Life With A Podenco Versus Greyhound

Teensy

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

She's so stunning. I want her. ;)

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Wow, look at her colours! She is stunning.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Guest LazyBlaze

Dogless is no way to go through life, amirite?

Amen to that sister!

She's so stunning. I want her. ;)

Get in the queue!! :bgeorge

She is absolutely gorgeous. And she is so climbing that tree... Just figurin' it out.

Her feet were on the ground, but I can tell she is trying to work it out. There are a couple of other trees that present a potential escape route and will have to be dealt with if she does. She's still pretty new, but she seems pretty high prey drive. This is a new one on me. Never had a dog who was both not super food motivated and high prey drive. I might have to put a field leash on her in the backyard.

3964308598_c55bc0aa88_o.jpg

• 2 years later...

Hoping someone on this forum can help. We have a very large yard, very large, that has an invisible dog fence around the perimeter. We’re considering adopting a Podenco (a new puppy versus an adult dog), but I can’t find anywhere that states if an invisible fence is suitable for this breed. Can you help in answering that question?

Livingat45north, I know of no Podenco adoption groups in the US that would allow you to use an electric fence. I have a Podenco Maneta so no worries about her jumping a fence. But for a little dog she is very very fast and greatly attracted to things in the distance. Same as a greyhound, they will run through an electric fence to chase something but then will fear coming back through it. An electric fence also leaves your dog with no protect from strays who may attack it.

You will find the use of electric fences to be a very hot topic on Greytalk.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

We have used invisible fencing for a GSDX, PointerX and a Dobie and it worked very well.

We used it only if we were outside with them and to give them a bit more space than our 'regular' chain-link dog yard.

I would never, ever use that type of fencing with the Greyhounds or any other sighthound. These breeds can see things so far away, then react without thinking and take off running so very very quickly.

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

This video is from page 1 of this thread. I cannot believe nor would I ever trust that an invisible fence would contain a hound with that kind of energy.

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Hoping someone on this forum can help. We have a very large yard, very large, that has an invisible dog fence around the perimeter. We’re considering adopting a Podenco (a new puppy versus an adult dog), but I can’t find anywhere that states if an invisible fence is suitable for this breed. Can you help in answering that question?

There are no podenco adoption groups or breeders that will place a dog with an electric fence. Their prey drives are significantly more intense than most dogs and they'd ignore a shock in pursuit. They'd probably also never cross back over the barrier to re-enter the yard. Also, invisible fences offer no protection for your dog and allows people, other dogs, and prey animals to enter the yard so they're really just not a good solution for safety. I have 5 Podenco Ibicenco (Ibizan Hounds) and they would keep hunting through any injury or shock. When they are focused nothing stops them.

Edited by GreytHoundPoet