Broken Leg

Guest MnMDogs

Awww man this must be so stressful, and I can't believe that break! I'm not sure if you have a belly band handy that you could use temporarily until he's over this hump? It's not ideal, but at least the pee would be somewhat contained in a pad.

Thinking the best for you all.

Edited by MnMDogs

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Washable hospital bed pads might be bigger/cover more area underneath him - and, washable, so maybe cheaper??

You guys are doing great! One day at a time! The first week after major surgery is always the worst.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

I know it is hard, and stressful, but sometimes you have to do a little tough love. He will forgive you (actually, he'll probably forget all about it!) and in a few days things will be much better. :bighug

The bellyband with a maxipad is a good idea, much easier clean up

Sending all our best wishes to Jake and to you. That x-ray looks like a shot of my kitchen junk drawer. :grouphug

If you are using disposable pee pads, then I second the above suggestion for the sturdy, washable human type. Less unwanted movement/crinkling under him, sturdy if you need to use them as a lifting aid, and cheaper in the medium and long runs. I still have 5 or 6 from 7 years ago.* If you're interested, look up "incontinence bed pads."

I also second the suggestion of a 24/7 harness. Makes lifting so much easier.

You and Jake will get through this. Give his silky ears an extra stroke from us.

*If you don't mind another funny pee story -- when my dear Scout was in the last few months of advanced kidney disease, I would leave large cloth pee pads all over the floors of the house. Scout went to considerable trouble to pee on bare floor, not pee pad. I guess he thought it was less heinous when he needed to pee inside?

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

Awh. Well he's grumpy cuz he's in pain and can't move about and be his normal self, and you guys are doing so good!!!

Perhaps a change of med is in order? I am not sure but he shouldn't be so reluctant to move I would think. Again, consider the 24/7 harness. It's so much easier to help him with leverage.

It will get better. It's hard to see it, but every day will get better. Chin up guys.

Edited by XTRAWLD

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

I would call the vet again & talk to them. What you are going through sounds abnormal.

You have to make him get up even if It seems mean. And frankly, at this point I believe you should make him go outside at least twice a day, if only for a few minutes. Wouldn't say that if you had steps but you say you don't. Will repeat what Xtrawild said, consider a 24/7 harness. It doesn't have to be a special type, just a standard walking harness will work. It will help you get him up, likely without having to pull the bed up with him.

Have you considered a belly band? You can use human incontinence pads as a belly band. Had a very large dog with major urinary issues, both neurological and kidney diseases. I used something called "belted shields", basically adult diapers. Example http://www.walmart.com/ip/Assurance-Belted-Undergarments-Moderate-Absorbency-30-ct/11148237 (You could use the "briefs" style instead, but it helps to trim the flaps.) I just wrapped that around his waist, taping the two ends together. It contains most of the urine, but is not entirely leak proof with a dog laying on his side so you would still want him on something waterproof underneath him. It is much easier to pull off & reapply a belly band than it is to pull all the bedding out from under the dog.

There are waterproof, polyester shower curtains that feel like fabric, not plastic. Example http://www.walmart.com/ip/InterDesign-Extra-Wide-Waterproof-Shower-Curtain/22796183 You could spread that over not only the bed but the flooring around it. That helps protect a large area just in case a belly band leaks or incontinence pad slips.

Sending many more good wishes & hopes that he turns a corner today, making life easier for all of you.

Well, we got him up and outside for a bit. He growled and snapped, but I know it's best for him. He needed a lot of help, but he took a few steps on his own. He was much more willing to walk around when we first brought him home, but I'm guessing that was the good iv drugs. Baby steps... He got a burger patty for his effort.

jakesigsmall_zps254e191c.jpg

Photographer in Phoenix, AZ www.northmountainphoto.com

Just peed outside! I've never been so happy to get splashed by dog pee! :) He still wants to murder is when we lift him, but that will take time

:yay Progress!

53827132849_248d9686fd_o.jpg

Rachel with Doolin Doodle Dooooo, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our gorgeous, gutsy girlhounds
 Sweep and Willa:heart

He pooped! Lol ... He stood up and we helped him all the way ... To the kitchen! Still, he didn't sit in it which was my big fear, and tile is easy to clean.

woo hoo ! celebrate each step to wellness ! Good job helping your boy :)

ho5U2p6.jpg?1

Things are getting better, if not necessarily easier for you. What a tough road so far. Poor babies! :( But... As long as the overall picture is of forward progress then there's light at the end of the tunnel. And yes, tile pooping is much better than on carpet. If call that a win!

I just read your story about Jake. What an amazing story. Jake is so lucky to have such a dedicated human.When one of ours is sick, it can be a very hard time for all.

Glad to see that he is progressing. I had adopted a grey girl who broke her leg racing. We made ramps and rails for her through out and had a ramp for the SUV.

She was not able to go on long walks afterwards, but that was okay. She would let me know when she was tired. We let her set the pace and she did good with it.

The best to you and Jake. You have come so far so soon already. I used kirkland (Costco) pee pads over human pads on top of a shower curtain when she could not

make it outside. It worked pretty good.

Last night was frustrating. We got him in the crate vs the x-pen because we have to work today. He pooped in the crate and when we tried to get him out of there he growled and snapped and sat in the poop :sick If that wasn't bad enough, when we finally got him out, he started hopping all over the house tracking poop. :repuke So we had to clean him and the floors and throw away a comforter at midnight last night (yes, I know it is washable, but it was midnight and it was so much easier to throw away one Goodwill blanket...) DH and I were both pretty pissed and yelled at him (in the heat of the moment) so I got to feel guilty about that because it's not his fault and he's in pain.... hoping for a better day today!

Sounds like things are slowly getting better. That was one nasty looking break. Is he eating well ? Does he stand to do that ? I have not had to deal with anything like this, just curious how it all works. Sending healing prayers for Jake.

He was eating well, but in the past few days he has not wanted to eat very much. I would say 1/2 or less of what he normally eats. He has always been picky, so I am trying to change things up a bit for him. He does not stand to eat or drink, but he does readjust himself on the bed and will sometimes try to stand to go out. The one thing he REALLY wants is to jump on the couch- and that's a no! We have been using a towel or lift harness around his hip area to help support his back half while walking, although he has been doing better walking since yesterday. He kind of kangaroo hops on his good legs and holds the bad one up. At this point I'm wondering if the amputation would have been better, but I hope when it's all over we will be happy with our decision.

Thanks for listening to me vent! Today is Jake's second gotcha day- not how I was expecting to spend it, but I still love my little brat :balloonparty

It would have been a rough two weeks with the amputation too. Give it a little time. Does he still have enough pain meds? Maybe he needs more of a cocktail instead of just tramadol.

And happy Gotcha Day Jake, from your 2015 Secret Santa!!

He is on a LOT of tramadol, but the vet said with his bruising and swelling they didn't want to do an NSAID. However, I think I will call again and see if we can get him some Rimadyl because his swelling and bruising is almost gone. The e-vets were good, but not really greyhound-savvy, so I think I will take him to the normal vet for follow-up care.