Open Stairs

Guest Nataraj108

Guest Nataraj108

Hi Everyone,

Before I move forward with adoption, I am waiting until I have moved and get settled in a new place. One of the places I am strongly considering has an open staircase (without the backs). While I love the look of it, I didn't know if it would be more challenging for a dog that likely already has to learn how to navigate stairs. Anyone out there have an open staircase?

Thanks!

Are they outside or inside your house?? Outside ones might be a problem. Inside ones you can tape or staple something to cover the backs to make them more acceptable. Which would, of course, totally negate the fun of having open stairs! :P FWIW, if you get a dog that you'll need to teach stairs it might be easier to get them used to open stairs than a dog who already knows how (to do closed ones).

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Guest Nataraj108

They are both outside and in. Luckily, from the outside there are other options. If I end up there, which is likely, taping something to the backs is a good option if an issue arrises. I wouldn't want to leave it there, but knowing it is a backup plan would make me more comfortable. Yes, the house hunting decisions seem to all be made with the future dog needs in the back of my mind.

I have had an open indoor staircase ...one of my dogs was hesitant. To get him up the stairs the first time...I was at the top of the stairs and he was focused on me, not the weird stairs.

While I love the look of it, I didn't know if it would be more challenging for a dog that likely already has to learn how to navigate stairs.

Welcome to GreyTalk! :)

This is an excellent question.

Many Greyhounds are uncomfortable walking on open riser stairs; however, it's not so much whether they can learn to navigate the stairs, but more important is Greyhounds' safety.

Interestingly, open riser stairs are a deal breaker for some adoption groups due to the additional danger of Greyhounds' long legs slipping through the openings. There have been horrific injuries caused by open riser stairs, some injuries leading to hounds being euthanized.

After Greyhounds learn and become comfortable navigating stairs, they love to run fast up/down stairs. Also, they often try to skip several stairs at once, further increasing risks of their long legs slipping in between those openings.

Adopters have had risers built to enclose open riser stairs as a condition for their adoption.

Many Greyhounds manage walking slowly on deep, wide, open riser stairs (e.g., outside of public buildings) while safely leashed with their human's guidance.

Good luck with all your exciting life changes! :)

Edited by 3greytjoys

Guest normaandburrell

We have open stairs, and they are much harder for greyhounds to navigate. We have been asked to foster just to teach stairs. We finally just put in an elevator, to avoid the worry of what happens as our dogs age, or if they get an injury and cannot do stairs, what will we do?

If you really want a grey and you have other choices, I would avoid an apartment with open stairs.

Any open staircase was a problem for my Kasey. He was a "bounder" and would jump up a flight of stairs in 3 jumps. Because there were no backs he refused, and I'm happy with that, likely because his legs would go through if he slid and they would break. We therefore had to avoid hiking in areas with open stairs (like access to a bridge) or he was carried up them.

What would be more concerning with an open staircase is if the stairs are carpeted or not (ie wood -therefore easier to slip).

Ryder very diligently walks up the stairs one at a time and it is a non issue.

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

Guest Nataraj108

Thank you all for your thoughtful responses. The safety issue is clearly a much bigger issue regardless of trainability. I don't want to take any chances with that. For a condo complex, this place has great outdoor space and long walking trails right off of the property which would be such a positive. If I move forward with it, I will be sure to see if risers can be added to the stairs.

Thanks again, your experience is much appreciated.

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

I have open risers on stairs outside. The hounds have to use the stairs every day multiple times to eliminate. Havent had any issues. Of course it is a pain in the butt to teach them the open stairs since they really dont like the look of them, but once they are taught how to navigate them, things are fine. This is with 5 of my own hounds and over 30 fosters (all of whom were broken leg hounds in rehab). So i wouldnt worry a bit about open stairs. There are horror stories of hounds breaking legs in stairs, getting their collars caught and strangled, attacked by offleash dogs, etc. You name it, you'll find it here. Open faced stairs are no problem. I am actually very surprised to hear that a group restricts adoption to a house that has them, that group must have had one hurt so the knee-jerk reaction is to restrict all future adoptions.

Guest Nataraj108

I have open risers on stairs outside. The hounds have to use the stairs every day multiple times to eliminate. Havent had any issues. Of course it is a pain in the butt to teach them the open stairs since they really dont like the look of them, but once they are taught how to navigate them, things are fine. This is with 5 of my own hounds and over 30 fosters (all of whom were broken leg hounds in rehab). So i wouldnt worry a bit about open stairs. There are horror stories of hounds breaking legs in stairs, getting their collars caught and strangled, attacked by offleash dogs, etc. You name it, you'll find it here. Open faced stairs are no problem. I am actually very surprised to hear that a group restricts adoption to a house that has them, that group must have had one hurt so the knee-jerk reaction is to restrict all future adoptions.

That is also great to know. These are inside stairs, so they would also be used multiple times a day. My inclination would be to try to install risers, but if that is not possible, I am happy to know you have found success with a large number of fosters. Thank you. I will touch base with the local adoption agencies as well.

When I first adopted Luna, I was living in a fourth floor apartment. Our only access to the fourth floor was outdoor, concrete, open-backed stairs. Since they were outdoor, so was on a leash, so I just walked her on a close leash so that she would take the stairs slowly, both up and down. She was apprehensive at first, but within a couple of days, it became second nature, and all was well.

Best of luck to you as you move forward with the adoption!

Laura, mom to Luna (Boc's Duchess) and Nova (Atascocita Venus).
Forever in my heart, Phantom (Tequila Nights) and Zippy (Iruska Monte).