XTRAWLD Posted February 16, 2016 Share Posted February 16, 2016 As always need good thoughts as the day approaches. Ryder had a dental this time last year, where it was decided to leave the big toofer (I believe it's the first molar) on the bottom to see if I could keep it clean and safe. Well it's still nasty no matter how hard I've been trying to keep it clean. There is a pocket where two of the teeth (molar and 4th I guess) "meet" and the situation is the same on either side of his mouth. Best case, they just clean them up, and we're good to go. Or they take out the "littler" tooth (#4) that is against the bigger tooth and stitch up the "hole" to be tighter to the tooth to prevent it from getting more dirty or infected. Or they can remove the big tooth and/or #4 on one side Or worst case, they remove 2 or all 4 Of course they will x-ray and at that time will decide if there is any sort of abcess at the root that determines if the teeth have to be pulled. The vet admitted he really really doesn't want to pull the big teeth, so they will do everything they can to get them all cleaned up and in good shape. What's unfortunate is that the rest of his teeth are in pretty immaculate condition, hardly any tartar (so I must be doing something a little right) but they are in such great shape they will do just a light cleaning throughout. A dental really isn't needed with the exception of what could be lying beneath the gumline on those big toofers. I did ask for Amicar in case he does get them pulled. I also suggested Arestin (as per RedHead who's vet used it for Teague). They will look into these antibiotic beads to see if it would be beneficial for Ryder. Who knows, they may save him a lot of pain, and me a lot of money!!! I also spoke to him about Ryder's limp and that it is time to get him on some meds to manage pain. We did some trotting in the parking lot and it was noticeable (like he had a rock in his shoe). I just wish I had time to take him to chiro regularly to get him fixed up but I can't. On that note, we are going to get x-rays done to put out any doubt of bone issues (every x-ray he's ever had has been negative) and once he's clear gonna get him on something. I'm sure he'll recommend Metacam or something - but I wanted to inquire here if that is the best suggestion? He has very sore muscles that get tight and knotted. Is Metacam really the best for something like that? I'm sure he's also developing some kind of mild arthritis but I'm not sure I want to start using the heavy hitting meds first. Thoughts on pain relievers (likely for the rest of his life)? Quote Proudly owned by:10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 201012.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015 Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.