Life With A Podenco Versus Greyhound

Teensy

GreyhoundPoet, what about sociability? You mentioned they are cuddly with you,but are they particularly social, even with strangers? As in, will seek out attention relatively immediately, or is it more on their own terms or when there's nothing better to do?

While we wait for GreyhoundPoet to answer, I'll say that the poddies I've met have seemed a little standoffish with me, just like many greyhounds, but didn't mind when I respectfully approached them and petted them. The whole time I was chatting with Terrianne at the event, I was petting one of her pods who was laying on the floor. He actually seemed to welcome my attention more than Lucas and her other grey, who let me pet them for a couple seconds and then moved away.

Sharon, Loki, Freyja, Capri (bridge angel and most beloved heart dog), Ajax (bridge angel) and Sweetie Pie (cat)

Visit Hound-Safe.com by Something Special Pet Supplies for muzzles and other dog safety products

:gh_bow

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It depends on the dog. Once again, I can only speak for Podenco Ibicenco, but it is not unusual to meet one and be greeted in an accepting manner with some interest. Most are polite and friendly, though not pushy or crazy jumping all over you. I have not known many that are aloof or unfriendly, though some exist. I have had Ibizans I just met that day on my lap while we sit ringside at a show or at a performance trial as well. It depends a lot on genetic temperament, socialization, and personality. I have both types here. Nova is rather shy and will accept strangers petting him but can do without it. Finnegan will launch himself into a stranger's arms if they baby talk at him or lean toward him. He greets new people enthusiastically. They have the same dam and different sires. I raised Finn and I got Nova at 2. The first one that I ever met was a Spanish rescue and he walked up to me in a curious fashion and greeted me. I blame him for my life now. :rofl

They are classified as a primitive hunting breed, not a sighthound, in their country of origin (Spain) and a lot of them tend to be "doggier" than the typical sighthound. ;) A friend of mine joke that they could be the sighthound breed for the non-sighthound dog person. :lol:

I forgot to mention, if your yard is small but big enough space for a lure pole, that is great way to tire them out. I spent an hour outside this morning with a lure pole and my Ibizans and now they are napping happily in a pile on the couch.

• 4 weeks later...
:clap She's gorgeous!

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Aw, she's cute. I was just going to post that the rescue had two borzoi, but it looks like you've found your dog! Are you fostering or did you adopt her?

Rebecca
with Atlas the borzoi, Luna the pyr, and Madison the cat, always missing Sahara(Flyin Tara Lyn) and Coltrane(Blue on By) the greyhounds

She is gorgeous! Welcome home Hazel. Can't wait to hear about all your adventures!

groupwindia-greytalk2.jpg

The handsome boy Brady, mid-morning nap. The sun, the sun feels so, so, so good.

I can't keep my eyes open ... ... Retirement agrees ...

... and the Diva Ms India, 2001 - 10/16/2009 ....

Oh my she is pretty. Congrats, we need lots of pics!

Edited by Charlies_Dad

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Adopted for real. She tried to sit on my husband's lap on first meeting, but couldn't quite figure it out. That sealed the deal. She's really a love.

Congratulations, Tina! Very happy for you guys :)

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

One very interesting difference is that all podis I know love, love, love to dig holes.... I guess they come from a long line of mining dogs....seven dwarves style. ;-)

Sorry for butchering the english language. I try to keep the mistakes to a minimum.

Nadine with Paddy (Zippy Mullane), Saoirse (Lizzie Be Nice), Abu (Cillowen Abu) and bridge angels Colin (Dessies Hero) and Andy (Riot Officer).

Thanks guys. She just roached for the first time for about 3 seconds. I was very close to getting a picture, but was just a little too slow. She is only just starting to come out of her shell. She's a bit underweight, and had been doing that not eating, but trying to hide the bowl under a blanket, thing. We finally figured out that she does not like poultry at all. Also really doesn't like canned food. Loves: all things beef and raw, but will also acquiesce to Orijen Regional Red. She's been eating really well since we we switched.

She definitely has higher prey drive and is more agile than Irene was. She is pretty much constantly hunting. And the way she leaps and stretches out her body, like that picture above, is really impressive. I would never leave this dog out in the backyard alone, 6-foot fence and all. I have a whole new routine around the morning outing. Make coffee first. Drink coffee while putzing around the backyard. I have a feeling my yard is going to be looking pretty great this year, since I need something to do while she looks for squirrels. Irene was pretty much all business in the morning.

This morning I was picking up debris and she surprised me by charging up to me, skidding to a play bow and taking off again. I thought it was cool, because she mostly doesn't notice me at all when we're outside, unless I am a within a foot of her nose with a piece of cheese. :)

I'll post more pictures as we go. She is settling in nicely and doing very well, I think, and definitely has brought some cheer to this house after losing Irene. Dogless is no way to go through life, amirite?

3964308598_c55bc0aa88_o.jpg

She already loves you :) She seems very sweet.

Edited by robinw

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

More photos please!

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."