and Coltrane(Blue on By) the greyhounds

Guest Shermanator

Wow! Thanks everyone! In AZ, for 5 years, she was the sweetest, most laid back little girl. She loved to be outside and couldn't have cared less of what was around her. 6 months in PA, and she's a crazed, obsessed wildlife huntress! I've never seen this excitable side of her! It's great to know she's happily adjusted to the change in her environment, but wow, is she nuts!

Edited by Shermanator

A harness will simply enable her to pull harder.

Most dogs won't willingly choke themselves, and that's why a martingale is intended to be worn up near the chin, not down around the base of the neck. If she pulls, it will be uncomfortable, and she will hopefully stop pulling.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest Shermanator

A harness will simply enable her to pull harder.

Most dogs won't willingly choke themselves, and that's why a martingale is intended to be worn up near the chin, not down around the base of the neck. If she pulls, it will be uncomfortable, and she will hopefully stop pulling.

Unfortunately, it's not just pulling, it's launching as hard and as fast as she can, usually yanking mine or DH's arm, and flipping her around when she runs out of leash, and we already walk her on a 4ft lead. She just launches like a rocket! And we shorten the lead since we wrap it around hand twice for extra grip. We are going to have to be so much more vigilant for critters. What makes it hard, is that she wants space to potty. She's only been going potty on lead for 6 months, and just getting her to do that was hard. (In AZ we had a dog door and fence, in PA, we're in a rental without a fence. Major adjustment for her.)

Thanks everyone!

Kili would love to chase small furries. The jackrabbits are the worst around here. But I've never had her take my arm off. We walk on 4-6' leashes in this household, with only about a foot of loose lead between us. I keep the lead short like that with the dogs right by my side unless they are doing their business, or the occasional stop just to sniff around. I don't give them extra lead to walk ahead of me or out far to the side. They are in a loose heel position the whole time. I can usually tell well in advance that there's a furry creature just by the changes in my dog. Ears, focus, body language - then I can spot it and tell her to leave it. She rarely tries to dart after them now, but even if she does the lead is too short for her to really launch herself anywhere.

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

I would most definitely use a harness, otherwise she could seriously damage herself.

SunnySophiePegsdon.jpg

When a relationship of love is disrupted, the relationship does not cease. The love continues; therefore, the relationship continues. The work of grief is to reconcile and redeem life to a different love relationship. ~ W Scott Lineberry

Always Greyhounds Home Boarding and Greyhounds With Love House Sitting

You may also want to walk with her on a shorter lead. Not tight, but with your hand closer to her collar than just holding the loop end. If you're close enough, you should be able to resist the leap before it is fully executed, even if you just provide some resistance before she hits the end and is stopped by hitting full resistance. I tend to walk my more squirrel-intense dog with the loop around one hand, and the leash held near the middle in the other hand just for this kind of thing. Then she doesn't get up too much speed and she doesn't get her neck jerked on as harshly and I don't lose my arm. :)

This. My girl has zero prey drive. She couldn't be bothered looking at a squirrel let alone chasing it. Nonetheless, I never let her out the full length of the leash. She pretty much heels with me having the loop of the leash through my right hand and most of the rest of the length in my left hand. I learned early on right after adoption, when she got excited in the snow and pulled me over, that letting a Greyhound have more than is necessary to walk, sniff a bit and P&P can be a problem.

Meant to add this before, but I forgot. We moved from NC to Oregon 18 months ago. It's generally cooler here, which makes both our middle aged dogs friskier. Wonder if the change in climate has helped Travel feel more full of it, leading to more charging after prey.

Rebecca

I use a fantastic no pull, no escape harness made by One Stop Harness Shop on Facebook. It really works.

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Guest AtticusMom

I like using a harness, over a traditional martingale+lead for three reasons: 1. It's almost impossible to back out of a secure harness (we use the harness lead, which has no hardware on it) 2. With the serial lungers, I worry that the hardware on a traditional lead might fail over time 3. Previous greys have had neck issues when taking off at speed, and they forget they are on a short leash.

My new grey also is interested in small furries when out on walks. If your grey is food motivated, it can help to keep a small bag of treats. Practice "look at me", or something along those lines. I always keep two hands on the lead in areas where I know there are a bunch of furries, too. Just in case. The other day we came across two squirrels that stopped dead in their tracks a couple of feet in front of us. They were not expecting us to walk into their path. Atticus attempted to back out of his harness, before going for the lunge. Luckily, he was foiled by the harness, and a two hand grip. :D