Hermaphrodite Greyhound

One of our fosters came to us in heat (or so we thought) Her vulva was engorged and there had been some blood spots. Imaging our surprise when we took her to the vet a week or so later (she was having difficulty peeing) and the vet discovered she also had a penis!

Now I believe hermaphrodites are sterile however the vet said she should have a ?spay ?neuter because she may have some "parts" that are either not supposed to be there or somehow in the wrong place(s). This may cause her trouble later in life.

Anyone ever dealt with this before?

D.

My boss' dog was (is?) a hermaphrodite. It is important to have any/all sexual organs removed. We don't just spay/neuter for population control - a lot of the reasons are health related, so it still applies to dogs that are hermaphrodites. Any combination of ovaries, uterus, or testes should be removed.

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

How long has it been since she came off the track??? It could be that she has an enlarged clitoris secondary to the hormones that are given to keep the girls from cycling while on the track. If that's the case things may return normal given a bit more time.

Many years ago my group got a litter of three hermaphrodite pups. They all had all their "parts" removed for health reasons. Two were fine, the third had some incontinence issues that were related to the surgery. I believe (I didn't hear all the details at the time and it's been over 10 years) that her insides were messed up beyond just the extra parts. However, except for the incontinence, which her adopters managed, she didn't have any other problems.

How long has it been since she came off the track??? It could be that she has an enlarged clitoris secondary to the hormones that are given to keep the girls from cycling while on the track. If that's the case things may return normal given a bit more time.

That's what I was thinking though xrays should answer that.

I hope the well-endowed howndie has a nice androgynous name.

gallery_27202_3534_9390.jpg

Momma to Jupiter.  Mummy to my Bridge Angels, Mercury and Liberty, the world's best blackngreylabhound

She came off the track beginning of January (the 5th was her last race) after an illustrious career of 13 races.

How long would it take for the hormones to leave her system???

If she is "special" we are going to have all the parts removed, as we figured it would be better for her overall and down the road health.

Here's a picture

Nola1.jpg

OMG! Ship her to meeeee! Those hermaphrodites are big medical nightmares, she'll need a vet for a mom. ;)

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

she's currently being fostered with 3 cats and 3 pugs so she is certainly cat and small dog "safe" LOL

We have a TON of people vying for her (haw can you not love that stinkin' cute face) but if (as you say krissy) she might need more medical attention down the road well that may make for a harder decision on who will adopt her... aw shucks - we'll just have to keep her ourselves ;)

So, she's essentially right off the track. If it was me I would just give it more time to seeing things return to normal. One of my own girls had the same problem and it did resolve but took a few months.

From an article written by Dr Bill Feeman

14. Female greyhounds commonly are affected by a condition known as clitoral

hypertrophy.

. Most female greyhounds receive testosterone supplementation on the track to block their heat cycle. This condition should not affect their neutering and should resolve over time once the testosterone supplementation is stopped. Some greyhounds with this condition may be misdiagnosed as being hermaphrodites.

This is an enlargement of the clitoris that is a result of testosterone

supplementation

Edited by tbhounds

OMG! Ship her to meeeee! Those hermaphrodites are big medical nightmares, she'll need a vet for a mom. ;)

:rofl

She IS adorable!! And she looks itty bitty, too! :beatheart

Phoebe (Belle's Sweetpea) adopted 9/2/13.

Jack (BTR Captain Jack) 9/28/05--11/2/12
Always missing Buddy, Ruby, and Rascal.