Foster Acting Up

Guest KarenD

Guest KarenD

Our foster, Buddie, is a return. We knew he had SA and we are dealing with that. After a home visit he is now showing some strange behavior that is not in his history.

He is hoarding bigger and heavier items when we leave the house...not destroying....like bottles of water, heavy pillows and blankets.

He gets more excited than usual when a friend comes over with her dog....even nipped at her ankles and butt. Playful, but still odd.

Then he can't stop digging in the dirt.

All of this just in the last 3-4 days.

Sometimes I think he knows he might be leaving for his permanent home but not sure.

We've only been fostering greys for a year and this has never happened....any thoughts?

Guest Scouts_mom

I can't explain all of his behaviors, but I know my dogs go crazy digging when spring comes and the soil is nice and soft and smells good. I go bonkers trying to protect my plants. So maybe he has spring fever?

Guest xengab

Mine is a stuffie hoarder, any and all stuffed toys will either get put in his toy box or in his bed.

He digs too, since well thats what some dogs do and is normal from what my adoption group has said. Mine started doing it after he felt more relaxed with us.

I think he feels more relaxed with you and thus his true nature (playful) is showing now. If YOU feel more happy he is finally getting a new family to be with, he will pick up on it.

It sounds to me like he is just feeling very comfortable with you and his surroundings. Two of mine were big on dirt digging in the yard. I gave up filling one of the holes. They liked to dig some fresh layers of dirt and then lay in it in the warm weather. Probably because it was cooler. My little female grey likes digging her bed to plump it up before laying down.

A grey that I dog-sat spent a lot of time going to the toy box and one by one bringing every toy in there back to his bed. It was the cutest thing to watch.

I think the nipping is excitement. He sounds like a happy, involved hound to me :). I don't think he knows he is going to a permanent home, only that he is happy where he is. It is good of you to foster.

Guest KarenD

I certainly feel better. All comments(3) above make so much sense. Just weird it all happened within a few days. We will keep our fingers crossed that this potential new home is indeed his permanent one......and if not.....he is always welcome back.

Thanks to all.

Greys are quirky. You can never understand what's going on in that brain. Returns can get especially quirky IMHO. I had a dog "nest" a 128 oz. bottle of Tide. No damage, just put it in his bed. I never figured out how he carried it. Along with everything else in the house that he put in his bed in a week's span.

Just wait. It'll be fine. Don't over-think it.

My Snap still does all those things and he has been home for almost 2 years. I hope he never stops, he's a happy boy.

CollageSnap

<p>Finn, Wink, Birdie, Snap and SmokeyJG Quicknfast 7/25/99-5/16/08, JG Quickwink 7/25/99-9/22/13, Iruska SweetDuv 7/19/03-11/9/16, Delbar 6/11/11 and Catahoula Smokey

He sounds like he has personality-plus!

Personally, I enjoy the high-spirited Greyhounds and their funny quirks. (The SA problem is a pain, tho.) I'll bet some of his clownish ways means he is happy and enjoying the attention he is getting from his foster family.

You are doing a good thing by fostering him. Enjoy.

Cheryl - "Mom" to RUNNER (Gunnah, born 6/15/2012) and FARGO (Ridin Shotgun, born 8/21/2015). Missing my Grey-Angels HEISMAN (RX Heisman) (3/29/2005-2/1/2016) and ALEX (Bevenly) (4/15/2005-6/7/2018).

Guest KarenD

Greys are quirky. You can never understand what's going on in that brain. Returns can get especially quirky IMHO. I had a dog "nest" a 128 oz. bottle of Tide. No damage, just put it in his bed. I never figured out how he carried it. Along with everything else in the house that he put in his bed in a week's span.

Just wait. It'll be fine. Don't over-think it.

That's so funny! I thought he was over doing it with the water bottles. He has since settled down quite well. Hoping the future permanent family will get their new Easter "Buddie"....that's his name.

Is he getting any meaningful exercise? Sounds like he's trying to make his own fun/entertainment.

Oh yes, we walk our dogs twice a day weather permitting. He seems to be the type that needs more I suppose.

Guest Loves4Greyz

Digging seems to be common to a lot of these pups. In my yard now that it is spring one galgo and one greyhound dig like they are on their way to China. They race each other around the yard, stop and dig and then dig some more. Last summer they uncovered a bunch of PVC piping. I get plenty of exercise carrying in bags of topsoil...where does all the dirt go???