Shaking Hind Legs

LaFlaca

Wendy had an episode of shaking in her hind legs after playing with my son's dog last Saturday.. At first I thought it was just from the exertion. After all, the girl is 10 years old! The shaking stopped as suddenly as it had started but then started up again a while later. Wendy was obviously in pain. Luckily, we had a routine vet visit scheduled for that day. The vet took x-rays and found that the L6 vertebra was slightly out of place - lower than the rest - and there appears to be some calcification. Wendy was put on Tramadol as needed and Robaxin for 7 days. By the time we got home, she was fine so I did not give her the Tramadol but will give her the full course of Robaxin. The vet said to keep her quiet for a week or so and preferably not to let her rough-house any more. What do you all think about this shaking/pain? Muscle spasm? Pinched nerve? I really value your opinions and input. Thanks!

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Lola (AMF Won't Forget ~ 04/29/15 -07/22/19) - My girl. I'll always love you.

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".

My boys' physiotherapist recommends adding St.John's Wort to their diet, one teaspoon each day. It helps with the nerves in the spinal chord.

Sorry for butchering the english language. I try to keep the mistakes to a minimum.

Nadine with Paddy (Zippy Mullane), Saoirse (Lizzie Be Nice), Abu (Cillowen Abu) and bridge angels Colin (Dessies Hero) and Andy (Riot Officer).

LS is not a misalignment of the spine, but compression of the spinal column. Lots of dogs shake after exertion, so it may or may not have anything to do with the spine. My mixed breed dog used to shake like a leaf any time he was excited!

With due respect to Smurfette's vet, I can't imagine that st. john's wort does one little thing for compressed spinal nerves.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Could be nothing more than a little overexertion. I feel exactly the same way when I go out to garden, and my mind forgets I'm 66 not 26.

My legs shake and my hands cramp. I'm miserable for a day, and then I get over it. Getting old is not for sissies.

Blessed is the person who has earned the love of an old dog.

St. John's Wort or Hypericum eases the pain of nerve injuries. It is known to repair nerve damages and reduce inflammation.

It may not heal the compression but it helps with the pain and the shaking.

Sorry for butchering the english language. I try to keep the mistakes to a minimum.

Nadine with Paddy (Zippy Mullane), Saoirse (Lizzie Be Nice), Abu (Cillowen Abu) and bridge angels Colin (Dessies Hero) and Andy (Riot Officer).

Could be nothing more than a little overexertion. I feel exactly the same way when I go out to garden, and my mind forgets I'm 66 not 26.

My legs shake and my hands cramp. I'm miserable for a day, and then I get over it. Getting old is not for sissies.

I hear you, loud and clear! Coming up on birthday #61! I'm 25 in my own mind. :youcrazy

LS is not a misalignment of the spine, but compression of the spinal column. Lots of dogs shake after exertion, so it may or may not have anything to do with the spine. My mixed breed dog used to shake like a leaf any time he was excited!

Thank you, Susan. Misalignment was the word I was looking for. The x-rays do show misalignment of the L6 and maybe some bridging (spondylosis) just starting. Whether or not these caused her discomfort and shaking is uncertain. Thank God, she's been right as rain since then.

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Lola (AMF Won't Forget ~ 04/29/15 -07/22/19) - My girl. I'll always love you.

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".