Getting A Creaky And Cranky Old Guy Out Of Bed In The Mornings

Guest rachel2025

Guest rachel2025

Hello --

I wasn't sure whether to post this in health or behavior. It's a little bit of both.

My 11.5 year old greyhound, Pike, has been having muscular skeletal problems recently and is being treated for them (glucosamine, just started rimadyl this week, and has his first chiropractor appt in 2 weeks).

As is no surprise, he's been having some problems standing up, especially in the mornings, when I imagine he's most stiff.

For the past week or so, he hasn't wanted to get out of his bed at all unless his bladder is ready to burst, and we have not found anything to motivate him to get up -- not high value treats, food, or promises for a ride in the car... This morning my husband tried to get him up by putting on his leash and lifting him, and Pike growled and snapped at him (for the first time in the eight years we've had him). Then, about 10 minutes later, Pike got up on his own terms, and had a sprightly walk around the block.

This is not an issue on the weekends, when we can wait for Pike to be ready to go out. But both my husband and I work in the mornings on weekdays, and we are now being faced with leaving him for 6 hours (until the dog walker comes), during which he would certainly pee and poop on the floor, or one of us staying home to wait for him (which is not sustainable with our jobs).

We both understand this behavior is because he's feeling pain when he gets up. :(

I'm just wondering if anybody has any advice about what (if anything) we can do or has had the same problem and found anything that worked for them.

I can't tell you how much relief he'll probably experience from going to chiro. I use it for Ryder and it works really well, you just have to maintain a schedule. That alone will help him a great deal.

If you want to add supplements to his diet, I've been using Springtime's Joint Health and Fresh Factors. Very simple to add to food, or can eat them on their own.

He's just grumpy cuz he's in pain I guess, and that would explain the growling. When you do put a leash on his collar, stand back and tug, don't kneel there right in front of his face. But that often should get him up when he's reluctant. You can also get a harness that can "lift" him and help him when his body just can't do it and needs some umph.

I'm certain more will chime in but it's a common thing as they age and all we can really do is help them as best we can with alternate meds instead of going to Metacam (although than can be considered too).

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

I have the same issue with one of mine who is also 11 years old. As I'm home with him most of the time it's not so much of an issue, as I can just wait for him to get up on his own terms. The only thing I can suggest is seeing if he'll wear an assistance harness, either overnight or 24/7, so that you can encourage him to stand without manhandling him. Unfortunately my boy won't wear one but it may be an option for you. We tried the Greyhound Assistance Harness made by Godsgreyts https://www.etsy.com/listing/225448995/greyhound-assistance-harness and the Ruffwear Webmaster http://www.amazon.com/Web-Master-Harness-Medium-Currant/dp/B005OTY7A6/ref=sr_1_1?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1458837827&sr=1-1&keywords=ruffwear+webmaster+harness

SunnySophiePegsdon.jpg

When a relationship of love is disrupted, the relationship does not cease. The love continues; therefore, the relationship continues. The work of grief is to reconcile and redeem life to a different love relationship. ~ W Scott Lineberry

Always Greyhounds Home Boarding and Greyhounds With Love House Sitting

I would give him something for the pain until the chiropractor appointment. I would never let one of boys suffer when I have ways to help him. Every good chiroprator will tell you that if you are in pain and try to avoid it, you make it worse because you move in the wrong way - malposition. It is the same with dogs.

Furthermore you will gain nothing when your dog is in too much pain for the chiropractor to help him properly.

I don't know about pain meds in the US but I use metacam because it is also inflammatory. Of course there are side effects when used over a long time but you have to evaluate risk against benefit.

Sorry for butchering the english language. I try to keep the mistakes to a minimum.

Nadine with Paddy (Zippy Mullane), Saoirse (Lizzie Be Nice), Abu (Cillowen Abu) and bridge angels Colin (Dessies Hero) and Andy (Riot Officer).

Guest AtticusMom

I haven't had experience with the snapping+growling but I have had experience with a senior greyhound with severe mobility issues that needs assistance getting up. I second an assistance harness, if Pike will tolerate it. We got ours from the emergency vet: there was one for the chest area and a separate harness for the back end. You slip it under their chest area (or their back end, or both, and then hold them like a suitcase), so you can gently help them into a standing position. It definitely wouldn't hurt to pop a muzzle on, while he gets used to the new routine.

I hope his new meds and treatments will make all the difference. Best wishes.

I'd guess he needs more Rimadyl.

If you believe supplements work (and that's a big if) you still need to give them 4 weeks or so to actually do anything. I think they even say that in their own literature. Never did a thing for any dog of mine, but a daily dose of an NSAID made all the difference!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

It appears he does eventually get up on his own so perhaps if you can get up earlier than necessary for your schedule, it will give him the idea he'll have to get up in, for instance, 15 minutes, and maybe the time will even out. If your boy is used to you getting up and within a certain amount of time, getting him up but he needs more time, you getting up a bit earlier will give him that extra time.

Edited by Feisty49

my 12 y/o girl takes Gabapentin 300mg 3 times/day, as well as Tramadol 100 mg 2 times/day.... it has been a godsend.... arthritis pain is soooo much better.... she gets up easier, can still go for half hour walkies... and even gets the zoomies in the house or yard, at times.... i would focus on higher pain management for Pike.

Image removed, not within Signature Guidelines.

Guest rachel2025

Hi All,

Wanted to thank you for all of the advice. We're still working on the pain for Pike.

We have him on Rimadyl now, and he had his first chiropractic visit last week (he was really sore for a couple of days after -- we'll try again this week and see if it helps second time around. Chiropractor, who is reco'd by our vet, says that he has had some alignment issues for quite some time).

Also, after extreme restlessness the past few nights, we are trying Gabapentin.

Oh, and finally, we ARE getting him up in the morning.

Here's what's working:

1. Microwave the highest of high value treats so it's good and fragrant for old greyhound noses (hot dogs, pieces of liver, and ground beef seem to do the trick)

2. Place one treat in greyhound's mouth

3. Place next treat just out of reach of his nose

4. Place third treat just out of reach of the second treat

4. Greyhound will eventually get up, once he realizes humans will not bring the treats, at which moment he can be coaxed outside.

A trail of noms....good job.

It's common to be sore after a chiro session, as well for them to be even more sedate. Alignment just releases tension and bad energy, and the muscles and bone have to learn to work in proper harmony. Please try to continue going if it's not too hard on him. It does work, it does get better (let's pray it does for you).

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

What is his actual diagnosis? Cold laser, acupuncture, physical therapy, etc may also be options. I think Gabapentin is a great medication - hopefully that helps him. Make sure you are dosing smaller amts more frequently as possible rather than one or two big doses. 100 mg 2-3x/day is a good starting point and give it a few days to take full effect.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."