What To Do About My Cats.....

Allie adopted me 6 weeks ago. I have two cats who are almost 10 years old and have never lived with any other animals.

A friend came over and helped me with proper introductions. Allie was curious for a sniff; but backed off when she got swatted. She was easily distracted. Later that same day, she wouldn't even walk past one of the cats (who stayed out just for a little while) without averting her head and eyes. From the beginning, Allie avoided the cats' favorite spots (i.e. the couch and their beds) even though she has never seen them there.

In my preparations, I spent months trying to make changes around the house in advance of bringing in a dog. I created a cat safe area (i.e. the entire basement/lower level of the house). There is a "cat hole" in the basement door. The cats' food, water, and litter have always been down there (since we moved into the house almost 3 years ago) and I added scratchers, toys, and beds.

Well, I think I did too well. The cats will not come out of the basement. One will come up for a few seconds on a reconnaissance mission (I think they play "rock, paper, scissors" to see which one has to come up) but quickly return to the basement when Allie is spotted. They are definitely runners. When Allie has seen them do this, she watches them (the whole encounter is over in a few seconds), then goes (at a relaxed pace) to where they were to sniff after they leave. She doesn't lunge, whine, or try to search for them. I think they are just "new" every time she sees them now, since they hide so much. Unless I have the cat hole barricaded (with a baby gate; at night, when she is in her crate, mealtimes, and playtime), Allie is muzzled at all times.

I do know that at least one comes up sometimes while I am gone to work and gets on the couch (kitty paw prints and cat hair in the fleece cover). She could watch Allie in her crate from there easily. But very little to nothing while I am home.

The cats do "window dance" in the basement windows (which put them at ground level with Allie; nose to nose through the glass) when I take Allie out to the backyard (on leash, not fenced). Allie looks at them for a second, then looks away.

Do I just wait them out? I absolutely do not want to force the issue and end up making things worse. I try to spend some time with them in the basement everyday, but it is not enough. I miss my kitties.

AMF All for One "Allie" (1/15/2010 - 3/25/22)

Color Print "Davis" (1/29/2009 - 2/24/19)

Craigie Skynyrd "Zipper" 

I would give them time to adjust. You might also try plugging in Feliway adaptors in the basement and the main living space where I presume the crate is. It may help reduce their levels of anxiety over this new creature in the house.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

I agree with time plus Feliway. One of my cats, Olive, hid in a closet and vomited daily for a week when we first got Sweep. We didn't know if we'd be able to keep Sweep. Feliway plug-ins and catnip helped a lot. Olive still kept her distance for several weeks, but within a few months she was rolling around on the floor, belly exposed, just a few inches away from Sweep. You won't see them all cuddled up together at my house, but they do coexist peacefully.

Edited by ramonaghan

52596614938_aefa4e9757_o.jpg

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly
 Sweep:heart

I also agree that time cures most issues. Our cats were 7, 9 and 11 when we adopted our first greyhound. None had lived with dogs before. We, too, created a cat safe zone in our finished basement. I think it took about three months before the cats decided to come hang out with the rest of the family in our family room and bedroom.

Laura with Celeste (ICU Celeste) and Galgos Beatrix and Encarna
The Horse - Gracie (MD Grace E)
Bridge Angels Faye Oops (Santa Fe Oops), Bonny (
Bonny Drive), Darcy (D's Zipperfoot)

When we got our first dog we had older cats that had never interacted with dogs before, and it took them a while to adjust as well. The dog was *exceptionally* cat safe (she didn't even seem to see them), but it took my more easygoing cat about two months to consent to hang in the same room as the dog, and my spookier cat took about six months. The Feliway may help your cats, but so might rewarding them for being on the main floor when they do decide to come up. It sounds like you got a great dog to acclimate them to dogs, though!

I hope you are spending some time hanging with them in their chosen safe area. Maybe that could remind them that you love them too, even though you brought in the big scary animal that they are avoiding.

