Bad Breath But Good Teeth--Found The Fix

Phoebe, who we've had for 2.5 years, and who just turned five, had her annual checkup a few weeks ago. The vet remarked that her teeth "looked beautiful"! She's not had a dental since she came off the track, and I don't brush her teeth. Her breath is horrendous, though, so I asked the vet about that. She said she could do a dental, but in the absence of brushing afterward it would just get bad again (and seriously, why would I want her to have a dental if she doesn't really NEED it??); or I could try this gel they've had a lot of luck with.

I opted to try the gel--$17 vs hundreds for a dental--and I've been using it on her twice a day. She loves the stuff! And now, less than a month later, her breath is noticeably better!! So I thought I'd share it with you all, who may be have a similar issue. It's called Oratene maintenance oral gel and I bought it at the vets. Might also be available online, I imagine.

So far, so good, and I am thankful to finally have a greyhound who doesn't have awful teeth! I've even started brushing her teeth, thinking that if she really has "ok" teeth, it's in my best interest to keep them that way.

Phoebe (Belle's Sweetpea) adopted 9/2/13.

Jack (BTR Captain Jack) 9/28/05--11/2/12
Always missing Buddy, Ruby, and Rascal.

We've used the Oratene water additive with good results. Available through many of the vet suppliers as well as Amazon.

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Thanks for the recommendation. My Borzoi just had 19 teeth removed, so hopefully this will help him keep the remaining ones.

Rebecca
with Atlas the borzoi, Luna the pyr, and Madison the cat, always missing Sahara(Flyin Tara Lyn) and Coltrane(Blue on By) the greyhounds

What's nice about this gel is you don't have to brush. We found that if you put it in your palm and smear it around a bit she'll lick it right off, and the vet said it'll distribute around her mouth. Easy peasy. Silly dog loves the stuff and goes into an automatic sit when I get the tube out.

Phoebe (Belle's Sweetpea) adopted 9/2/13.

Jack (BTR Captain Jack) 9/28/05--11/2/12
Always missing Buddy, Ruby, and Rascal.

Just ordered some of the maintenance gel from Amazon--thanks for the tip! Sweep gets glowing reviews on her teeth too despite irregular brushing and not having a dental since retirement, but her breath is often less than minty-fresh. I'm eager to try this.

52596614938_aefa4e9757_o.jpg

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly
 Sweep:heart