My Male Dog Doesnt Lift His Leg To Pee 80% Of The Time

Guest Skynjet

Guest Skynjet

I have seen males squat lioe female.

My young, neutered male , 3yo rarelylifts his rear leg to pee, and half the time he just pees on his front legs and over time will eventually smelll.

Does anyone else experience this. Is there amy way to get him to lift hismleg to pee all the time?

It is no big deal. Some dogs do, both males and females, and some don't. I wouldn't even give it a second thought. We have had 5 males greyhounds in our home over the years. The only male dog I have had in my adult life that consistently lifts his leg is our Crestie, Freddie Mercury. And another Crestie, Sally Ride likes to lift her leg too.

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

My boy is tiny and he rarely lifts his leg. Sometimes it's just barely off the ground!

Baby wipes are your friend!

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

I'm not sure why you would care if they lifted their leg or not. I think it's best they didn't b/c then it seems they like to lift on furniture, walls, etc.

My males mostly squat. I did have one "marker" but for the most part, this household mostly squats, lol.

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc124/TgrrValily/CookieMac2009pt2/siggyyayayayayay.jpg

Waiting at the bridge: Buddy James, Cookie Dough, Shelby, and Mac. My angels :angelwings:angelwings:angelwings:angelwings

New dog mom to dachshunds Ginger and Ruger :banana:banana

my male, blue, mostly leg lifted. he'd occasionally squat & just miss his front legs (except once-he got a garden hose wash on the target leg). Poppy occasionally lifts her leg for posts and bushes, did last night.

why? because they can.

Regards,
Wayne Kroncke

CAVE CANEM RADIX LECTI ET SEMPER PARATUS
Vegetarians: My food poops on your food.

My oldest male loves to lift his leg on Noelle! Sure wish he didn't, the rest of the time he just goes as does the younger male. Years ago I dog sat a GSP that always sprayed his front legs & would pear down between his legs & get his face. He never learned to either squat or lift.

I have never seen Desi lift a leg to pee. He stretches out like a horse. Fortunately, he's v-e-r-y long, so has no issues hitting his front legs...

unless the wind is blowing a gale, & then you never know where that pee will end up.

Blessed is the person who has earned the love of an old dog.

We call that the "stallion pee."

Buck lifts sometimes, but if he's trying to mark another dog's pee, he stallion pees.

No reason to think that him lifting his leg would actually solve your pee leg problem, cause plenty of leg lifters manager to hit themselves too!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Cole often doesn't lift his leg. He actually is a complete non-marker, he only goes to eliminate and that's it. Rudy is a marking machine however (though not in the house thankfully).

Monty probably has about the same ratio of 'stretching' to 'lifting' to pee as the OP. He *does* hit his legs if I am not there to help direct traffic no matter whether he lifts or not (his leg-lift form SUCKS and he sags as he pees, swinging the stream across his right front foot...while when he stretches his aim is for his left front foot). I 'help' by catching his right knee when he lifts and holding it up - he also only lifts his right leg - and make sure he doesn't water his foot and hold it up when he moves forward one step so he doesn't put his back foot into the puddle. If he stretches, I will nudge his left knee toward his body so he aims between the 'goalposts', or nudge it back slightly so the stream is to the left of his left front paw. (He dangles to the left.)

I don't want to think about how gross his paws are from when my husband walks him....

I'm not sure why you would care if they lifted their leg or not.

Not sure, but I would imagine it has to do with the peeing on his own front legs thing. Dogs that lift their legs don't usually pee on themselves. Summit does both and never pees on himself, but I've had a few fosters that would pee on (or almost pee on) their front legs when they just stretched. It's not the end of the world, but it's a little bit annoying to have to deal with that multiple times a day, day in and day out, and if there was a way to avoid or correct it I'm sure most of us would. Unfortunately, I don't think training to lift a leg when peeing is an easy feat. It's definitely do-able, but it certainly won't be easy. It may be possible to use a stick of some sort to gently push his front leg forward a step when he starts to posture, just to get it a little further up. I say a stick because I don't think you want to stick your foot there in case you get peed on! If you're lucky muscle memory may take over and he may start to just posture this way on his own. Maybe.

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

Not sure, but I would imagine it has to do with the peeing on his own front legs thing. Dogs that lift their legs don't usually pee on themselves. Summit does both and never pees on himself, but I've had a few fosters that would pee on (or almost pee on) their front legs when they just stretched. It's not the end of the world, but it's a little bit annoying to have to deal with that multiple times a day, day in and day out, and if there was a way to avoid or correct it I'm sure most of us would. Unfortunately, I don't think training to lift a leg when peeing is an easy feat. It's definitely do-able, but it certainly won't be easy. It may be possible to use a stick of some sort to gently push his front leg forward a step when he starts to posture, just to get it a little further up. I say a stick because I don't think you want to stick your foot there in case you get peed on! If you're lucky muscle memory may take over and he may start to just posture this way on his own. Maybe.

I just finally caught that in their post! My bad, lol. I hate the marking thing so I guess that's why I'm so anti leg lifting.

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc124/TgrrValily/CookieMac2009pt2/siggyyayayayayay.jpg

Waiting at the bridge: Buddy James, Cookie Dough, Shelby, and Mac. My angels :angelwings:angelwings:angelwings:angelwings

New dog mom to dachshunds Ginger and Ruger :banana:banana

Guest MnMDogs

Mork rarely lifted his leg and just about never peed on his front legs, he stretched them out so far to the front we called him superman when he peed, he looked like he was pretending he was flying,

Greg sometimes lifts and sometimes doesn't. But he pees on himself about 75% of the time...we just keep baby wipes handy and scrub him down if he does. It's kind of gross, I understand, but the baby wipes are a huge help.

Kasey always had enough lean and angle that he never peed on himself. Ryder....well nearly every time he goes it happens. I simply give his legs a quick wipe down with kleenex that I keep at the door. It's how they pee. Better outside and on their legs than inside in your house on your floor I always say!

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015