Dental On Friday

XTRAWLD

As always need good thoughts as the day approaches.

Ryder had a dental this time last year, where it was decided to leave the big toofer (I believe it's the first molar) on the bottom to see if I could keep it clean and safe. Well it's still nasty no matter how hard I've been trying to keep it clean. There is a pocket where two of the teeth (molar and 4th I guess) "meet" and the situation is the same on either side of his mouth.

• Best case, they just clean them up, and we're good to go.
  • Or they take out the "littler" tooth (#4) that is against the bigger tooth and stitch up the "hole" to be tighter to the tooth to prevent it from getting more dirty or infected.
  • Or they can remove the big tooth and/or #4 on one side
  • Or worst case, they remove 2 or all 4 :(

Of course they will x-ray and at that time will decide if there is any sort of abcess at the root that determines if the teeth have to be pulled. The vet admitted he really really doesn't want to pull the big teeth, so they will do everything they can to get them all cleaned up and in good shape. What's unfortunate is that the rest of his teeth are in pretty immaculate condition, hardly any tartar (so I must be doing something a little right) but they are in such great shape they will do just a light cleaning throughout. A dental really isn't needed with the exception of what could be lying beneath the gumline on those big toofers.

I did ask for Amicar in case he does get them pulled. I also suggested Arestin (as per RedHead who's vet used it for Teague). They will look into these antibiotic beads to see if it would be beneficial for Ryder. Who knows, they may save him a lot of pain, and me a lot of money!!!

I also spoke to him about Ryder's limp and that it is time to get him on some meds to manage pain. We did some trotting in the parking lot and it was noticeable (like he had a rock in his shoe). I just wish I had time to take him to chiro regularly to get him fixed up but I can't. On that note, we are going to get x-rays done to put out any doubt of bone issues (every x-ray he's ever had has been negative) and once he's clear gonna get him on something. I'm sure he'll recommend Metacam or something - but I wanted to inquire here if that is the best suggestion? He has very sore muscles that get tight and knotted. Is Metacam really the best for something like that? I'm sure he's also developing some kind of mild arthritis but I'm not sure I want to start using the heavy hitting meds first. Thoughts on pain relievers (likely for the rest of his life)?

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

Here in the US the price of Amicar jumped up to $650 for a 5 day course of treatment. This happened the day before Percy had his dental. Prices remain high. See if your vet has a supply on hand at the original price.

After consulting with Dr Couto we use Tranexamic Acid now. Costs about $35 with a GoodRx coupon.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Here in the US the price of Amicar jumped up to $650 for a 5 day course of treatment. This happened the day before Percy had his dental. Prices remain high. See if your vet has a supply on hand at the original price.

After consulting with Dr Couto we use Tranexamic Acid now. Costs about $35 with a GoodRx coupon.

I have read that, and she actually told me on the phone that they will be using a substitute but I didn't catch the name - so I'm sure that's why!

Proudly owned by:

Desi came to me at 7....our first walk together I could tell he hurt somewhere. xrays from stem to stern, nothing remarkable, probably tendonitis doc says.

So we put him on carprofen twice a day. That held him til he was 10. More xrays, nothing remarkable except some stenosis in lower spine. Added Gabapentin.

He's now 13.4 & still gimpy, but holding. We add some Tramadol here & there on his worst days. We're lucky. Although he's been on pain meds for years, his

blookwork has always been good.

Best wishes Ryder's dental goes well.

Blessed is the person who has earned the love of an old dog.

Good thoughts for Ryder on Friday, think of us on Tuesday please, Henry and Leo both go in. Are circumstances are similar, both boys really only need a light cleaning except for the back teeth, which really do need to be cleaned deeply. Leo has picked up a limp that Meloxicam is treating but not resolving. I don't remember how old Ryder is, but our vet suggested taking Leo to a vet that specializes in physical therapy, among other options. He's a bit young for daily Meloxicam if we can avoid it, and she thinks that if physical therapy works we can learn exercises to do with him at home daily--is that a possibility for you? She also suggested a consult with an orthopedic surgeon as an alternative, but I'd prefer to start with some less invasive remedies. She also suggested we ask about cold laser therapy--I don't know enough about it yet to know how frequently that needs to be done.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

Ry turned 8 in October, but he's been limping on and off since I got him at the age of 2.5.

I had Kasey on Gabapentin for LS, but I don't think Ryder is there yet and thankfully!

I will remark to the vet Desi' suggestions and see how we make out when I pick him up. I'm not familiar with carprofen.

Proudly owned by:

Tomorrow. 8am. He's getting loved up lots tonight.

I remember i need to grab a urine sample in the morning and I have a cup. Any tricks? I think this might be the first time I've brought that in!

Proudly owned by:

Doggie done dental. They said he did amazing and was awake and everything went smoothly. I heard him whining and carrying on in the background of our conversation LOL

Very little bone loss in the jaw, no issues with the teeth, maybe a very minor bone loss around one of the roots of the molars, but nothing to be concerned about.

With regard to the x-rays on his shoulder - I shall start another thread!

But my boy is all good and I'm picking him up in 2 hours :D

Proudly owned by: