Licking Lips And Swallowing Hard

Grace has had 3 episodes of excessively licking her lips and swallowing hard. She then wants to go outside and eat grass or leaves or anything that looks interesting. Typical upset stomach. Took her to Vet yesterday and he put her on Reglan once in the evening. I also think she has post nasal drip. Could the post nasal drip cause the same symptoms? I gave her Benadryl and it seemed to help tremendously. Any other suggestions??

Mine have a drippy noise when excited or stressed. Nausea is one kind of stress that can trigger it. Meaning the drippy noise is just a side effect of the discomfort. Did the vet do a recall exam, also? GI parasites can cause incidents such as you describe.

Given that her stomach was upset, I'd say it was nausea. It's also one of the signs that a vomiting episode may be imminent.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Just to make sure I was clear... Yes, it definitely sounds like nausea & in my experience GI parasites can be a cause that is sometimes tested for too late in the diagnostic process.

Benadryl is mmporarily sedating and that sometimes can temporarily reduces stress related symptoms. Just offering an idea.

I have had two girls do just what you described. To be honest I'm not sure it's nausea. My solution--let them go outside and eat grass. After they vomit the grass up the problem is solved. If it was nausea I'm not sure vomiting once would correct the problem so I'm still at a loss to what starts all of this but, grass seems to be the answer.

Gilly does it too every now and then. He never throws up afterwards but sometimes the incessant lip licking and swallowing will last a half hour. Vet said he thought it must be an upset stomach so I give him a Pepcid before meals for a few days and he seems fine. It seems to occur mostly in the early morning before his breakfast. It is a puzzle though.

Edited by racindog

Kasey did this. It was acid reflux, and required daily maintenance with Pepcid. Never happened again after that.

Try to record the episode and show your vet to help with diagnosis.

Edited by XTRAWLD

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015