Treats

Guest VenusWasHerName

Guest VenusWasHerName

I'm wondering what would be good treats to give Venus. Just something small for training, etc.

Also, can greyhounds eat the same things other breeds can eat such as carrots etc, or do they have special dietary restrictions?

I feel like I should know this already :huh

We give Arya Zuke's mini naturals. She loves them, they are small (perfect for training), made in the USA, and consist of natural ingredients. We get them at Petsmart when they are on sale, but you can also likely find them on Amazon. https://www.zukes.com/products/mini-naturals

As far as food goes, they can eat what other dogs eat. They are not so different from other breeds. Each individual dog will have unique preferences, but the same foods that are safe (or toxic) to other dogs will be the same for greyhounds. Just experiment to see what your dog prefers within the realm of dog-safe foods.

For training we use cheese or pieces of hot dogs.

I feed raw and they can eat the same things as other dogs.

My boys love carrots - they get them with oil to breakdown? the vitamins.

I know exactly what I want to write but I don't know the translation. Frustrating

Sorry for butchering the english language. I try to keep the mistakes to a minimum.

Nadine with Paddy (Zippy Mullane), Saoirse (Lizzie Be Nice), Abu (Cillowen Abu) and bridge angels Colin (Dessies Hero) and Andy (Riot Officer).

Guest VenusWasHerName

We give Arya Zuke's mini naturals. She loves them, they are small (perfect for training), made in the USA, and consist of natural ingredients. We get them at Petsmart when they are on sale, but you can also likely find them on Amazon. https://www.zukes.com/products/mini-naturals

As far as food goes, they can eat what other dogs eat. They are not so different from other breeds. Each individual dog will have unique preferences, but the same foods that are safe (or toxic) to other dogs will be the same for greyhounds. Just experiment to see what your dog prefers within the realm of dog-safe foods.

Oh cool and thanks for telling me where to get them! (And the link :))

For training we use cheese or pieces of hot dogs.

I feed raw and they can eat the same things as other dogs.

My boys love carrots - they get them with oil to breakdown? the vitamins.

I know exactly what I want to write but I don't know the translation. Frustrating

I understand completely, don't worry! :)

And thanks!

I second the Zuke's--they're the perfect size for training and don't get too messy if you have them in your pocket during walks.

52596614938_aefa4e9757_o.jpg

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly
 Sweep:heart

I buy most of my dog treats and biscuits in Home Goods. They have good variety of American made treats and toys at very good prices. My guys love vegetables and fruits, too. Carrots, cucumbers, apple, bananas; most things. Don't overwhelm her with things that are new to diet. Introduce all items very slowly to avoid a problem. Have fun!

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Guest VenusWasHerName

I buy most of my dog treats and biscuits in Home Goods. They have good variety of American made treats and toys at very good prices. My guys love vegetables and fruits, too. Carrots, cucumbers, apple, bananas; most things. Don't overwhelm her with things that are new to diet. Introduce all items very slowly to avoid a problem. Have fun!

Oh Home Goods...I'll have to check that out. Thanks for the advice too :)

My new favourite treat for training is orijin cat food. You can buy little small bags of the kibble or (even better) tiny little freeze dried bits. This food is nearly all meat so most dogs love it. It is also in little pieces so is great to use for training :)http://www.orijen.ca/products/cat-food/freeze-dried-cat-treats/

I also just make a lot of my own treats by chopping up chicken, steaks, etc. and freezing it in baggies.

Edited by RedHead

Guest VenusWasHerName

My new favourite treat for training is orijin cat food. You can buy little small bags of the kibble or (even better) tiny little freeze dried bits. This food is nearly all meat so most dogs love it. It is also in little pieces so is great to use for training :)http://www.orijen.ca/products/cat-food/freeze-dried-cat-treats/

I also just make a lot of my own treats by chopping up chicken, steaks, etc. and freezing it in baggies.

I thought food for cats wasn't good for dogs? Is it ok because it is mostly all meat?

