Non-Anesthesia Dental Cleanings

I know they tend not to be popular with vets, but would love to hear feedback either way from people who have had them done. I'm considering trying them for Zuri and Violet, Zuri in the hopes of spacing out his exposure to anesthesia a bit and maybe doing full dentals every other year instead of yearly, Violet to put off anesthesia as long as possible because of her risk of rhabdo and other unexplained issues.

My main concern is the handling. I've seen a few comments from people who have done them that worry me. I'm not down with someone wrestling my dog until they give in, especially with Violet since her whole issue is stress related. Both of my dogs are cooperative and used to having their mouths handled so my hope would be that with a lot of exercise before, some natural calming aids and just a little patience we could get them relaxed enough to tolerate it. Thoughts on that or the actual medical pros and cons?

FYI, this would be with the people who come to GIG. They claim to be able to do under the gumline cleaning as well.

Edited by NeylasMom

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

I do my dogs' dentals mostly that way and only take them to the vets when I think it necessary. Andy had one vet dental in his now 10 years.

I use fortuna, a homoeopathic liquid to soften the plaque. It gets soft enough to use a fingernail to loosen it. And I use effective microorganisms against the bacterias in their fangs.

We start with me just looking at their teeth, touching them, then the tasty microorganisms smeared on the gums. They get used to it and I stop when my dogs start to feel uncomfortable and come back the next day.

Edited by smurfette

Sorry for butchering the english language. I try to keep the mistakes to a minimum.

Nadine with Paddy (Zippy Mullane), Saoirse (Lizzie Be Nice), Abu (Cillowen Abu) and bridge angels Colin (Dessies Hero) and Andy (Riot Officer).

I completely understand all your your concerns.

If you decide to try it, I recommend finding a veterinarian to perform the non-anesthesia cleanings. Some vets will make exceptions for certain medical reasons or far advanced aged hounds. Vets have much more dental and dog handling experience with instant access to stronger medications if needed. Also, dislodging dental tartar causes a massive bacteria party in the dog's mouth and body, so the vet could prescribe antibiotics to reduce risk of infection.

That type of non-anesthesia cleaning is considered cosmetic because they really can't work as deeply under the gums. A major problem is they can't probe without anesthesia, so if there is underlying dental disease, the hounds come home looking pretty for several weeks, but they would have to endure another full year of worsening deep tissue disease or root disease; internal organs could become more affected/diseased; it would not be any easier to chew or eat meals; then hounds would be yet another year older and may have developed unrelated medical conditions that put them at greater risk for surgery.

If your hounds are awake and being manhandled by non-veterinary professionally trained people, hounds may not be returned to you as wonderfully willing to have their teeth brushed or their mouths/bodies handled.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Side note to other readers: Daily tooth brushing with a pet-safe toothpaste is important for Greyhounds of all ages. Dental health becomes even more important as hounds advance towards their double-digit years. Dental heath becomes a huge factor when hounds advance into their teens since good dental health can prolong Greyhounds' lifespan, and helps prevent kidney disease and other organ disease.

Edited by 3greytjoys

I had it done with Xavi last year at GIG. They were very gentle. Having said that, I took him to the vet last week and he still needs a dental, so it really didn't make any difference.

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

I've used them for years. I like them. they're gentle. And they get the teeth as clean as possible without the anesthesia. Tanzi's teeth are slowly getting worse, but having Houndstooth do her teeth every 6 months is helping me keep ahead of it. And yes, I brush her teeth DAILY. I had a regular, under anesthesia, at a vets office dental done on her a year ago. It didn't last any longer than the non-anesthetic dental. She needed to be done in Oct and she still needs to be done again this April.

Our vet and tech do just what they do under anesthesia with the exception of the inner (lingual) surface, can't get to that much. They do get under the gumline. They do examine so as to determine whether dog needs dental with anaesthesia instead. There is no manhandling. If dog won't stand quietly without fighting, we do anaesthesia.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

My experience reflects Batmom's. The girl who did my dog's teeth (admittedly not a greyhound) did her training in Colorado and a lot of emphasis was placed on handling and evaluation. She first scaled and assessed, if she felt she could not get all the plaque from below the gum line or that there was any instability of the teeth, that was as far as she went and there was no charge. She cleaned my girl's teeth beautifully inside and out including her slab fracture. Admittedly my girl is pretty good about being handled but she wouldn't have kept as still for as long with me.

