What Is This?

25231414294_75d42f8a70_z.jpg

DH noticed this discoloration in Sweep's ear this morning. Seems an odd place for a bruise, but I suppose it's possible. Cause for concern? She hasn't been messing with it.

52596614938_aefa4e9757_o.jpg

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly
 Sweep:heart

Looks like a bruise. Could have hit her ear on something when shaking? As long as it isn't spreading or she doesn't have bruising appear in other areas, like stomach or inner legs, I wouldn't worry about it. Just keep an eye on it over the next day or so.

Thanks, y'all. The shaking theory makes sense--it's just so weird that it's on the inside, not the outside! She also sometimes falls asleep with her head under a chair or the coffee table, so maybe she bonked it that way. I'll keep an eye out for any spreading. The tattoo helps for scale. :)

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly

Her ear may be bruised on the inside too, it's just not noticeable like the inside because of her fur? The head shaking / whacking makes sense, hope that's all it is for your pretty girl.

eta Has the weather gotten warm? Could be a bite from one of those tiny gnats or some other type of flying thing.

Edited by FiveRoooooers

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Looks like a bruise to me. I would go with observation for the next days. And you can give some arnica or use a bit of traumeel gel if you like.

Sorry for butchering the english language. I try to keep the mistakes to a minimum.

Nadine with Paddy (Zippy Mullane), Saoirse (Lizzie Be Nice), Abu (Cillowen Abu) and bridge angels Colin (Dessies Hero) and Andy (Riot Officer).

Also consider that an ear might get pinched a bit when donning or doffing a snug martingale, especially if she's turned her head the wrong way. Or if she ever wears a muzzle, and she worked to get it off and pinched her ear.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Her ear may be bruised on the inside too, it's just not noticeable like the inside because of her fur? The head shaking / whacking makes sense, hope that's all it is for your pretty girl.

eta Has the weather gotten warm? Could be a bite from one of those tiny gnats or some other type of flying thing.

Yep, it's been 70s and even mid-80s (too soon!) here this week--lots of flying pests and creepy crawlies about. Ugh.

Also consider that an ear might get pinched a bit when donning or doffing a snug martingale, especially if she's turned her head the wrong way. Or if she ever wears a muzzle, and she worked to get it off and pinched her ear.

I like this theory. We've switched to a harness for walks, but on her last out we still do a martingale + leash in the backyard (no off-leash activity in weeks due to her mystery limp--several other threads on that topic). She's eager for her bedtime treat, so she's pretty squirmy when we come back in and remove her collar.

Probably slept on it while it was folded back.

Also a distinct possibility!

Thanks again, everyone.