Ok. That Was Weird. Joe Just Growled At Me.

I was on the sofa watching TV and drinking coffee. Joe was on the dog bed in front of the TV. He had a cookie but wasn't eating it. He turned toward me, made eye contact, opened his mouth, and let out a low growl -- the "Get the heck away from me kind." Then he did it again. (I didn't yell or fuss. Just asked him what was wrong.) After that, he asked to go out, came back in, ate the cookie, requested another, didn't eat it, requested pets (while on the same bed, with the new cookie), came to me on the sofa for more love, and then bounced around the living room trying to get me to walk him. He's being totally normal.

Joe doesn't have space or food issues. If I need to, I can take anything I want away from him, and he just looks for something else to be offered. He does growl if I sit on him (who wouldn't?) or if I clip his nails more than he'd like. He grumps at Brees often, but again, who wouldn't? He sleeps under the covers with me for part of every night, and we get pretty tangled up. I'm sure I've kicked him in my sleep plenty.

I don't really know what I'm asking here. Any other time he has growled at a person, there was a clear and acceptable reason. This was just weird as hell.

Maybe he needed his coffee toppped off. :coffee

What about that leg that you thought was bothering him a few weeks ago? Any sign of an issue with that since?

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Toni will growl in her sleep a lot. And with her eyes open it can be disconcerting. It's also completely NOT personal - she's just growling, for whatever reason. I would keep it in mind, but really not think too much of an isolated incident. Pain could be a factor, if you think he's having leg issues.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

He was a little gimpy after his vacation at MP's, but that's to be expected, and he was bopping around like a damn puppy just a few minutes after. I'm wondering if he saw a weird reflection in the plastic covering the very classy poster of Johnny Cash flipping the bird that hangs over the sofa. Or we have a ghost. :P Sure seemed like he was growling at me, though.

Toni will growl in her sleep a lot. And with her eyes open it can be disconcerting. It's also completely NOT personal - she's just growling, for whatever reason. I would keep it in mind, but really not think too much of an isolated incident. Pain could be a factor, if you think he's having leg issues.

He was wide awake, head was up. Joe does the sleep growling thing, too. It's adorable.

I obsess and overthink EVERYTHING with Joe. If it had been Brees, I would just write it off as insanity, but it's Joe and I'm a nutball when it comes to him.

Not really helpful, but whenever I hear something like this I remember a quote from Clifford Simak's SF novel City (Nathaniel is a dog):

"There's lots of things that dogs know that men don't know," bragged Nathaniel. "We can see things and hear things that men can't see nor hear. Sometimes we howl at night, and people cuss us out. But if they could see and hear what we do they'd be scared too stiff to move."

Rob
Logan (April 7, 2010 - July 9, 2023) - LoganMaxicon15K.jpg - Max (August 4, 2004 - January 11, 2018)

Just a guess since I wasn't seeing Joe in the moment: A couple of our hounds do that when they're feeling too full of urine or bowel. It's their way of verbally communicating discomfort just before they stand up to alert demand their need to go outside. (A couple of our hounds refuse to eat when they need to eliminate first.) Who knows why Joe didn't eat his second cookie, maybe a saver, hoarder, or simply not hungry. :)

"If you're grumpy and you know it show your teeth! If you're grumpy and you know it show your teeth! If you're grumpy and you know it and you really want to show, if you're grumpy and you know it show your teeth!"

Random, meaningless grumpy moment? One too many Kardashian stories on the news? Gas pains? Who knows, but it's not worth worrying too much about.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Sometimes when dogs aren't feeling well and don't want to eat, they'll bury or guard their food for later. Maybe his tummy is just a bit off tonight?

Also possible he heard something strange that you didn't.

I wouldn't worry unless it happens again or you see other new issues. If it continues or escalates I would do a thorough vet check. Any behavioral change in an older dog - first thought is always medical.

Edited by NeylasMom

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Guest xengab

When my boy needs to poop in the morning and its before the alarm, he sometimes growls a second before getting up. No clue if he is looking at me or not as its dark, but I always let him out when he does it. I let him, rather he was vocal in his needs as 90% of the time he is silent.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Grant

My dog growled twice....once when I gave him peanut butter the first time and the other time with a new toy. I just removed the items from him and hasn't growled since. He also destroyed his toys so I remove them when he stopped playing with them and he hasn't destroyed a toy since.

Not sure if this helps

Not really helpful, but whenever I hear something like this I remember a quote from Clifford Simak's SF novel City (Nathaniel is a dog):

"There's lots of things that dogs know that men don't know," bragged Nathaniel. "We can see things and hear things that men can't see nor hear. Sometimes we howl at night, and people cuss us out. But if they could see and hear what we do they'd be scared too stiff to move."

:nod:nod

"If you're grumpy and you know it show your teeth! If you're grumpy and you know it show your teeth! If you're grumpy and you know it and you really want to show, if you're grumpy and you know it show your teeth!"

Random, meaningless grumpy moment? One too many Kardashian stories on the news? Gas pains? Who knows, but it's not worth worrying too much about.

One Karsashian (any Kardashian) would do it to me. ggrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!

gallery_27202_3534_9390.jpg

Momma to Jupiter.  Mummy to my Bridge Angels, Mercury and Liberty, the world's best blackngreylabhound