When we got our first dog we had older cats that had never interacted with dogs before, and it took them a while to adjust as well. The dog was *exceptionally* cat safe (she didn't even seem to see them), but it took my more easygoing cat about two months to consent to hang in the same room as the dog, and my spookier cat took about six months. The Feliway may help your cats, but so might rewarding them for being on the main floor when they do decide to come up. It sounds like you got a great dog to acclimate them to dogs, though!

I hope you are spending some time hanging with them in their chosen safe area. Maybe that could remind them that you love them too, even though you brought in the big scary animal that they are avoiding.

Oh yes. I definitely spend time with them in the basement. Although, the first week, they wouldn't let me get near them. Mina stayed in the far corner of the crawl space and Maia showed her displeasure by slicing open my finger tip when I reached to pet her.

I go down everyday to check on them and spend time brushing, trimming nails, and loving on them. Play with their toys.

Allie watches through the cat hole; which the cats don't seem to mind.

Craigie Skynyrd "Zipper" 

Allie watches through the cat hole; which the cats don't seem to mind.

That could very well be deterring them from coming up. I would redirect her to a bed further away from the door and treat her for hanging out there instead.

Also agree with rewarding the cats (with food) when they do venture out it it won't draw Allow toward them. If it does, better to just let them gain confidence as they realize there's nothing to be worried about.

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Is there any way that the grey could be kept even farther from the stairs to the basement (asks the person who has 4 babygates and one ex-pen blocking various areas depending on the need - two permanent to block litterboxes, 2 others closed at need)? If I was nervous about something scary and multiple times my size, I'd be freaking out if it watched me through my access portal! Our house is perfect for this, since our stairs lead to the kitchen (which has one of those babygates able to block dog access from the main house). But if my cats were in our basement, I'd be blocking dog access to the kitchen so if my cats wanted to investigate that area on main floor there would be more space for them to be in a dog-free zone. Then if they ventured up they could be given the treats and still be safe from hungry greyhound nosing in, and they could look in on the dog doing normal dog things.

During our 'new dog' introduction, the cats stayed on main floor and during the day the cats had the bedrooms, bathroom and hallway while at night the dog was kept in the main bedroom by babygate and I slept in the other room with them - husband stayed with the dog. Part of the need for separation was litterbox, and at least we did have two people and I could 'babysit' the cats at night.

Thanks for the suggestions. If it is ok, I will describe my setup for more targeted feedback.

My house is bi-level. When you walk in the front door, there is a good size entryway (with coat closet) with the door to the garage and stairs going down to the basement and up to the upper level. When I say basement, I actually mean lower level. It is meant to be finished living space. It is framed out for a family room, laundry/utility room, bathroom, two bedrooms, and a closet (which the crawl space is behind). The electrical is in and the plumbing for the bathroom is roughed in, but it isn't "finished". The windows are full egress.

I keep a baby gate at the top of the stairs of the upper level. The only time Allie is on the stairs or in the entryway is if we are going outside or to the garage, or if I am downstairs with the cats. She does not go down to the basement door unless I am in the basement and the door is shut. She actually waits in the entryway until I shut the door, then comes down the stairs. So the only time she is looking through the door is when I am actually interacting with the cats. Both cats have actually stuck their heads through the cat hole, forcing Allie back, and hissed in her face.

I tried to keep her gated upstairs once when I was in the basement, but it didn't go well. She freaked out and pulled the baby gate down on herself trying to climb it. She was fine, but the GSOD and loud banging stopped my heart. However, that was a few weeks ago, so she might be ok now, since she sometimes doesn't leave her bed to try to follow me right away. Maybe if I give her a special treat to chew on. Will have to try that.

When Allie is muzzled, I take the baby gate away from the cat hole and raise the baby gate at the top of the stairs to the living room about 6 inches. This creates a "buffer zone" comprised of the stairs to the basement, the entryway, and the stairs to the living room between the cat hole and the "beast infested" area. (I am pretty sure my cats think I am being held hostage by "the beast").

The cats have not been tempted by treats at all since Allie got here. Not even their favorite catnip greenies. Not even when it is just us in the basement.

