Hangin' Out At The Gym

A new doggie daycare opened up close to my work. I took Ryder there this morning for a half day to see how it goes. There are 4 other dogs in there with him, everyone is getting along and one person is in there at all times for supervision. It has a live webcam you can watch too! If anyone is interested, you can watch him simply follow the handler around all day LOL. Hey, at least he's not standing in the corner!

http://www.dogtopia.com/mississauga-meadowvale/webcams/

Click on Gym (the first vid box with the blue dog) - he's currently in there until about noon today.

I've been able to get the vid to successfully load on my tablet or phone, but not on the computer. So if you get an error message, I'm sorry! (It seems to work better on Chrome and not Firefox?)

Edited by XTRAWLD

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

Lol, looks like a quiet day for all the dogs! Ryder is one of the only ones standing upright!

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

lol He really IS following that lady everywhere. He's gonna be exhausted from walking around for 4 hours. :P He looks a bit uncertain but that is a really strange, new place for him. He may learn to really like it once he is used to it (and knows him momma always picks him up afterwards).

Haha it is almost 12, I am going to see if you come in to get him (a bit creepy, no???).

I won't be going into the room to get him, they will bring him out. He's been put into a crate for a little downtime (it's lunch). I brought his bed so they have it in there, he might finally lay down! I bet he'll be pooped.

Thanks guys. I'm going to try to do this as a half day on a weekly basis, seeing as this may have worked out ok!

Proudly owned by:

I used to drop my mutt off at the doggy daycare by me and would watch her throughout the day. She was there for my entire work day so about 10 hours and EVERY. TIME. I looked in on her she was just standing there :rolleyes:

Missing my bridge greys Opal and Eden and cat Bailey. Mom to Missy the Super Mutt and recent foster failure of Miley to mini-mutt.

BTW, he looks like he's walking well too--are you seeing improvement with the limping?

It's so off and on its hard to say. Sunday for example, no limp (he had finished his Onsior), but 2 days prior (still on meds) - limp.I actually watched him follow the leader today and noticed it, so I really have no idea!

I bought a 5 day package when I picked him up which can be used as half days so essentially I have 10 half days. Today's trial wss free :) I plan to take him next Tuesday, and the following Tuesday (both half days as those are the days I have school in the aft) so stay tuned! (Of course I'll reprompt on this thread)

They gave me a report card that says: my first day at dogtopia I was a little nervous but then I started to gain some confidence. I played with the room attendant, she is my favorite! My favorite activity is to play follow the leader and sometimes making my own path.

They included 3 pics as well as emailing me a couple hours in to let me know how he was doing. I must say I'm thoroughly impressed with the facility and the staff. Even my tour on Friday to check it out was great.

We got home he immediately drank, but then also went for a play session with me in the basement. I hope this will lift his spirits and make him a dog again after Kasey left us.

Edited by XTRAWLD

Proudly owned by:

I look forward to the next installment of "follow the leader" with Ryder. :) We have a Dogtopia just a few minutes away--I must say, now I'm intrigued!

52596614938_aefa4e9757_o.jpg

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly
 Sweep:heart

Half day 2 today. He'll be there until noon. He already is walking around a little more on his own and not following the leader *quite* as much.

Again, click Gym (the one with the big blue dog)

Edited by XTRAWLD

Proudly owned by:

I'm not sure what's the lesser evil. Standing/walking around for 4 hours, slightly nervous and panting but getting tonnes of mental stimulation and some affection, or laying in my house 8 hours while I'm at work. While this sounds like a pro for daycare, this is the second time in as many outings he has cramped up and is as stiff as a board 4 hours after I bring him home. Got him meds tonight for it. Sigh. Is he out of shape or what? Do I keep going with this?

Proudly owned by:

Ryder is hanging out there again til noon. Click Gym linky in first post.

I gave him methocarbamol (Robaxin) this morning BEFORE we went, hoping that might alleviate some stiffness.

Edited by XTRAWLD

Proudly owned by:

Yay, she encouraged him to lie down on a cot, so I'm pretty happy about that. She was petting him and praising him - of course he didn't stay down long! I had asked them to move one off to the side so I'm glad they did. If he learns it's ok to lay down, he may be able to relieve some muscle pain!

Proudly owned by:

I've been watching him ... wish they would have had a webcam way back (2001) when I was taking my first greyhound to day care.. .

Wonder if they put something softer on a cot if he'd be more likely to lay down ... don't know if mine would either, but guessing, as 'spoiled' as MINE are, they would probably think that the bare cot was just to 'hard' !

Lee: (RR's Busy): Oswald Cobblepot X Lively Layla (10/14/97 - 01/22/10) ; Cool: (P's Cool Runner): P's Raising Cain X My Cool Runner (3/3/97 - 12/26/09) ; Nutty: (Itsanutterbutter): State of the Art X Itsalmostsaintly ; Waterproof: (KB's Waterproof): Oshkosh Slammer X Special Lady* ; Sadie: my sweet silly girl: 5/5/98 - 11/26/05

• 1 month later...

My school schedule is ramping up again starting today, so that means half days at the "Gym" for Ryder.

He's there now, until 12pm. Tune in if you'd like.

The group of dogs has changed since a couple of months ago. Mostly puppies with high energy. Ryder as expected is walking the periphery or follow the leader. I asked for a forced "time out" in the crate with his bed at 11 just to give his muscles a chance to relax because he's so tense. This worked well last time in combination with methocarbomol (which he had this morning) and I expect to give him again at dinner and again tomorrow morning. I got enough from the vet to last me 3 doses a week until August, which is when my schooling is done and when I expect to stop bringing him.

http://www.dogtopia.com/mississauga-meadowvale/webcams/ Top cam with blue doberman "Gym"

I believe there might be two other smaller dogs in the Toy Box.

Proudly owned by:

Guest chickenpotpie

This is very cool! too bad I missed the video. Lucky goes to daycare once a week. I do it not only for myself (I work at home) but for her too. Keeps her mentally stimulated and around other dogs. She's always with the small dogs. Tends to love corgi's in general (go figure on that one!) The sad part about leaving this area is I will have to find another daycare for her. ugh....

• 2 months later...

It had been a while since I brought Ryder to Dogtopia. My schedule has been pretty messy this summer to say the least. I prepaid for a bunch of days which I use as half days since I don't think his body can really take a longer stint, so I take him on the days I have class in the afternoons. Anyway, I only have 2 more school days left this semester and likely until mid next year, so I figure I better take him again.

He's in the Romper room today with the littler dogs. I think the Toybox is too high energy, and I'm happy with their decision! Click the Green dog room to see him. He's there till noon today.

I also note he's been paired up with the first "handler" he had back in March. She's pretty awesome and she loves Ryder and he seems to take to her well too!

Edited by XTRAWLD

Proudly owned by:

Stiff towards the evening hours in his left hind leg. Seems better this morning. Unfortunately this seems to be the typical thing. Highly frustrating. Can't do very much outside of the norm or he's sore. I don't really get it!

Proudly owned by:

Stiff towards the evening hours in his left hind leg. Seems better this morning. Unfortunately this seems to be the typical thing. Highly frustrating. Can't do very much outside of the norm or he's sore. I don't really get it!

Aw, I missed seeing him this time! Sorry he's still having some stiffness afterward. I've pretty much accepted (after acu, chiro, PT, and cold laser therapy) that this is where we are with Sweep too.

52596614938_aefa4e9757_o.jpg

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly
 Sweep:heart