Are Giant Cones Necessary After Neutering?

We just adopted a new 1-1/2 year old greyhound (a real sweetie) from a Kansas. We are taking him in for neutering in a couple of days and was wondering if we need to have him wear the big cone to keep him from bothering his incision. I know our other dogs never, never liked these things. Does anyone know if this is standard practice? It seems kind of silly unless there is a problem with him bothering it. Thanks for any advice.

Yes, he needs something to prevent licking. Whether that is a cone or a muzzle, but something is necessary. Most of us here use muzzles instead of cones.

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

Of all 42 fosters none wore a cone . If stiches are involved ,vigilance is necessary for a few days to watch for swelling. Most of the dogs are now super glued and much faster recovery. We have gone to Meet and Greets the next day. Female surgery is a different ball game.

Many greyhounds a)freak out when wearing a cone, making them totally useless, and/or B) can't keep one on their head. Greyhound head are very streamlined and dont have much in the way of jaws or skull protrusions to hold the cone on. They usually end up sliding right off. A muzzle will be easier and more familar to your new dog. If he tries to lick even with the muzzle on, you can use duct tape over the front holes.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

I would only use a cone as a last resort if he absolutely won't leave it alone. Watch and see if he bothers it - if he does, try a muzzle with a poop cup first. The adoptable hounds get snipped and brought back to their crates - no cones and no muzzle, unless we see them licking constantly. They all fare just fine!

Mom of bridge babies Regis and Dusty.

Wrote a book about shelter dogs!

I sell things on Etsy!

Try a bite not collar. There are several YouTube videos showing how to make your own if you don't want to buy one. Fold a bath towel in thirds, lengthwise, and wrap it around the neck. Secure it with vet wrap or tape. No cone in front of the face, but can't turn the head enough to get at the area. I brought my two broods home with cones after their spays but switched to bite not after one day. I had one actual bite not collar, and used a towel for the other girl.

Edited by Neighsayer

Guest FordRacingRon

FYI,,,Leia never hated the cone (she wore one for weeks after a pitbull mauled her leg) but I did find one at Petco that was soft and squishy that she really liked better and velcro made if possible to get it on her and not have it fall off. When she slept it conformed to her.

I will say when we picked her she just had the spay thing done, still had stitches, and never bothered them at all.

I had one experience with a foster grey with a cone and swore NEVER AGAIN. The poor thing was terrified, quickly became aggressive, and I took it off within a couple hours before I had a pack fight on my hands. All the other suggestions above are good ones, and I'd personally only use a cone as an absolute last resort. She had a shoulder injury so I put a T-shirt on her (thank you GT) and she couldn't get to it.

The vets suggest cones because it's the "easy" common solution. I think sighthounds (and probably other dogs) get very disoriented when they can see all around them.

Guest Loves4Greyz

Some tolerate the cone but a lot don't. I witnessed one of mine when I put a cone on her and was terrified at her reaction. I feared that she would hurt herself before I could get it off. Muzzles and vigilance work best for me. One of my pups had a cut on his leg and never bothered it so no cone or muzzle.