Peanut Butter

rsieg

Two questions:

(1) Does anyone else's dog REALLY like peanut butter? Max is nuts about it (pun intended :-) to the point where he will actually come over and stare at me when I am eating a PB&J sandwich. I think he might actually like it more than meat. Logan will eat it, but more like eh, its ok.

(2) Any downside to it? I am giving him maybe a spoonful in the evening, but it is getting to the point that he insists on it every evening. I do go with the au natural version, with the oil on top. Too much? (I do know not to give him grape jelly).

Rob
Logan (April 7, 2010 - July 9, 2023) - LoganMaxicon15K.jpg - Max (August 4, 2004 - January 11, 2018)

As long as there's no xylotol or other fake sugar, it's OK for a healthy dog to have some. You don't want to overdo it because of the added fats. Lots of dogs get peanut butter-filled Kongs every day with no issues. One of mine does love her peanut butter much more than meat! The only thing she likes better than peanut butter is cheese!

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Our galgo pup gets a PB kong every day. One caution: When our tripod Jamey was recovering from his amputation we gave him some Life Saving meatballs for some weight gain, they contain PB. With the first batch he peed so often until I figured out the PB had salt in it. I switched to non salt PB and the problem was solved.

Tin and Michael and Lucas, Picasso, Hero, Oasis, Galina, Neizan, Enzo, Salvo and Noor the Galgos.
Remembering Bridge Angel Greyhounds: Tosca, Jamey, Master, Diego, and Ambi; plus Angel Galgos Jules, Marco and Baltasar.

BeBe, my greyt friend, is absolutely crazy about Peanut Butter. Every evening she gets a Kong with Jiff Creamy PB in it as her treat. She starts reminding us about 7PM by staring and yipping at us as we watch Jeopardy.

She never tires of this routine and it seems to agree with her. No digestive problems!

Baby used to notice when I forgot to put the peanut butter jar away, and she'd grab it off the counter, unscrew the lid, and eat all the peanut butter she could reach. Before she passed away last October, she taught Riley the trick (who demonstrated it a few weeks ago). I use whatever's cheap, although I do try to avoid PBs that have a lot of sugar (or other fats) in them.

When I run out of other prepared options (like frozen Kongs), I'll give the pups a 'to go' cup as their treat when I leave for work. That's as much peanut butter that I'm willing to give a hound, since I don't want a case of pancreatitis on my hands. (1 ToGo cup is probably the amount of peanut butter that I use in 3 Kongs).

This past 3 weeks, Riley would only eat peanut butter, Ensure, and ice cream ... his pancreas levels were slightly elevated from the disproportionately high fat content in his diet, but not enough to cause the vet any concern. Hope that gives you enough info to make decisions!

Poppy dislikes peanut butter,Shrug.gif

she'd prefer a frozen carrot.

This is so cute. I thought every dog loved PB. My girl won't go near veggies.

Annie LOVES PB. She gets about a tablespoon each morning into which I squish a pill she takes every day. She'd take the pill even if it were just dipped in PB, that's how much she loves the stuff. I use the PB I buy for myself and over the course of the jar, she eats more than I do.

Peanut butter is one of Brady's favorite things. I give him bites when ever I have PBJ. I watch how much I give him cause sometimes he gets leave the room gas. About twice a year I give him an empty jar to lick the sides, he loves it.

groupwindia-greytalk2.jpg

The handsome boy Brady, mid-morning nap. The sun, the sun feels so, so, so good.

I can't keep my eyes open ... ... Retirement agrees ...

... and the Diva Ms India, 2001 - 10/16/2009 ....

Lila will eat peanut butter, but I think she does not like the feeling of it on her tongue. After she eats some she will lick her leg or blanket or bed - I assume to clean her tongue. :P

Lila Football
Jerilyn, missing Lila (Good Looking), new Mistress to Wiki (PJ Wicked).

Baby used to notice when I forgot to put the peanut butter jar away, and she'd grab it off the counter, unscrew the lid, and eat all the peanut butter she could reach. Before she passed away last October, she taught Riley the trick (who demonstrated it a few weeks ago). I use whatever's cheap, although I do try to avoid PBs that have a lot of sugar (or other fats) in them.

I thought Monty was the only one stupid (and gluttonous) enough to eat an entire jar of peanut butter! I'm a lot more careful now, because although Monty looked like he wanted to die after eating about 2 cups of peanut butter, I know he would do it again in a moment.

He had no ill effects, other than looking like he felt miserable and not being hungry for dinner that night. I expected noxious gas emissions and horrible poop, but everything was fine. (The poop *did* smell like peanut butter, though. Kind of killed my appetite for it for a while...which was fine since we had none!)

FYI, I'm guessing the actual grape content of grape jelly is about zero, so I wouldn't worry much about that.

My mixed breed dog had peanut butter every day for 12 years. George had peanut butter every day for about 7 years until I decided maybe the sugar was contributing to his pee problem. My Buck doesn't have SA, so he doesn't need a daily Kong, but he does love to lick the jar when I have one. He adores almond butter too!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Loves4Greyz

try smearing some on the roof of your pups mouth......sit back and enjoy!

This sounds like better entertainment than what is on TV most evenings!!!

Guest KarenD

Ours LOVE it. We limit treats though. Works greyt with meds. Real fun is saving the "almost gone" containers in the freezer, then come summer, we throw it out in the backyard and watch the fun!!!

Keeps them occupied for a long time. They clean that jar better than a Rubbermaid scraper.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest neosmndrew

the only way i can get my boy bond to not whine and cry when i leave for work is to give him a peanut butter filled kong. he barely even notices me leaving when i give it to him.

• 1 month later...
Guest Noosh

Loving the tips on PB!

Our 19 month old Emma has been with us for 6 weeks now.

Have only used it so far with Kong treats. It's taken a few weeks for Emma to get a 'taste' for it, but she is really happy for a long session on her outside bed with a PB Kong. It allows me time to slip out of the house without the theatrics...