Weird, Nail Just Popped Off

this is bizarre, but what's even more bizarre is that i found the nail. felix was playing in the front yard today, a nice brisk day in the low 30s, so the ground is pretty hard. i was busy kicking the jolly ball in-between cleaning up poop. i called the dogs in so we could go thru the house to the back yard. they followed, felix with jolly ball in mouth. the next thing i know there's pools of blood in the house. dh quick grabs felix so i can inspect and his rear paw is gushing. i send dh for the muzzle and paper towels, both wet and dry. i then run down to grab the medical kit and look. he's missing his outer rear nail!!! no pain as i apply pressure to the paw. then i applied quick stop, bleeding subsided( o.k. good he doesn't have a bleeding disorder!!). i neglected to clean it well(just wiped it w/ a wet towel)since i didn't want to disturb the clot and bandaged it up.

his nail beds look fine, i do trim them every other week, trim and dremel, but those outer nails just never have any pressure(until today) on them. i don't link SLO since everything looks pretty healthy otherwise. The bottoms of his nails can get ratty looking but even at 9 he has crazy starts and stops going for his balls.

monday i'll inspect, i'll give the quick a good time to heal. what do you guys think?? quirky? bizarre? or am i missing something?? remember this is FELIX, he's always getting into something bizarre.12799443_1112197588799556_21592475583062

Quite possibly SLO: Symmetrical Lupoid Onychodystrophy. I know you don't think this is it, but see the page for things to look for. (I think accidentally ripped off nails usually are painful.)

http://www.grassmere-animal-hospital.com/SLO.htm

Edited by KF_in_Georgia

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

What's strange is he didn't flinch what so ever. No problems bandaging the paw or when I touched the toe. He has had some nasty scrapes,ripped off stop pads,scraped his pasterns raw and has always been ag restive when he's in pain. A friend just wrote and her male did the same thing,the nail never grew back. But I will keep an eye on all of his nails (I do trim them reqularly)& up the dremeling. I did read the GT post and articles earlier. But thanks

I just found one of our hounds' nails on the living room carpet. It came off during our nearly 12 y.o.girl's runner rug capture play session that included zoomies.

Two of our hounds occasionally lose nails during play times; however, they do not have SLO. They just have a lot of fun and get pulled off. They usually grow back fine, but sometimes grow more slowly than their other nails. (Fine with us!)

Hard ground could have been enough to dislodge Felix's nail. I wouldn't worry too much unless it happens more often inside the house without other reasonable cause.

Guest Loves4Greyz

I discovered that a nail was missing when I went to trim nails. I have no idea when or where it happened. It didn't bleed but the area was tender to the touch. Nail has slowly grown back and no problems with any of the other nails.

Thanks for the positive comments. I changed the bandage yesterday, it look ok,cleaned it and rebandaged it. Today he was annoyed with the bandage,so it was removed. That fast action tongue cleaned things up. He hasn't been hampered in going for daily walkie or attacking the jolly ball.