Question About Removing The Smell Of Urine

Ok folks, I need some help. Millie who is 3.5 years has been having accidents in her crate. We have been to the vet 2 times already, once for a free form catch and the other was a sterile sample. During the sterile one, they used an ultrasound and noticed that her bladder wall was thickened but No UTI, I was shocked but the vet states that there is no infection. there were also not stones or masses (thank dog as Maddie passed from bladder cancer.) Millie does have a hooded vulva and is on some cranberry chews for her bladder and also has an ointment that I put on her lady parts. I don't mind this so much as I went through it with Maddie in the last few months of her life. I wash her blankets but she still has accidents. What I can use to get the urine smell out of her blankets in her crate. I also wash the crate pan as well.

Thanks

Amy and Millie (the pee pee queen) lol

Amy Human Mommy to fur baby Maddie (Doobiesaurus) TDI certified. May 5, 2002-September 12, 2014 and Mille (Mac's Bayou Baby)CGC, TDI certified.

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj93/Chillyhorse/siggies/maddie.jpg"]http://i270. photobucket.com/albums/jj93/Chillyhorse/siggies/maddie.jpg[/img]

Guest Skynjet

Natures miracle is prob ur best bet. To be honest, it never really goes away.

U do have to inves in a carpet steamer. Im also considering just tiling everything too.

Guest GoingGrey

I can second Nature's Miracle.

Jammer was peeing in the house/crate constantly when I got her. In fact we went thru all the same tests and suspicions and never found a medical reason, so i chalked it up to stress or prior bad habits since it disappeared on its own.

But the key is to absorbing up what urine you can then saturate the area w/NM. Be sure NOT to use any other cleaning substance or water on area tho cuz this can keep the NM from working. Seriously, NO water washing until you've done at least 2 rounds of the Nature's Miracle first.

NM now makes a version for hard floors, may be worth trying for inside a crate.

You might try K.O.E. Kennel Odor Eliminator. We use it outside on the hounds' playground bark potty area, inside house, and on dog beds. Per Thornell (K.O.E. manufacturer), any of their odor eliminator products can be used directly on dogs (for skunk odor, etc.) It's non-toxic, non-carcinogenic, biodegradable, and highly concentrated so one bottle lasts a very, very long time. The built-in easy measuring section ensures no product waste. http://www.entirelypets.com/koe-concentrate-fresh-scent-16-oz.html

I've also had laundry success with some other pet laundry detergents made for quick rinsing, available at pet stores.

I know you are asking for advice on how to get rid of urine odor, but I hope you are not taking the vet's inability to tell you why she is having accidents that there is nothing wrong and that you should just accept the fact that she will have accidents. The fact that she has a thickened bladder wall should clue them into the fact that something is not right.

I went through this with Nadir, It was written up in the last report a couple of months before he died that the accidents he had been having were most likely behavioral. The necropsy revealed chronic end stage renal disease.

The one thing that I found that contributed most to his accidents was food allergies. Every time I was able to isolate a particular food and remove it from his diet the accidents would stop.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1852600/