HOT DOGS!!! i never gave even a morsel to my pups when they weren't in class, they will do anything for a thin slice of a hot dog. also mozzarella cheese is very easy to handle, doesn't crumble and they can nibble on even the smallest of pieces, a little goes a long way.

I like the hot dog and cheese ideas you guys have had, but it's not too much salt?

String cheese is especially handy, and just for treats or training they are fine. You can use natural versions that have less addititives but they are more expensive.

As far as food goes, see what she's eating now and get some. Keep her on that until she's settled into her new home and routine. Then, if you want to switch to something else, you can gradually change her over. You should expect some intestinal upset for the first few days anyway. Depending on where she's coming from you may need to worm her again. Adding in a probiotic will help her gut respond to all the changes going on in her life right now.

There are a ton of "which food" threads here. Go ahead and look through them for suggestions.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

I've been giving Natural Balance and Zukes, I prefer things that are American or Canadian sourced, just don't trust the Chinese stuff. That said, they do get Milkbones occasionally :rolleyes: Well, Conner does, Val doesn't like them. Also, none of my dogs have ever eaten carrots, although I know a lot of dogs do. I use cat kibble or treat for training. An all cat food diet might be too rich for dogs, but won't hurt them. An all dog food diet will, eventually, be bad for cats.

I like the hot dog and cheese ideas you guys have had, but it's not too much salt?

if you are ONLY using them for training and no other time there shouldn't be a problem. good old fashioned milk bone (large size) dog biscuits are what i give the dogs when i go out or at night for a treat. also, dehydrated sweet potato(yam) which i do myself(much cheaper). but i'm pretty stingy w/ the treats.

Cat food/treats are fine, as are cheese, hotdogs, etc. as long as they are fed as treats and in moderation. :) I do a lot of clicker training where I am constantly giving treats, so I like to buy ones that are very small. That's why I love using cat products. A little scoop goes a long way and does no harm.

Lots of excellent suggestions already. We often use mini-milkbones broken in half, or mini-marshmallows ("mooshies") for training.

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Guest VenusWasHerName

Lots of excellent suggestions already. We often use mini-milkbones broken in half, or mini-marshmallows ("mooshies") for training.

I bought some of those mini milkbones (if you mean the teeny ones? that's what we bought). I never thought of mini marshmallows!

Yes, great suggestions from everyone :D

I bought some of those mini milkbones (if you mean the teeny ones? that's what we bought). I never thought of mini marshmallows!

Yes, great suggestions from everyone :D

Yep, the teeny ones :)

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Guest Scouts_mom

Her first summer in my home, my Bree went crazy when I brought home some watermelon. They must have used it as a low-calorie treat at the track. I have since learned that she loves just about any fruit and some veggies (summer squash is not a hit). Guess who I discovered stealing strawberries off the bush last year?

Be aware that grapes and raisins are poisonous to dogs.

Also stay clear of rich/fatty foods. I gave my first greyhound some turkey skin on her first Thanksgiving. She got very sick and we almost had to visit the emergency vet.

Also I have found that sweet potato treats cause deadly greyhound gas for my gang.

Guest VenusWasHerName

Her first summer in my home, my Bree went crazy when I brought home some watermelon. They must have used it as a low-calorie treat at the track. I have since learned that she loves just about any fruit and some veggies (summer squash is not a hit). Guess who I discovered stealing strawberries off the bush last year?

Be aware that grapes and raisins are poisonous to dogs.

Also stay clear of rich/fatty foods. I gave my first greyhound some turkey skin on her first Thanksgiving. She got very sick and we almost had to visit the emergency vet.

Also I have found that sweet potato treats cause deadly greyhound gas for my gang.

Thank you! Those things are good to know. I need to print off a list of foods that are poisonous and put it on the fridge.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Wasserbuffel

I thought food for cats wasn't good for dogs? Is it ok because it is mostly all meat?

It's the other way around. Cats can't eat dog food, because it isn't fortified with taurine. Neither species will be harmed by snacking on the others' food though, just if kept on it as their main diet.