Adequan Injections

msjpk

Any info on Adequan shots would be helpful. Work, don't work? Lou is 14 and having a difficult time transitioning laying down to getting up. His walk is better then him standing still.

Also on Tramadol 50 mg. when needed, Gabapentin 100mg. 2x daily. Some say to increase the Gab. for more relief. He also has kidney disease and receiving Enanapril 2x daily.

thanks

I had wonderful results with it on one of my ponies.

Never tried it on a dog.

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

I had terrific results with Adequan for both Pal and Seamie.

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M, Ebbie, HollyBeeBop (Betty Crocker).

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Guest MnMDogs

if I remember correctly, adequan needs to be injected a few times a week at first, then it's tapers down to once every 2 or 3 weeks. But my memory is fuzzy. We used them for Mork for the last 18 months or so of his life and I think they helped, I know they didn't hurt.

But he was also on a cocktail of meds: metacam, robaxin, amantadine (as his sx progressed), gabapentin (300mg 3/day), and duralactin.

I wish I could remember what we tried first, but I think it was the adequan and maybe gabapentin. Then he broke a toe and was put on metacam with amazing results. But I imagine that's not an option with kidney disease.

First shot, results were almost immediate. Lasted about 4-6 weeks (it's been awhile, memory is sketchy)

This was our experience too. Toward the end we couldn't go that long between injections and so went every three weeks which worked well.

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M, Ebbie, HollyBeeBop (Betty Crocker).

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

For horses the protocol has changed.

You give a loading dose (7 daily shots) and no monthly shots.

Repeat loading dose in 6 months.

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

Guest peacehound

I used it for the last three years of my old greys life. She had the "loading" dose, several shots over two weeks and then tapered to once every five or six weeks. it was really worth the cost and gave her a high quality of life. She lived to be 13.5 and had several old racing injuries and arthritis. I highly recommend. Good luck

I give the injections myself. Saves a fair amount of money and I don't have to take off work! Maverick gets them about every two weeks. That cycle works best in winter and about every 3 weeks in warm weather. Glad it's helping.

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

I get my adequan from Valley Vet. Best price I have found and my vet provides the prescription. She told me about the site, actually. She would rather practice medicine than run a pharmacy, so she is always happy to write a script.

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

I also gave the injections myself. Our script came from Drs. Foster & Smith which at the time had the best price.