Training To Go Potty In A Yard?

Hi all, so we just moved from an apartment to a house (with a yard!), and we've run into an issue with Redbo. At the apartment, he had going P&P down to a science. He would do his business in 8 minutes flat in the mornings and at night, with an hour walk in the afternoons. Now that we've moved to a house with a yard, we've continued the afternoon walk, but turn him out in the yard in the morning and at night. Unfortunately, he'll just lay in the grass or play around for 45 minutes without ever going potty. My husband takes him out during his breaks (works at home), but he can't stay out there forever until Redbo goes so they end simply going back inside. It's noon over here, and Redbo hasn't pooped since 10pm last night because he just won't go!! They're outside, but Redbo just goes to the door and tries to go back inside.

He does have one spot in the yard where he poops every time, but getting him to go quickly is the problem. So what we should we do to train him to go in less than 20 minutes or so? We are going to create a turnout area for him with straw and stuff, but even then, how do we train him to go to that particular spot and actually "go?"

Oh and he does go outside at other times that are not potty times. Whenever we're outside, he goes with us.

Thanks!

Edited to add info!

Edited by TXRedbo

popos_zpsgq0lbak1.png

Good luck!

We had the same problem more or less with Jack. When we were walking, he would go, in the yard? Nothing. I could stand there for 30 minutes and nothing and I KNEW he had to go (first morning pee, or when we were back from work). Eventually he figured it out as when he peed, we would play and get back inside. But it took ages...And it took him about a year to poop in the yard, it was always pee! Now he goes either 1 or 2 in 30 seconds tops, but he still prefers to poop on walks!

Anyway, stuff that helped are 1. Rewarding when he goes! Reward, reward reward!!! (also if you have a cue, now is the time to use it!) 2. Bringing another pup so he had something to mark and 3. Offering different pee options (we have a hedge, sand, grass, rocks,... he chose the sandy grass)

And about the no pooping since 10 pm, don't worry, he will go when he has to ;)

Edited by locket

23786382928_141eff29e1.jpg
Cynthia, with Charlie (Britishlionheart) & Zorro el Galgo
Captain Jack (Check my Spots), my first love

He will go when he has to. They always do.

I used a traffic cone to give Rocket a target initially. There are often traffic cones in the turnout pens at racing kennels for this purpose, so it's something they are used to seeing and using. You can pickup a tall cone for around 20 bucks or a little less at Home Depot or Lowe's Probably at least a 24-28 inch cone will be needed if he's tall. If you can have a few other dogs mark it, that will help but may not be necessary. Once he gets in the habit of marking the cone it should help with getting him out there to go.

If you can section off part of ithe yard with a small roll of vinyl construciton fence or snow fence like they use on construction sites, put the cone inside that area and tell him "Potty" or "outside" whatever command you use. Lead him to that area on a leash a few times.

When we had a dedicated potty yard at our previous house, it was much easier to teach him that the yard was only for the purpose. No playing or laying in the grass was allowed, and he would just run out, take care of business and come back to the door.

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Thanks! Your suggestions make so much sense. I guess I just figured we had already done the hard part by training him to go on a leash, but now I'm realizing there's more training to be had!

Good

Anyway, stuff that helped are 1. Rewarding when he goes! Reward, reward reward!!! (also if you have a cue, now is the time to use it!) 2. Bringing another pup so he had something to mark and 3. Offering different pee options (we have a hedge, sand, grass, rocks,... he chose the sandy grass)

We'll definitely go back to the basics with rewards and commands. It's just so funny/sad to see him standing there like "What do you want me to do now?!"

If you can section off part of ithe yard with a small roll of vinyl construciton fence or snow fence like they use on construction sites, put the cone inside that area and tell him "Potty" or "outside" whatever command you use. Lead him to that area on a leash a few times.

When we had a dedicated potty yard at our previous house, it was much easier to teach him that the yard was only for the purpose. No playing or laying in the grass was allowed, and he would just run out, take care of business and come back to the door.