Any suggestions or critiques would be welcome. If I am doing something wrong or could do something to help them, I really want to know. I am the queen of not thinking of obvious solutions until someone else suggests it.

Edited by txsbbtc

Craigie Skynyrd "Zipper" 

I think you should try leaving her with a special treat like you suggested when visiting the cats. And the Feliway as previously suggested. On both levels.

Thanks for the suggestions. I ordered a second feliway diffuser for upstairs (already had one downstairs). I did try laying a "treat trail" through the cat hole and into the buffer zone. The cats haven't touched it. Not even the treats that are completely inside the cat hole.

And I worked with Allie on alone time while I am in the basement. She started out with whining and pawing at the baby gate, but, by the end of the weekend, was laying quietly on the living room rug waiting for me to come back upstairs. Mixing in quick trips downstairs for laundry with the longer trips to visit with the cats also seemed to help.

Craigie Skynyrd "Zipper" 

Sounds like good progress. With time they should come around.

Guest xengab

Time. They have each other for company so, they might not feel the need to venture out.

I had a 16yo cat and a new grey adjust well, kitty taught the grey manners and did very well together. She passed away after 4 months of having our big boy, and we got a new kitty 4 weeks ago. This kitty is different, he is self confident and has set the rule, I can approach YOU dog. but you cannot approach me .. He has slapped (no claws) the grey a few times. One thing we taught our grey was to stand still when kitty comes over, let kitty sniff and rub your legs. We do not tell the cat off for telling the our boy to back up.

How things progress really depend on how confident and out going your cats are. My new kitty doesn't freak out by being at the vet, very laid back and super cuddler, he will approach new people in my house and demand pats.

You just need to spend time with them, show the grey is quiet and can be calm. What helped my new kitty too was training my boy. getting him to go down on his mat. So maybe do some basic on your mat try training if you see the kitties watching. This will also help keep te dogs focus on you :)

Time!

When I adopted Ming, he was 11 years old, had been a treasured only pet to a widow, and after her death was placed in a home with a yappy dog who terrorized him.

He was then sent to live with me. When he realized my dog wasn't interested in chasing or otherwise bothering him, he slowly but surely stopped running out of the room the dog was in, stopped walking in 20 foot circles around the dog, etc.

Now, a couple of years later, he will actually lay on the couch next to the dog!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

It sounds like you have been doing a great job of trying to make the household addition as easy on your cats as it can be, and now the cats get to decide in their own good time that they can handle the 'intruder'. It may take a while, but you can't really hurry a cat, just try to smooth their way to making the decision that you want them to make.

I don't know if you feed kibble or canned food, but if they usually eat kibble you might up your 'treat' game by introducing canned food as a treat, or maybe getting new and different flavored kibble as treats if they've been eating one food type. My old man (almost 19 now), really likes a bit of a food change - and his favorite kibble right now is Kitten Chow as a treat, and his canned foods alternate flavors every time (Fancy Feast tiny cans). His favorite canned flavor changes regularly, and suddenly a former fave will change to a nose-wrinkling head-turning 'that's poison!' designation and then then it falls out of rotation for a month or so. My cupboard looks like the FancyFeast section of a fairly well-stocked pet food store. (Eyeroll)

my cats love a cat tree, they have a vantage point to watch the dogs, and with 4 cats there is always somebody on the top tier of tree. Costco has affordable models, and the pats stores sell higher priced models. good luck, i hope the kitties adjust soon.

Peggy - Pete (Wild Pan Thief), Remy (Exotic Ziricote) Buddy the Golden 11-26-04 to 9-18-15, the KATZ - Ozzy, Freckles, Jake and Elwood Hubba, Desert Tortoises Tortilita, and Athena. and when I figure out how to make a PET collage they will all be included in this signature. I included my 2 most recent fosters. Marie a sweet darling of a girl. And Willie, a dog I want to keep. He is a loveable mushy boy.

c696c116-3584-4443-ba69-446cbc22cba8_zps