My experience reflects Batmom's. The girl who did my dog's teeth (admittedly not a greyhound) did her training in Colorado and a lot of emphasis was placed on handling and evaluation. She first scaled and assessed, if she felt she could not get all the plaque from below the gum line or that there was any instability of the teeth, that was as far as she went and there was no charge. She cleaned my girl's teeth beautifully inside and out including her slab fracture. Admittedly my girl is pretty good about being handled but she wouldn't have kept as still for as long with me.

You just cemented my feeling about these so called cleanings --" cleaned the slab fracture". What?? Should have been x-rayed and most likely extracted not made a pretty clean crown. So now your dog has a pretty white fractured tooth in the mouth.

These folks doing these procedures are practicing veterinary medicine without a license and it should be banned.

Edited by tbhounds

We are hesitant to have our 10 year old Mimi put under unless absolutely necessary We have used a service that does it without anesthesia. They do recognize problems and have sent us to the vet for service before.

We are going back to the vet and ask them not to put her under for cleaning. We do want the best for our Mimi but at her age we don't want to have her with any unnecessary procedures...

We are hesitant to have our 10 year old Mimi put under unless absolutely necessary We have used a service that does it without anesthesia. They do recognize problems and have sent us to the vet for service before.

We are going back to the vet and ask them not to put her under for cleaning. We do want the best for our Mimi but at her age we don't want to have her with any unnecessary procedures...

Because she's 10 or because she has a medical condition?

You just cemented my feeling about these so called cleanings --" cleaned the slab fracture". What?? Should have been x-rayed and most likely extracted not made a pretty clean crown. So now your dog has a pretty white fractured tooth in the mouth.

These folks doing these procedures are practicing veterinary medicine without a license and it should be banned.

Trust me, it was one of the first things the tech doing the cleaning questioned. My dog has had the slab fracture for years and my veterinarian - from the time it happened - recommended leaving it alone but watching it. Treatment should depend on the severity of the fracture.

my new vet does it with out anesthesia if it's possible. annie was most cooperative, so she scaled, did the ultra sonic cleaning as well and then polished. some stains were left but annie stood there for over 30 min. with out flinching. annie has one teeny tiny molar in the back that's not looking good. she is the second vet who said, leave it alone. if you are going to be in the westchester county area of ny- she's in white plains, just 30 min. north of the city. she also has quite a few greyhounds in her practice now, trained at cornell and relates to the dogs really well.

When I went in for Ry's consult earlier this month, the vet actually said because his teeth are in such good shape with the exception of the molars, because he is so well behaved, I could likely scrape myself. Now of course I know the damage that can be done if I don't know what I'm doing, and I don't, but to hear a vet say that generally, you can go ahead and clean your dogs teeth with a scraper if you are able, was a big wow for me. After this dental, even though it went well, it's prolly his last one. I will be as diligent as I can with brushing now more than ever. I even bought a scraper, but I want to get some pointers before I try to use it. And if I should maybe get other things too, and I could just do it all myself!

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

Because she is 10 mostly.

Age is not a disease. The health of a pet should be assessed as an individual not on how old they are. I have seen healthier 10 yr olds than some youngsters. Of course you take precautions-complete exam, bloodwork, consider a pre-op EKG and chest rad prior to the procedure. They longer you wait the more advanced the dental disease becomes making a more lengthy procedure.

Guest Bean_Scotch

I've done this on my dogs, as part of a regular dental program....and it helps immensely. They still get their teeth done under anesthetic when necessary, however these have extended the time between cleanings. I don't think it's right/needed for every dog, but I do think it can help as part of an overall dental program.

I've done this on my dogs, as part of a regular dental program....and it helps immensely. They still get their teeth done under anesthetic when necessary, however these have extended the time between cleanings. I don't think it's right/needed for every dog, but I do think it can help as part of an overall dental program.

This is essentially what I was hoping for. I'm going to talk to my vet about it and see about scheduling one for Zuri to check it out if they'll agree to work with us on handling issues.

Thanks everyone for the feedback thus far.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

While at a Kanab Greyhound Gathering (2008 I think), I took Boo Zsee & Zeeba in for this. Boo Zsee did well but Zeeba did the GSOD so I didn't have hers done. The next time was under anesthesia in 2013 and for Boo Zsee has been yearly since then. I really need to do better at brushing their teeth...

gallery_15555_2884_10764.jpg
Adrienne - with the kitties Tippy & Tyler Too

Missing my bridge angels Boo Zsee, Java Bean (Nitro Kristen), Zeeba and Baer the not-so-miniature schnauzer