I love the idea of construction fence. Running to HD now.

Oh another question! And if you do have a dedicated potty area in your yards, how big are they?

Edited by TXRedbo

popos_zpsgq0lbak1.png

And if you do have a dedicated potty area in your yards, how big are they?

The one we built at the other house was 12x20. Big enough to wander around and find a spot but not encourage play and running. We were able to use an L-shaped area behind our garage and fenced on the 2 sides that weren't exterior house walls. You also want to keep the area away from Central AC units as dog pee will corrode the AC unit, and the unit is an inviting target.

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

The one we built at the other house was 12x20. Big enough to wander around and find a spot but not encourage play and running. We were able to use an L-shaped area behind our garage and fenced on the 2 sides that weren't exterior house walls. You also want to keep the area away from Central AC units as dog pee will corrode the AC unit, and the unit is an inviting target.

Ack thanks for the info. He LOVED peeing on the AC units around the apt complex (oops), so we'll definitely keep him away from there.

popos_zpsgq0lbak1.png

Another common thing is that it takes movement to properly get the plumbing going, so would it still be possible for him to get a short walk in the mornings? It may help getting his digestive system moving so he realizes there's something he should be doing other than enjoying the day. I know walking in the morning before going to work is a hassle (we have no fenced yard) but a brisk 10 minutes might help!

Put it on command. When he does go say whatever you want the command to be (go pee, go poop), do use separate commands for each, then have a little party with treats or play. After some time he’ll catch on to what those words mean. Obviously, you can’t make him go if he doesn’t have to, but it is a handy reminder. I use it when I have to leave and I need Lila to pee because she’s going to be alone for hours or if it’s raining and she’s just standing by the door.

Lila Football
Jerilyn, missing Lila (Good Looking), new Mistress to Wiki (PJ Wicked).

Ruby has an area about 20' X 6' for her to wander up and down, not fenced, before she will poop. We trained her to go in the bark when we first got her by taking her out on a leash and walking up and down that area, and then the treat. She will only pee on the lawn however, but we didn't mind that. She is really difficult to take anywhere though because she will not poop. I have no idea how long before she goes when we leave her at the kennel. We can walk her all day around town or a park, no poop. She loves the bark o mulch here I guess.

Karen

Walking him on a leash in the back yard. If he doesn't do what you want in a couple minutes, take him back inside and ignore him. Take him out on a leash again in 15 minutes. Repeat as needed. When he goes, make it the most spectacular celebration you can imagine!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Allie has stopped pooping in the yard the past few weeks (pees in the yard no problem). She holds it for our walks (even if that means she poops on the street). I have no idea why. She pooped in the yard just fine the first few weeks after I brought her home. And, since my yard is not fenced, everything is done on a leash, so that is not the difference. Since she still sticks to our potty/walk schedule and doesn't try to get me up at night, I have decided it costs me nothing to let her have her preferences.

AMF All for One "Allie" (1/15/2010 - 3/25/22)

Color Print "Davis" (1/29/2009 - 2/24/19)

Craigie Skynyrd "Zipper" 

We moved from a townhouse (no yard) to a single-family home (small fenced yard) two years ago, and I can still count on both hands the number of times Sweep has pooped in our yard...and most occasions were on leash. She's just a walk-only kind of pooper! Walks are good exercise for me too, and I don't have to do yard patrol, so I've made my peace with it. Good luck with Redbo!

52596614938_aefa4e9757_o.jpg

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly
 Sweep:heart

Outing my hubby here........... he has on occasion left his own urine sample as an inspiration to motivate new dogs.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Guest xengab

We had the total opposite issue at christmas, he had to poop and pee only on leash as we were on vacation. By the end of a week he was a champ at it. Giving them a key word helps. (which my hubby refuses to do). I can get my dog out to potty before bed each night and on leash now. Very helpful when going to a vet or dog training class.

So praise him lots when he does go, use the key word in a happy voice. Thats what worked for us.

(loving the traffic cone thing, going to get one of those)