New Dog Potty Habits

Guest peacehound

Guest peacehound

My new girl poops in the yard several times a day. My experience was a grey who went twice a day without fail, very rarely more. This new girl, two and a half came to us on Nutro food. We give her 2 cups twice a day and she is getting small milkbones as rewards for going up the stairs that she hates and when she uses the bathroom outside. (she is in process of learning) This dog is so much work but I just adore her, much different then my other grey who was so easy from day one. Anyways this girl poops four or five times a day, every day, sometimes six times..do I need to be concerned? we plan to go to a different food but not now, stool is solid and we don't want to mess with her stomach by switching.

One more thing she is 73 pounds..her racing weight was 70.

While Hunter will go a couple of times a day during the week when leach walking... loose at the dog park is another matter.

I think during the week he goes just enough to make room for more food. At the park he will go 5 .. 6.. 7 ... times. By the end it's just a spot.

Willow( Hi Tech Popandgo ) CGC #31965 Calico Salad x MayPop 8-9-93/9-24-07 Austin( Nodak Austin ) #55202 Chrisse's Twelve x Lotsa Liz 2-25-96/2-15-05 Matt( Kelsos Metaphor ) #90695 Oswald Cobblepot x Kelso's Movita 8-10-00/2-28-14 Buddy (Aljo Class Act) #78137 Action By Design x Miss Classy 12-8-98/8-29-09 Sonny (Onaim Excalibur)#97927 Flying Train x Rough Diamond 9-7-01/1-9-2016Hunter (SS Snow Roll) #35135 Craigie Whistler x Lightning Snow 10-4-2005/9-23-17 Leo (Yolo Empleo)#72060 4-13-18 Fiesta Paraguas x Mega Bien Hecho

Guest Scouts_mom

If it is solidish, and doesn't have blood or mucus, I don't think you need to worry. It probably is that she is used to pooping when she is turned out. If you turn her out several times a day, she will poop several times a day. I wouldn't try to change her habits until she is really truly house trained. Then she will ask for when she needs to go out and the number of trips out will probably decrease dramatically.---That's my theory anyway.

A couple things could be going on. She might be getting too much food, and/or stress. Both of those things can cause multiple poopings.

BUT - Since she's new, and she's going OUTSIDE to poop (that's a big deal) and her poops are consistent (another big deal) - I'd leave it alone.

I personally found that our fosters when they were new to the house, peed and pooped about a thousand times per day. For a while. Then it tapered off after a week, or a month, depending on the dog, with NO changes to their food. Just WAIT.

I definitely wouldn't change the brand of food right now. You "might" consider cutting the volume back a SMIDGE.

Honestly - I wouldn't rock the boat right now. Give it a couple months more, then consider a change. Not now.

Sounds normal to me. Um, I wouldn't know how to act with a dog that only poops twice a day. Our boy, Alex, has always pooped at least 4-5 times per day, without regard to the brand of food. I think he does it for sport! Heck, he'll go 5-6 times during a longer walk sometimes. He is almost 11 and weighs 76 lbs. Our vet says he's healthy and that his pooping habits are just his way.

Cheryl - "Mom" to RUNNER (Gunnah, born 6/15/2012) and FARGO (Ridin Shotgun, born 8/21/2015). Missing my Grey-Angels HEISMAN (RX Heisman) (3/29/2005-2/1/2016) and ALEX (Bevenly) (4/15/2005-6/7/2018).

Allie is about 66 lbs. She is fed about 3 cups of food per day.

She poops "twice" a day. The "" are because she might poop a couple times within a few minutes (especially if we are on a walk). But I still count it as once.

Allie was pooping more when I was accidentally giving her way too much food (stupid lying measuring scoop).

AMF All for One "Allie" (1/15/2010 - 3/25/22)

Color Print "Davis" (1/29/2009 - 2/24/19)

Craigie Skynyrd "Zipper" 

Rocket is now 88 lbs and only get about 3 - 3 1/4 cups of his food plus some treats. I would try cutting back the food and maybe cut out a Milk Bone or Two. I have noticed that on the days where he gets an extra Milk Bone from a neighbor or has an extra treat or two, the volume of output is much higher.

Double check the feeding instructions on the bag as each food is very different. Start with the minimum amout for her weight group and adjust from there. Also, make sure you are using an actual cup measurement, not a cup or scoop that came with a food container. It all makes a big difference when trying to narrow down the right amount of food to give.

If she starts getting too heavy, you can always reduce the kibble and replace it with green beans - works well when you get a hound to the weight that is right for them.

typos edited

Edited by Time4ANap
rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Guest Loves4Greyz

Our 60 pound pups get about 2 cups per day along with green beans in the pm and scoop of yogurt in the am. They poop a couple of times a day. Our 90 pound boy was getting about 3.5 cups along with beans and yogurt but he is very inactive. When he retired in 2008 he really retired.

They do like to poo. The more often and/or longer distance I walk Annie, the more she can squeeze out. Annie weighs 65-66 pounds and gets just under 3 cups of kibble a day plus a few treats. If she starts looking chunky monkey, I cut back on treats. If your girl's poos are good, as it seems they are, I would count my blessings and not change her food. Annie's poos are mostly OK, except for later in the day when they are soft serve.