Bruising From Iv Needle

It's been 1.5 weeks since Ryder was in for his dental. I immediately noticed when I got him home his "arm" was rather red, and bruising was setting in. For certain he didnt have a needle properly inserted I guessed. Today, while his fur is growing back, I continue to notice bruising in the same spot, that doesn't seem to be going away quickly. I don't recall bruising from the needle ever taking this long to dissipate. While I am not overly concerned enough to bring him to the vet, just wondering anyone's past experiences?

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

Sometimes it takes a while for the blood to reabsorb. You can try using warm compresses to help it along, and arnica gel/cream if you have any.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

The needle or IV catheter can be perfect and still bruise. I just did Summit on Thursday (needed a mass removed). I placed AND removed his catheter myself, all without any glitches. His leg his bruised. Kili bruises every single time she has blood taken, no matter how clean the draw and no matter how long I leave the pressure bandage on for. We're talking about greyhounds here... they suck at clotting unfortunately.

A week and a half is a little long though. I might not expect the bruising to be entirely gone, but I'd expect improvement. Summit is about 5 days post op and he still has bruising, but it is obviously resolving.

ETA: Here's Kili's leg from awhile back

IMG_2843_1.JPG

Edited by krissy

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

I still haven't had the chance to free up space to post pics or I would have :(

It really is amazing the differences between the dogs. Kasey had a needle inserted for chemo weekly for a month and a half and encountered zero issues. This guy....a couple hours and bruising. I'd guess it looks fairly similar to the Kili pic.

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

Nothing to do with the vet screwing up. Neyla would get such bad bruising from routine blood draws that we switched to using cat needles.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."